If you had to put together a starting XI for Qatar 2022, who would be in it?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ofori, May 16, 2020.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    '3G' just refers to Berhalter's first name.

2. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I’m in the minority, but I wouldn’t be opposed to playing CBs to match our opponent. Against Concacaf, we need good passers who can defend counters and crosses. Against teams where we will yield possession, good tacklers and defensive stalwarts would probably be better. We don’t have top notch, well-rounded CBs right now, and it doesn’t look like we are going to in the next few years But when we drew against France, our defenders were Miazga, CCV, and Tim Parker. None of those players is exactly an amazing passer, although I’m of the opinion that Miazga had some very good passes out of the back in that game. I think we almost all agree that Brooks should be starting any game he’s healthy, but I’m not sure his partner from one game to the next absolutely has to be the same person (or people).

IndividualEleven repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Reasonable, but swapping out CBs to more effectively matchup against the opposition is not the done thing. Maybe some coach will make trendy, someday.

4. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And people always want to argue about who is better. But imo, to be the best coach you can be, you have to make the best decisions for every possible moment and shut out all the noise.

As of yet, we just don’t have 2 must start CBs. Hopefully, one emerges in the next two years and this won’t be an issue.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don’t think Brooks is a must start CB or do you think his injury history means you don’t want to bank on him being available

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The counter to this idea is usually that centerbacks are better when they have built up some familiarity and cohesion and swapping them out reduces that.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Brooks makes me nervous.

For two good games with the NT, he has a terrible one.

8. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But with Brooks he's your most experienced CB though

9. Pixiejoe7

Pixiejoe7 Member

Universidad Católica
    United States
    Jun 5, 2020
    I don't think speed gap between Miazga and Long is that wide. Even if Long does have the advantage in that area, he's shown that he struggles in 1v1 defending against decent to good sides and has been burned pretty badly like vs Venezuela, Mexico x2, and Canada (away leg).

Meanwhile I think Miazga has just looked better for the NT than Long. Under Bert's reign the only bad Miazga moment I can think of is on Jamaica's goal in the gold cup semi, he could've done better there. Meanwhile Long has had those moments I mentioned above. Miazga's also had really good games against Portugal and France.

Patrick167 repped this.
  10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Straight line speed, maybe. However, Long is much better at turning his hips in stride and lateral movement.

gogorath repped this.
  11. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    GK- Steffen
    LB- Vines
    CB- Brooks (captain)
    CB- Zimmerman
    RB- Cannon
    CDM- Dest
    CDM- Adams
    LAM- Pulisic
    CAM- Sargent
    RAM- Reyna
    CF- Weah

A team centered around youth even though you have the old head, the vet Brooks as your captain

But you have an attacking lineup with Weah as your lone striker up front

Pulisic, Reyna and Sargent as a trio playing behind Weah makes the attack even more lethal

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think it's pretty wide.

I can remember at least two times that his choices in recent play have lead to goals. He's simply not that quick to react.

He's fine; I'm not going to overly complain if Miazag plays. But I'd rather have Long back there defensively. Though Miazga is a MUCH better offensive player.

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I enjoy your lineups because there's always one giant what? positionally in there. Sargent as a CAM is unlikely, when Reyna, Weah and Pulisic would all be better choices.

I also don't get Sergino Dest as CDM. It's a weird role for a guy who's dribbling skills are probably his best asset.

Weah is an interesting wildcard, though. I think he's best as a winger, but he could play a number of positions. If he's healthy, his upside could launch him into forcing choices in the starting role.

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately he’s starting to show that he might just be one of those guys who’s always injured. He’s still young so who knows but he’s had an uncanny ability to be consistently injured. He never struck me as a WC potential talent but as high floor low ceiling which would still be very good for us. Either way, I hope he manages to string together some time healthy. Always hate to see careers never get off the ground or come to an early end because of injuries.

15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I went with a more unique lineup but yeah you have familiar faces but new names which is what I was going for

16. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to say, My best XI right now is....

------------------------Steffen----------------------------
    ---Yedlin------Brooks--------Long-------Dest-------
    -----------------------Yueill---------------------------------
    -------------Adams--------------Mckennie--------
    --------Pulisic-------------------Reyna----------------
    ----------------------Altidore--------------------------

Miazga, Weah, and Sargent can get there, but it's going to depend on their club form over the next 30 months.

Reyna needs to keep getting minutes for Dortmund, because Jordan Morris has done really well for The NT.

Steffen is likely headed back to Manchester City, where he's presumably not going to play a lot. If Horvath can lock down a starting spot for a decent club, I'd consider dropping Steffen.

Dest is likely on his way to an elite club. If the move goes well then he's a lock starter for Qatar. If he finds himself on the reserve team, we may need to look elsewhere.

There's also guys like Ledezma, Llanez, Gloster, and Richards. Can any of them break into a first team by 2022? It's unlikely that all 4 will, but maybe 1 of them will.

Ofori repped this.
  17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Going with a 4-1-4-1 formation...not bad

18. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point was supposed to be that we only have 1 must start CB. But since you bring it up, yeah I think we have to at least explore other options as a backup plan because he is injured so often. But usually that works itself out in WCQs and Friendlies before the WC

19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure. And yea it’s def a concern. However, while Brooks is the only top class CB if we changed systems to highlight Wes and Adams CB would be less of an issue.

Lookingforleftbacks and Patrick167 repped this.
  20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Then who would you have leading this team as its captain? Who should have the armband for Qatar 2022?

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    looks like Weston is seizing a leadership role off-the-field.

22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Or you can even give the armband to Pulisic, Brooks or Steffen

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Tyler Adams is the most likely long term captain for this team.

Lookingforleftbacks and Ofori repped this.
  24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I guess I could live with that

25. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I see Adams or Weah in that role. Both have been leaders among their peers on US youth teams and both will likely be regulars on the Nats performing at a high level with their club teams.