If You Could Go Back and Change...

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by ihatewaiting4years, Jul 21, 2014.

1. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One thing in the history of the Argentine NT, what would you change? Would you change the appointment of a certain coach? Would you keep a certain player off the roster? Would you bring a player left off the roster back to the team?

2. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How about Higuain not missing his chance in front of the goal? I think that would be the change with most chances of bringing us a 3rd star.

Leon12 repped this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #3 Rattlehead, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Not much I mean, we reached the final, we blew 3 good chances and lost at 113 mins. Replace Sabella with someone else or replace some of the squad we brought there, can we actually went that far?

We're in final, we have Messi, he blew his chance, his teammates blew their chances, nothing you can do about it. Germany only has 3 shots on target and two of them we didnt even need Romero's save, but theirlast one, we're punished for all our miss chances.

Replace Pipita with Tevez, will Tevez strikes that winner in quarterfinal?
    Unless we bring youngster (which I think we should), no guarentee they will perform better. I'd love to see Lamela but Lamela was injured and the only change I'd make would be Iturbe or Icardi in the place of Palacio.

Our defence has been great during knockout stage and I wouldnt change any. 4 matches, 3 went into ET, conceided just once. Also, remember that we didnt have Di Maria in that final. Germany basically played France without Ribbery, Brazil without Neymar and Argentina without Di Maria.

4. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree that not much could have been changed for 2014. Although I think Pastore could have made a difference. Who knows with Tevez. He can be lethal yet he can also disappear at times. How about beyond 2014? Was their something you would have changed in '06, '98, '82, etc?

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where do you start? Wish we held on and won 1930, 34, wish there were rules back in those times that prevented players for 2 different countries, Italia had 4 Argentines on their 34 winning team, wish there wasn't a 2nd World War when we had the best players in the world, wish we didn't pull out of 1950. There is a lot of wishing and hoping. I haven't even talked about bogus calls that went against our way, talking about Zanetti being the most capped player in our history but only playing in 2 mundial's, or talking about managerial errors, or players being excluded for dubious reasons or player agendas.

6. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In your opinion how many World Cups do you think Argentina could have realistically won? It's surprising that such a football world power has only 2 cups. You'd think Argentina would have at least 3 or 4 minimum.

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's still 2 World Cup's though and reaching the final 5 times. I hate to be losing end of 3 but that's the hand we were dealt. As I mentioned, certain circumstances cost us a couple more times.

Batigol talked about the 94 team with great praise, saying had Diego was never banned, that was a very special team that could've gone all the way. He also stated the 98 team was good but was missing something and wasn't as complete of the 94 team.You know it appears every time it's a story. 2002, we breeze through qualifiers, and fail to get out of the group, injures and unfit players. 2006, Pekerman subs Roman and we also sub out Pato. 2010, nothing to talk about that. 2014 is still fresh.

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Speaking of wasted years, Argentina won 7 Copa America titles between 1937-1958 , yet AFA withdrew 3 consecutive WC during those period. We even have Di Stefano leading us to Copa victory in 1947 only to withdrew again in WC 1950.

The 1930, I think Uruguay made a great come back and deserve that victory. The 1990 final would be the one that could have been different. We came up to that game with injured Diego and 5 other starters being injured or suspended and the German still only won that game by non existant penalty . Even Mathaus could only say he's too far from the incident but claimed they've been the better team throughout the tournament and deserved that victory.

9. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd go back and increase the population of Argentina to 300 million, and take 70% more of South America. Then I would institute a law that puts a big perimeter fence, imposting rule for education, stability and economic power. Argentina would spend money only on means, a culture of no corruption and no influence. Natives would be respected and there would be a homogeneous Argentina. Football would be practiced in the year 1700, then when the world starts picking it up, like the Soviets in hockey, they would come out and dominate for 80 years and 95% of the World Cups would go to us, with the best players, and leagues in a very prosperous economy and mentality that is similar to Japan, Norway, and Germany. A nation that would be respectable like Canada, and a winning mentality to dominate everything like the United States. 300 million Argentines would enjoy the luxuries of sport and life, and Europeans would want to live in New Argentina. Gordona's family would have been seen as a bad seed, and they would have been deported immediately, Gordona thus never being born in Argentina. The National Team would have the best scouting resources, system, facilities in the world or close to, and some of the best coaches would be raised, creating incredible players to last generations. Maradona would be educated and guided into a better life, and his family would be treated as royalty. There would be a long lineage of Maradona's on ever team, that would have his genetics and played on every team. In fact, two Maradona's would be on the same team, brothers.

Where's the time machine?

bsas and ihatewaiting4years repped this.
  10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

[​IMG]

Think about Mascherano contribution in 2014.

11. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Messi's miss in 2014 WC final
    Germany's fake penalty in 1990 WC final
    Batistuta's shot on the post, 1998 WC QF

12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pretty fair points above. 1990 was a joke although Maradona managed a handball against the Soviet Union that referee was bent and admitted as such.

1958 how about the AFA do not ban the players that decide after the Copa win in 1957 and we go in with players like Sivori, Angelillo etc. Not to mention sending a team in 1950 when we could have still had players like Labruna, Pedernera and di Stefano upfront......

The AFA has been a sack of shit from beginning to end. It's the amazing talent that the clubs in Argentina keep producing in players and coaches that has been the saviour.

13. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    lol damn that's the ultimate dream scenario for argentinians. i'll get started on that time machine for you:cool:
    but first can you lend a few bucks? i've spent it on too much malbec:p

aerez repped this.
  14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #14 Rattlehead, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    There's difference between ref mistake with ref that was told to commit a mistake.

What about Diego valid goal being disallowed against Uruguay in 1986? nobody talk about it . Messi goal in ET 2006 was another valid goal being disallowed, Roman throughball to Aimar before that goal was nowhere near offiside. Tevez first goal in 2010 was also offside. However, those were clear ref mistakes as the ref clearly didnt favor either side on those games. Cant say the same about 1990 or 1982 WC where opponent can do whatever they want to Argentine players without getting punished.

23 fouls on Maradona by Gentile and no booked? Ardilles jersey being torn off and no warning? Belgium winner in 1982 was mile offside.

afar repped this.
  15. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How do you remember these things LOL.

afar repped this.
  16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If I had to pick one, I would say the awful yellow card to Caniggia in the WC90 semifinal against Italy, it basically sealed the win for Germany in the final match. Caniggia plays, Argentina wins its third WC.

A close second is the arrogant Menotti actually taking the best players for WC82. This could have been the lineup:

Fillol
    Olguin-Trossero-Passarella-Orlaticoechea
    Marangoni-Ardiles-Bochini-Calderon
    Maradona-Bertoni

Albiceleste2010 and afar repped this.
  17. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was referring to Codesal RH. ;) Again these points you make are very valid. Apparently only Argentina ever gets favourable decisions but those we have not been given outweigh those that we do get. I can add the so called offside goal from Messi against Mexico near the end of normal time.

18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was a conspiracy to stop us at all costs. Calderon's penalty for example in the final. Looking back at both the BBC/ITV commentary they were suspicious of the referee's decision making during the game. He was a bastard.

Pipiolo repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I actually mentioned that:p

20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Codesal retired shortly after that final, I guess he earned enough $ for the rest of his life after that game.

21. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seems like a lot of questionable decisions have gone against Argentina. Why is that? Does the AFA have a history of fighting with the ''mafia''?

22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually FIFA will do anything for own adventage whenever they want it. They blatantly helped S Korea to beat Spain and Italy in 2002.

Checkout at 3:01;)

23. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In 2006 I wish that for the game against Germany we had Lippi in charge because we would have won that match and gone on to win the world cup. But if and buts, that's what football is all about. If that numpty Higuain had put THAT chance away we would all be having very different discussions on this board. No point in torturing ourselves over it, we can't change anything, just move on.