If you could interview any one person who ever played the game..

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Who would it be and why?

It doesn't matter if they are alive or dead, nor does the era they played in. Lets say the person you pick will give you his honest opinion and not some politically correct BS..he'll tell you all his true thoughts on anything you ask.

It would be interesting if you include what you would ask them as well. :)

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This reminds me of Denis Law's famous response to the question of what he would say to the Mexican team at half-time during WC 94 "Firstly lads, sorry, because i can't speak Spanish".

Even assuming the language barrier is no problem I would like to interview Sol Campbell and ask him why he lied to the Spurs fans when he said he never wanted to leave the club.

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    And there's me thinking you'd pick a Puskas or something... :D

Club loyalties run deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep huh? :D

4. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three that come to mind off the top of my head:

Garrincha
    Kubala
    Schumacher

I'd like to hear Garrincha's feelings about his place in history, Pele, and Brasil today. Kubala-I'd like to hear him speak about playing for Barca during the Franco era. Schumacher...well, you know the play.

5. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Ruud Gullitt,

Why in the hell did you walk out on Oranje right before the 94 World Cup?

How many girls have you banged? Who was the best?

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    The obvious one for me is Brian Clough. I've heard a lot of second hand stories about him from Peter Shilton, so it would be great to hear them from the horse's mouth.

Other than Cloughie I would love to have a good chat with Jimmy Hill, much criticised but one of the most influential people in the history of British football.

7. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Well if you had said "who would you like to meet" then i would have gone for someone a bit bigger, but most of the top players aren't really enigmas any more. Most of the top players have all been extensively interviewed and written about, but Campbell doesn't talk much.

Another person I'd like to speak to is Gary Lineker. He once said that when he scored his two penalties against Cameroon he was thinking of his brother, and i'd like to know why.

8. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Pele', Maradona, Romario and Redondo becos they're all notch players I'd ask their thoughts on how the game should be played then we'd have a 3 on 2 scimmage - me and Pele' v the rest. :D

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    We hate Jimmy Hill, he's a poof, he's a po*f! :D

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I hit post instead of preview. Anyway, I would like to talk to Eric Cantona and Roy Keane. They sum up my attitude to the game perfectly.

11. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Garrincha or Maradona...two of the most "colorful" figures in soccer
    Hugo Sanchez too...hes a d!ick and I'd like to know why

12. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu
    Lmao true so true..

I would interview englands 86 national team whole defense and ask them how it felt to get shafted by one player :)

13. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Maradona with out doubt :D

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Joe Gaetjens, who scored the US goal against England in Belo Horizante. I'd ask him about the team, the nature of the game in the US at the time, the onset of the Dark Age of American soccer, and I'd do what I could to talk him out of ever going back to Haiti.

15. Mighty_Dragon

Mighty_Dragon New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    BEIJING, CHINA
    DAVID BECKHAM! I want to know how he smells...

16. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    With his nose, like everyone else!

17. catracha

catracha New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    puerto cortes
    Pele, Maradona,and romario
    and beckham is hot!

18. Mighty_Dragon

Mighty_Dragon New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    BEIJING, CHINA
    No, I want to smell and FEEL HIM...he must be soo delicious!! :p

19. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Slightly off-topic (only slightly though) - it always interests me to see Lineker give his opinions on MOTD. Most of the time he is in 'presenter' mode, but when he actually starts talking about the game he usually has something to say that is worth listening to.

20. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    I think they've been interviewed already. FWIW most of them said that they'd probably have cheated too if they'd been in the same position.

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I totally agree. In some ways he is wasted in the anchor man role, although he is very good at it. Pundits who talk real sense are very thin on the ground. Andy Gray and Hansen are the best, most of the others are pretty hit and miss to be honest (and that's being very generous to the likes of Gordon McQueen).

22. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Well he's not my type ducky!!!

23. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Gary Lineker and Alan Hansen are class. But why oh why do they have MOTD on Sat around 10ish when most people are out in the pub with friends! Guess it has something to do with the matches on Sat, err. Anyway I wish the BBC would repeat it a bit later at night!

The German ZDF Sportstudio is also very good, one of the few German things I actually miss (apart from the better German comedians).
    :confused:

24. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    It is repeated, early Sunday morning, I'm always recording it on Saturday and then watching it in the morning before I get to see the recording :)

25. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Ah yes, recording it, there's a novel idea. I should get a video really...

You watch MOTD twice in a row? Excellent. An American friend of confessed he actually fell in love with Gary Lineker just from MOTD, so he sat through it every Sat, and even watched the old editions of Have I Got News For You though he didn't understand a word Alan Hansen said, and never got a single joke in HIGNFY. Now he's married to a Spanish girl who looks a bit like Alan Hansen, ironic really.