If you had to put together a starting XI for Qatar 2022, who would be in it?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ofori, May 16, 2020.

1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Weah as captain...I mean his father George was a captain for Liberia and Tim being a captain for the USA...it is only fitting

2. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    He is a born leader, he just needs to stake his claim with a club and stay on the field. However, I don’t see why that won’t happen.

3. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll say Adams myself. As much as I love Wes’ grit and motor, I think Adams is more likely to be the impact player we want on the field at all times. They’re both solid leaders and I don’t think we can go wrong.

4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Unless they decide to go with Pulisic as the captain and really why shouldn't they if he is the poster boy for American soccer? People easily compare Pulisic with Landon Donovan anyway so why not give it to Pulisic? I mean he is a born leader

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The captain should always be someone who's level-headed and knows how to protest a decision without making himself get kicked out of the field for it.

TCS35 repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Do you say everyone is a born leader?

Pulisic is very good at soccer, but I've never seen anyone compliment him on leadership skills in particularly. Personality-wise, he doesn't seem like a player who asserts himself in that way.

Landon is a good example; he was only captain 19 times in 142 starts.

Everyone comments positively on Adams' leadership qualities. Wes seems like someone who has some of those skills as well. Steffen and Brooks are in vocal positions and will likely start if healthy (which is important, too).

I actually don't really get the whole captain obsession. Leaders lead with or without a label.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Often is not a good idea to have your star be the captain, since he's the one supposed to talk to the refs about fouls not called, dives by opposing players, and now demand a VAR decision.

You don't want your best player putting himself at risk of ending on the wrong side of a ref having a bad day.

8. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I guess you have an interesting point

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This x100

Zinkoff and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Just cause their the best doesn’t make them an ideal captain. Def want a level head there but they have to be near the top the squad and a lock starter.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jozy is good because he speaks Spanish. Edit: But he likely will be subbed a lot and it's easier with same captain for 90'

12. DMaster

DMaster New Member

United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Wandering but not lost
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could definitely see guys like Adams or McKennie getting the armband at some point. Wouldn't be surprised if Pulisic ends up getting it before, but don't see it as a good choice at all personally.
    Don't see Weah getting it either, unless he managed to secure his place as a starter with national team, which he hasn't done yet if we're being honest.

13. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
  14. DMaster

DMaster New Member

United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Wandering but not lost
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first glance, Sargent and Reyna are glaring omissions to this squad. Valid arguments can be made whether they should starting or not. But without question they make the squad.

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    NFW is Roldan a starter.

16. DMaster

DMaster New Member

United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Wandering but not lost
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That as well for sure. Also don't buy into the 4-5-1 setup either. A 3 at the back formation is possible but considering who we're looking at for the first/main XI, I'd want to see us go with a 4-2-3-1.
    Steffen in goal is easy. In front of him, would go with Cannon, Long, Brooks, Dest. Adams and McKennie are the mid 2, supporting Morris, Pulisic, Boyd, with Jozy up top.
    Some variations that could come into play: at the back, if Robinson could prove to be a viable starter at LB, could go with him and Dest on the right. Still would like to see Brooks and Miazga together get another shot potentially.
    Further up, Reyna could force his way into a starting role of he progresses the way he's supposed to. He would then take Pulisic's place at the 1, pushing him to the left in the process.
    That's a group with real potential and could be real exciting down the line. Just hope that Berhalter can make the most out of that talented group he has on hand.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Our most mature player (in a pack of young un's) is Gio Reyna. Didn't McKennie captain the choke team that lost the Gold Cup? Adams might fit the bill eventually but not yet, imo. There's plenty of time for Adams and he is in a good place.

18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The choke team that lost the Gold Cup?

You mean the team, missing its #1 CB, its #1 CM, and had its #1 striker only have 30 good minutes him, that lost 1-0 against a superior talent Mexico team despite winning the expected goals battle? Oh, and Mexico got away with a clear red card.

All with a coach that most here think is awful?

Yes, we know you don’t like McKennie. The revisionism is terrible.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was just replying to Dmaster who said
    "Could definitely see guys like Adams or McKennie getting the armband at some point."

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The MLS tournament made me think of how the Union's formation and style would fit the US. The Union use a trequartista, 2 pressing and hard-running forwards, and a tight and mobile midfield trio, It actually looks to be a good fit.

[​IMG]

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you’re asking way way too much defensively of Gio to play that shutter role.

HomietheClown repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Depends how he develops with his club.

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but it won’t be in that role. That’s not how they play or how they’ve used him to date.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #199 IndividualEleven, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    It doesn't have to be that role in order for the player to excel in it. Just a midfield role.

25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020

This lineup is the perfect 11 for USA for 2022