If you could only watch one league until you die, would it be MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Scoey, Sep 12, 2003.

1. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    I am.

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Well you don't live in the states, now do you?

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i did until a month ago... and what difference does that make anyway? did MLS suddenly become the most exciting league in the world over the past few weeks and i missed it?

4. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree with Bluedaddy. I have always wondered why people love college football, college basketball, and MLS so much. Wouldn't you rather watch the sport at the highest level? NFL, NBA, EPL etc.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

But what if you have no connection to it? It's boring then.

6. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Do you know the names of any non-MLS foreign players? Other then Beckham and Ronaldo??

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i do have a connection to MLS and i realize that it has come light years in less than a decade, but i also realize that if i was restricted to one league... it wouldn't stand a chance of being my pick - i'm sure a lot of american BSers think i am a eurosnob with my AJAX and my ORANJE, but i was a fan of dutch football before MLS existed and i grew up watching bundesliga... i know what quality football looks like

my view on MLS: it's a lot better than europeans think and not nearly as good as BS posters think... still saying MLS is the most exciting league and the one you'd restrict yourself until the end of time to is like saying you'd be happy giving up friends, curb your enthusiasm, scrubs, seinfeld, the larry sanders show, the simpsons, all in the family and cheers to only watch urkel forever

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

But that's the thing. You may care and have a deep connection to Europe, but I don't. I'd much rather have my lower quality but steadily improving league and care than watch "better" European leagues and be totally apathetic.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ... yet you have arsenal listed as one of your teams - besides how much attachment did you have to MLS when it started? what did you watch before MLS began?

i think plenty of the 'MLS fans' just refuse to watch european BECAUSE they don't want to admit it is better... which it is of course the premiership is better! it had a 90-something year head start! - therefore, personally, i don't see why saying the EPL is better than MLS is a slam to MLS - i think it's more a case of inferior complexes than superiority complexes at work here... not that there aren't plenty of instances where the reverse is true

but to deny yourself the finer things... tsk tsk

ooh! i thought of a better analogy! it's like a rhein fire or scotland claymores fan refusing to watch the NFL because it's american

10. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

I'm a VERY passive Arsenal fan. I just wanted a team to watch because I semi-follow the EPL. And, I started following MLS the same time I started to follow soccer, so it's been MLS since the begining.

Please note, I DO watch and enjoy European leagues, but if it came down to a choice of MLS or anyother league for the rest of my life, MLS would win hands down. That's just me.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

makes perfect sense

12. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    MLS without Dragon High School Stadium. Then every four years the world Cup then, i would have to travell to Europe to see El Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United and Juventus playing live.

13. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. I know a few more in the EPL but that's about it.

Why, should I?

14. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    That's me too.

15. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Quoth the guy supporting Brazil, Holland, and Man U.

16. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    I prefer the NFL to college football. But as for basketball, I prefer college basketball. NBA is just full of showtime and 20 second post-ups. I'm tired of the NBA. NBA has no flow. We all know the refs help the star players in every sport. But NBA refs are beyond pathetic. College basketball has more upsets too. Plus, just because something is of higher level, it doesn't make it more entertaining. Take the Serie A for example. Using international soccer as an example now, I'm a US fan, which means I'm going to watch a US game over any of the Brazils, Argentinas, Italys, Germanys, England,etc. Yes, even if that means the Brazils, Argentinas, Italys, Germanys, England, etc. are of higher level.Ask a Peruvian, Mexican, Danish, Irish.etc and see what national team they prefer watching more. The majority want to watch games of their own country. As for MLS, MLS needs our money and support ten times more than any of the European leagues and we'll do our best to support it. Also for the 100th time, I'm sick of the same 6 teams dominating each European league year after year.

17. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What do you mean? Brazil, Holland, and Manchester United play at an extremely high level.

18. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Does Pavel Nedved or Christian Vieri ring a bell? Did you watch any World Cup games?

I think people are missing out on some spectacular soccer by just watching MLS. No offense Stilger, but MLS doesn't have a player with the skills of Zinedine Zidane, Nedved, or Ronaldinho

19. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Never heard of any of them.

You could put Jesus out there, but he'd still be playing soccer.

While I'm willing to sit down and watch a game if there's nothing else on, why should I care about leagues or teams I have no emotional attachment to?

I'll watch it as a curiosity, nothing more.

20. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yeah, that was my point. You might as well ask "Why are you a Dallas Burn fan, they're terrible this year." I just thought that it was fitting that the guy who supports only the best teams be confused about why someone would be interested in, say, the A-league or Yeovil Town or whatever.

21. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Damn-- what does this question really have to do with MLS anyway?

It's about supporting the teams that you have a connection to-- even if they're not the greatest. I don't understand how you can second-guess fans in the US when supporters everywhere make the same decision (to support lower division or frankly crap teams) because they like them.

22. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you!

That's the point I was trying to make.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Exactly!

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    My answer to the thread question would be La Liga (can't believe I'm the first one). Clearly the best league in terms of quality and entertainment!

But if the thread question was "if you could only watch one American sports league... ", my answer would be MLS! The other 3 major sports are for yuppies with too much free-time on their hands (4 hour games :rolleyes: ) and who will probably eat-up anything that the media feeds them.

25. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that doesn't matter to him. He's clearly explained what his priorities are. He's a local sports fan who has attended some Galaxy games and had a very nice time. That's what is important TO HIM.

Maybe TO YOU level of play is more important, but TO HIM supporting the Galaxy is the key. My Dad roots for Public League High School Football teams in Illinois, even though it is obvious that the Catholic League is leaps and bounds better (a contention he has no problems agreeing with). Why? Because he has an emotional investment in the Public League that he doesn't have in the Catholic League.