If you had to put together a starting XI for Qatar 2022, who would be in it?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Ofori, May 16, 2020.

1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    For the Oranje, for the Netherlands, if you guys had to put together a starting 11 for Qatar 2022, should you guys qualify, then who would be in your starting 11 right now...this is merely for fun but I obviously wanna pick your guys' brains on this

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would boycott the Qatar World Cup for ethical reasons. All the arenas were built with slave labor.

Brilliant Dutch and Ofori repped this.
  3. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    That's true but even then I can still see the Dutch going to Qatar regardless

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's amazing that the mainstream media has not made a big deal out of this (yet)

5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    GK- Jasper Cillessen
    LB- Jetro Willems
    CB- Virgil Van Dijk (captain)
    CB- Matthias de Ligt
    RB- Denzel Dumfries
    CDM- Kevin Strootman
    LCM- Frenkie de Jong
    RCM- Donny Van de Beek
    LW- Justin Kluivert
    CF- Memphis Depay
    RW- Calvin Stengs

(4-2-3-1)

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree. There was so much bribery going on to buy votes for Qatar and then the use of slave labor. I don't care when it's held, I'm not going to watch any of the matches.

7. Qatar isnot going to take place. The time to play qualifying matches isnot there and the corona virus has shaken the clubs, which are essential in soccer, from their financial foundation, thus necesitating the time given to play soccer matches primarily going to club matches. International soccer has to take time off.

8. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I bet it does happen and if it doesn't, worst case they postpone until 2023

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I kind of lean to your side of this debate. I just don't see FIFA giving up the money associated with broadcasting a World Cup. I mean, people do understand we are talking about FIFA, right?

Brilliant Dutch and Ofori repped this.
  10. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Exactly which means even if they miss the boat on 2022 they would just move it to 2023 because there is no way they would cancel it altogether and lose millions if not billions of dollars in revenue

11. So what?
    FIFA can do shit if the Euro clubs put their existence first.

12. The point isnot about moving it, but about the lack of possibility to even play qualifiers. Without qualifiers there's no WC.

13. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    You're right but then if they move the World Cup to 2023, you can have the qualifiers start in 2021 and continue on into 2022 and then you can have the World Cup in 2023...simple solution

14. Did you forget they're trying to get the Euro 2021 to take place and are struggling to get league competitions running again? Clubs need the play day slots which will be scarce to survive. All clubs in Europe are on the brink of a financial disaster and the last thing they can use is those precious slots being taken by either UEFA and/or FIFA. International soccer is the very last in the row to get a turn.

Orange14 repped this.
  15. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hmm...

Most likely I'd say this for now:

Cillessen
    Zeefuik - van Dijk - de Ligt - Wijndal
    de Jong - Wijnaldum
    Bergwijn - Stengs - Malen
    Memphis​

A lot can change between now and then. Some really interesting players coming up right now and making cases for themselves.

wilson00 repped this.
  16. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Or another lineup I would go with in a 4-2-3-1

GK- Cillessen
    LB- Blind
    CB- Van Dijk (captain)
    CB- de Ligt
    RB- Dumfries
    DM- de Jong
    DM- Wjinaldum
    LAM- Bergwijn
    CAM- Stengs
    RAM- Kluivert
    CF- Depay

17. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Depay-Malen

Groeneveld-Frenkie-Veerman- stengs

Wijndal-Van Dijk - De ligt- karsdorp

Bizot

18. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Veerman is a great shout (his passing is unreal) but Wijnaldum is still the best midfielder the Netherlands have. Groeneveld over someone like Bergwijn, Promes et. al. doesn't seem to make much sense yet either, eh?

19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Bizot I can even see him now as keeper first choice especially if the Dutch qualify for Qatar

20. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #20 wilson00, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Groeneveld has only gone awol because of niggling foot injury which he sustained in the preseason and then the same injury reoccurred on the different foot after recovering and while featuring for Bournemouth in epl. he had to go for rehabilitation program in Doha requiring considerable period on the sidelines and which also ruled him out of euros. there is no doubt what so ever that he has a better ceiling than both Promes and Bergwijn. the reason why I rate him highly is because firstly he is dual footed (Fluent) and secondly what he showcased just in his first cap for NT, Promes and Bergwign have come nowhere to it even with how manys caps for NT now under their belt.

I also see Promes returning to Eredivisie as a downward trajectory after flopping at Sevilla.he is thriving in team with some of the best players in eredivisie and playing against average teams throughout the season except for few and piling up goals. you also look at Berghuis, he is also in the same boat. when the same players are not around them or when they are up against more competitive teams than eredivise (CL & EL) they look average. My concern here is what if everybody starts returning to eredivisie. klaassen,El Ghazi, kluivert etc.

as for Bergwijn I have already said this before, he will never become a top winger. his only weapon is his speed. you stop his acceleration he is done. plus more importantly he is not a top finisher especially at NT level.

imo both Promes and Bergwijn will fade out when more competition heats up,especially when the likes of Dilrosun, Adekanye, stengs, Ihattaren including Groeneveld start burning all clyinders.

21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    How about Justin Kluivert

22. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Listen, I like Groeneveld a lot. I think I was the first person on this forum to pump him up especially during his breakout season with NEC. Let's be clear though...if you're going to use his brief stint with the NT to compare him to Bergwijn can't you do the same with Bergwijn in the PL compared to what Groeneveld has done since leaving NEC? Bergwijn has dominated at the Eredivisie (not just the numbers he puts up, but his underlying ones as well) and has hit the ground running at the PL getting rave reviews from Spurs. I think he's looked fine with the Oranje, and keep in mind he is still young. There's no way that Groeneveld has a higher ceiling than Bergwijn IMO, I think you're underrating him badly. I'm not a big fan of Berghuis; he's a very good Eredivisie player nothing more.

23. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My friend I have also followed Groeneveld from the NEC days and thats where im coming from.when bergwijn trajectory was going up, Groeneveld's was going down , when he joined NEC who during that time were playing in eredivisie and after which they got relegated the following season. It would useless to compare both head to head because even though groeneveld has featured for three different clubs, he still has played far less games than bergwijn. 117 - 70 infact.

Now comparision of Groeneveld since he left NEC to bergwijn in PL. From a second division, groeneveld went up to light on the CL stage . This is something extraordinary and why else do you think koeman gave him the nod and again this is where im coming from. How many games he played for club brugge before getting the call up and again keep in mind this was his first season in the top flight. Just a comparison here nothing else.Also mind you ,after his CL performance there were big clubs who started scouting him including tottenham but were put off after his injury vs belguim. It was bornemouth who then took the gamble and signed him.

Comparison of Bergwijn,I have ready talked about both at NT level. Yes bergwijn scored on debut for tottenham, but so did Locadia on his debut for Brighton. What followed after? Could give bergwijn the benefit of doubt like you said.he is still young but looking at him after the city game it was the same as expected. He runs alot, no doubt is fast but the moment he looses his acceleration he is done.average. The only thing I will acknowledge about him is his defensive input which significantly contributes to the team while defending. His cover up to the full backs is excellent.

24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    The main scoring threat for the Dutch up front either will be Memphis or it will be Kluivert

wilson00 repped this.