If you could get any one player to make the Nats better who would you take?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CincoDmayo, Apr 21, 2006.

1. CincoDmayo

CincoDmayo New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    MFin CLEVELAND OHIO
    A colleague and I were discussing if we could get any soccer play, disregarding nationality, to play for the Nats, who would we take. I myself said either Shevchenko or Henry.

Whats one thing weve been lacking for a while now? Finishing and these two are known, and thats an understatement, finishers. If we had someone to finish as half as good as they do, wed be damn near favorites for the cup.

He chose Gattuso. Not a bad choice, we could use a rock in the middle.

Who would you choose?

2. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't be Gattuso, I think you're on the right track. I'd take Zlatan Ibrahimovic, to me, he can do it all. But Shevchenko or Henry would be safer, and probably smarter, picks.

3. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Ronaldinho vs. Zlatan. Some crazy business on the video that comes up. If you're epileptic, I wouldn't recommend watching it, but otherwise check it out. Either of these guys would be nice for the Nats.

4. DPG0wnz redded

DPG0wnz redded Red Card

Aug 9, 2005
    Houston
    Cuauhtemoc Blanco

5. CincoDmayo

CincoDmayo New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    MFin CLEVELAND OHIO
    Zlatan was next on my list, however it seems to me he was better at Ajax. Some of my buddies that are Juve fans say that hes generally accepted as a flop there.

6. LetsGoYanks

LetsGoYanks Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Dirty South
    I like this question. Things like this are fun to ponder.

Hmmm... my brain says Ronaldinho but my heart says Adriano.

I know Adriano has had a tough year with his club, but my oh my, what I wouldn't give to see him in his top form netting goals for the Nats.

Ronaldinho, on the other hand, would take this team to a whole different level entirely.

Cherundolo--Onyewu--Gibbs--Lewis
    Mastroeni/Reyna

Donovan/Dempsey DMB/Convey

Rondaldinho

GAM McBride

Watching Donovan/Dempsey and DMB/Convey work and feed off Ronaldinho would be a beautiful sight to behold.

(For some reason, I think Dempsey in particular would benefit from playing w/ Ronaldinho... maybe b/c Dempsey's game, from what I have observed so far, appears the most 'brazilian' out of all the Nats)

Fun question to ponder. :)

7. wingzero13

wingzero13 New Member

May 13, 2004
    Denver, CO
    i'd say ronaldinho or rooney.

ronaldinho is the best player in the world and he would help any team he played for. i'd see him playing up top with mcbride and have donovan, dmb, and obrien feeding balls. the problem i see here is team chemistry. i think you might be mixing apples and oranges by having ronaldinho on the team. he might not click well with the other players because of the style difference.

rooney on the other hand would fit in perfectly in the arena system. he is fast, powerful, and an excellent finisher. he would be the perfect mix of our possible forwards. ej's burst of speed, donovan's vision, twellman's nose for the goal, and ching's strength. perfect partner for mcbride.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ronaldinho -

1) He's the best player in the world by critical acclaim

2) He's a key player on the defending World Cup champs and the key player on what is probably the best club team in the world

3) He is a God at possession and we struggle at maintaining possession

4) He is a God at visionary passes and struggle to cut open an organized defense

5) When he puts his mind to it, he's also a better dribbler & finisher near goal than any American

6) He's strong as a horse and never seems to be hurt

7) He's an amiable personality who is very popular with his teammates

8) He's more fun to watch than anybody else

I miss anything?

9. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    This question is a no brainer... Ronaldinho. I can't believe people are even thinking about other players.

10. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Ronaldo or Ronaldinho. I'm inclined to say Ronaldo, as we are so thin at forward and you know he'd clean up every ball McBride lays off for him.

Ronaldinho of course wouldn't hurt, especially if he plays forward. But we have plenty of quality on the left, and don't particularly need him.

So I'm going with Ronaldo. His speed, strength, and general brilliance would score the goals the US so desperately needs in the WC.

I still think Ronaldo is the best forward in the world. All this crap about him being fat or out of form is nonsense. Everytime I've seen him play for Real Madrid this year he looks like the most dangerous player on the field, if not in La Liga.

11. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Like seems to be a growing concensus...Ronaldinho. He's simply better than anyone else on the planet right now. Picking someone else would be like picking someone other than Jordan for a basketball team when he was at his peak.

That said, I'm hoping he has an off game if Barca and Arsenal meet in the final.

12. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    It's all just perspective. I think everyone would agree that we could stand to put the ball in the back of the net a bit more often. That begs the question as to whether we need a pure scorer, like Henry, or would Ronaldinho be the guy to enable our forwards to score more often. I'll take Henry.

And as to the possession problem mentioned by JohnR, I really feel that we will see a big improvement there in Germany. I think guys like Landon, Beaz, Convey and Dempsey (and hopefully healthy JOB and Reyna) will be able to possess better then we have in a long time. especially after a six week camp.

So, in case anyone missed it, I'll take Thierney Henry.:rolleyes:

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either Ronaldinho, because of the talent, or Henry, because of how he fits our need.

IMO, our #1 need is a fast striker who is a terrific finisher. Plus, we need someone who is a threat to score directly from a free kick. That's Thierry Henry.