If you could request ESPN Classic to show ONE U.S. game, which would it be?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Mglnbea, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you could compel ESPN Classic to show one U.S. game from its complete history, which ONE game would you choose to view?
    Only ONE choice, no multiple selections, state your reason(s) why.

To start off, I'll choose "other." I'll choose U.S. vs. Saudia Arabia in a 1995 friendly played at RFK Stadium. SA had broken out to a 3-0 lead, but the U.S. battled back and won the game, 4-3. Lalas, Moore, Ramos and Lassiter scored goals. It may have been the best comeback ever for a USMNT.

2. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like this question.

obviously you'd have to go with the 1950 England match, and the 1930 match where Patenaude scored the hat-trick ... love to see that one too. but since that's not possible ...

i'd want to see the 94 Colombia match again, just because i had a harrowing time trying to watch that thing live. still one of the biggest matches in our history, maybe the biggest.

oh and people will bring up the Golf Cup victory over Brasil (or was it a tie? ... can't remember). that was apparently the best performance by a GK ever, according to Romario.

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great poll & thread topic, with tons of diverse response options. (However, the poll does lend itself to multiple choices, and while I've tried to see if I can fix that, I cannot. You might want to PM a super-mod about that.)

As for the question, I'm expecting votes on just about every answer -- but something tells me that the majority of the rank and file here can't get enough of the USA v Mexico match from Korea in 2002.

4. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    check the US Soccer Torrents thread - you can download both of these matches. :)

5. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a torrent of the 1930 semifinal? ;)

Heh, wouldn't it be cool, though, to have complete games on film from back then? I dream.

- Paul

6. cyn0979

cyn0979 New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Queens, NY
    Thats my choice. I would love to see that game again.

7. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    For me, I'll take the 2002WC games - the USA:portugal game or the USA:Germany game but they are "true" poll options. Oh well :)

EDIT: Oh, and I'd love to see us beat Brazil again :)

8. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for the 1950 US - England match, as it's the most important match I haven't watched.

For the more recent ones, I'd love to watch US v. Brazil in the '94 World Cup again. I attended the game, but as I was 13 at the time, I don't remember that much. The few memories I do have: Dooley coming oh-so-close to connecting with a pass at the far post, Leonardo smacking Ramos with the elbow, and Bebeto's goal.

I would have voted for US v. Mexico at the 2002 World Cup, but that game still has "Save Until I Delete" status on TiVo :)

9. robby241

robby241 New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    US
    US v. Mexico 2002 World Cup... that was a fine day.

10. i_heart_the_quakes

i_heart_the_quakes New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Home at last!
    Feb. 2001 WCQ- US vs. Mexico in Cbus :)

11. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I'll have to go with the 2002 world cup games. Germany we should have beat, but Khan was a beast. Definitely, vs Portugal or Mexico. Seeing Beasley run on Figo like that, or beating Mexico with no excuses. Priceless. :)

12. huskyinnyc

huskyinnyc New Member

Jul 30, 2005
    New York, NY
    either portugal or mexico would be fine with me!

13. CarlosE

CarlosE Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Calvert County, MD
    If the question included what "live" game one would like ESPN to show, I say September 3rd's U.S.-Mexico game.

Instead, ESPN is only showing a taped-delayed game in the middle of the night 2:30 - 4:30 a.m. :mad:

14. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for me, it doesnt get any better than that game against Colombia....big upset that was.

also the T&T game in 1989....the most important game ever played for the USA since 1950, and continues to be

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well shoot, all you had to do was ask.

;) [​IMG] ;)

16. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    I have that game on tape (VCR). It's a great game, but not much importance. Besides, SA defense is like a wall of oil trying to stop a gas truck.

17. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    I have that game on tape (VCR). It's a great game, but not much importance. Besides, SA defense is like a wall of oil trying to stop a gas truck.

18. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Great idea for a thread! It's really impossible to choose, there are so many of those that I'd like to see. One that I'd really like to see that didn't make the list is the U.S. v. Brazil game in 1998 (I can't remember the tournament -- was it the Copa America? Confederations Cup?). I've never seen the game, but I'd like to see it just to see Keller -- by all accounts, he put in one of the greatest performances from a keeper ever (I think I remember reading that Romario went up to Keller after the match and shook his hand and said something to the effect that he'd never played against a keeper who played out of his mind like that...).

19. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    I chose USA vs England in 1993 for selfish reasons. I didn't see that game. My second pick would have been US vs T&T because I didn't see that game either. I also would like to see US vs Italy WC1990 & US vs Italy USCup1993. Haven't seen those games either. Other games that I didn't see but I didn't pick were games from 1950 and earlier. Those games are black & white and have poor quality recordings and sound. Although I wouldn't mind seeing them.

20. gaucho

gaucho Member

Dec 17, 2001
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1998 Gold Cup at the LA Coliseum.

21. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. vs. T&T, WCQ, 1989 (1-0)

22. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First choice. 1950 USA 1-0 England
    close behind. 2001 USA 2-0 Mexico in Columbus
    .................. 2002 USA 3-2 Portugal
    .................. ? USA 1-0 Brasil (Preki/Keller!!! Gold Cup)

23. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    What, all nine seconds of footage?

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Let's be real; you have to have the whole game on tape (i.e., anything after 1994's US Cup game with Germany on ABC).

For one game? I'd take USA 3:2 Portugal. "THEY ARE DROMMING PORTUGAL!"

25. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, easy choice...

USA-Brasil 1998

Why?

I've never seen it.

I don't imagine a whole lot of people have.

EDIT:

Runner up that no one's mentioned yet...

1995 US Cup at RFK...USA 4 Mexico 0

...if only to hear Seamus say "Claudio Reyna...is the essence of cool..."