If you could only watch one league until you die, would it be MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Scoey, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Interesting responses, folks. Here's why I'd follow MLS:

1) Emotional attachment is more important to me than level of play. Of course MLS soccer isn't as evolved as that in other leagues. The athletes and skill are inferior. But not so much inferior that the difference is enough to overcome my emotional investment in the league. I vastly prefer college basketball and football to the pros, even though the players aren't as good. Same deal here with soccer. Of course, the difference is, with college hoops and gridball, the atmosphere is better than in the pros. Not so with MLS/other leagues. MLS atmosphere, largely, sucks. I guess my emotional attachment to the league is that strong.

2) I firmly believe the gap between MLS and the top leagues will evaporate in my lifetime. I'm only 27. I plan on being around for another 50 years. I would hate to miss out on watching our baby grow.

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know I'm a trader, BUT

English Premiership is my favorite hands down. MLS is getting better for me, but nothing beats the crowd noise and the history of the English game. I have watched EPL bottom feeder matches before over and over again...that is how much I'm hooked to the EPL.

Gimme a break, this is my 1st year following MLS..closely, ie. (MLS Wrap, visit MLSnet daily, watch 90%+ of all MLS televised matches). Give the league 10 more years of growth and maybe 5 more clubs or more, also with US great economy players will want to play here. Beckham already wants to live here, perfect way to draw fans. Bet my left nut, he joins the Galaxy or the Metros, for Posh...big nancy boy!

3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    EPL.

MLS would be about number #9 on my list.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I have absolutely no emotional attachment to any club outside of the United States. Why should I?

I'll watch MLS. They are the best in the world to me.

5. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Re: I know I'm a trader, BUT

No you're not a traitor.

6. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Given that I've never lived within several hundred miles of any MLS team, I would definitely pick probably half a dozen leagues before MLS. And yes, i do support MLS. I have the damn shoot-out package so don't give me any hell for it. My interest in MLS is almost entirely based on my desire to see it and soccer succeed financially. As for individual games, I don't think I've ever seen an MLS match in which I cared who won (not counting gambling). The teams have only been around for 7 or so years and as such don't have the kind of "personality" that teams in more established leagues have. I may not have a favorite team in Europe, but the historical, political, ethnic identity of the teams make for incredibly intriguing match-ups. Such intrigue simply does not exist in MLS. Rivalries need to be based on more than a few dozen fans from their respective teams' supporters' groups getting in arguements on Bigsoccer. Europe offers that.

And of course from a purely asthetic perspective, there are plenty of more entertaining leagues. I mean that in terms of level of play and certainly in terms of atmosphere. I've watched loads of MLS and I must say the atmosphere is usually supplied solely by suburbanites surrounded by empty seats (LA an honorable exception) politely and calmly enjoying their afternoon.

So I hope aliens never give me such an unfortunate choice. But if they do, it'll be Spain, England or Germany for me, unless the Champions League is an option.