if WUSA stays dead, which USWNTers will play in europe?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by afgrijselijkheid, Oct 5, 2003.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i'm pretty sure the hamms and foudys won't go over, but what about the wagners and bivenses(eses)? will there be a flood of americans playing in europe next season?

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    well certainly for a wombat yes lol - she's not the sexiest on the team though, not even top 5 probably, but ya know what i do... then again i've watched 2 USWNT training sessions in a driving rain

seriously though, the fact that she's a soccer chick definitely adds to the appeal as does the fact that she's a bit charming in person

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    sexy is not just about appearance and abby is hardly a hog

wow talk about a thread hijack

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    that joke was funny several months ago, time for new material - seriously, WUSA haters are more desperate for laughs than yakov smirnoff

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

my mistake...and abby is sexier, that kid notwithstanding

the only thing manly about abby is her height... and maybe her elbow

and yes kara lang is hot

is this thread ever gonna draw an on topic response?

6. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WUSA Haters?

doesn't there have to be something to hate?

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ok i see the problem... i don't mean european men's leagues... i mean european women's leagues - they DO have such a thing, they even have a women's uefa cup

the person gaucci wants is hanna ljungberg of sweden, but he's crazy - she can't come close to handling serie A physically

and i dont know of the hamm article you speak of, have a link?

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

It was a big article in the latest print version of SI.

9. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm aware, I was just throwing that out there.

It was only in print, it was in Sports Illustrated two weeks ago. It was twelve pages long. It shows how insecure she is and how much she hates the spotlight. Good piece if you can get your hands on it in Europe. I suppose I could mail it out to you if you really want it.

10. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Lorrie Fair, Jenny Benson and Heather Mitts of the Charge suggested in separate interviews that going the old-school route - overseas, since there would be no homegrown pro league to call their own - would be an option. When Charge assistant captain Jennifer Tietjen-Prozzo was asked that on an ESPN chat, she said that might not be the way to go for her, since she's spent a significant amount of time away from her husband.

Paul

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

thats cool of you, but i can have my brother scan it to me - as for mia's insecurity, i do know that she is pretty uncomfortable with being the focus all the time

12. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright. :)

It's to a nearly insane ridiculous degree.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    back on topic, i think several previously somewhat unknown-in-europe US ladies have advertised themselves rather well - specifically abby and cat, who obviously still has some school left

14. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    1. Which is now 'The World's Greatest Woman's Soccer League?'

2. How does the W-League compare with said, default greatest league?

3. Is there any woman who is capable of playing at the level of Serie A -- or are we really talking Christians vs. lions in the Colisseum?

15. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    1. Sweeden's first division, probably

2. W-League is semi-pro. I don't think it can touch the Sweedish league

3. More like a cow in a river full of pirahna

16. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Is that what it was? Some of it looked a lot like trolling to me.

Parts of the hijacked thread have landed in the recycle bin, which is where off-topic posts to this forum are going to wind up.

17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden's is semi-pro, too, I believe, if not amateur. I know that Hedvig Lindahl, a backup GK for Malmo FF, works for an IT company of some sort.

I've never been to a W-League game. And I've never been to Sweden. But from what I can see on the web and TV, the Damallsvenskan is better. But with the supposed folding of the WUSA, that could surely change.

Ahhhh. I was wondering why this thread made no sense to me. :lol

18. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    there's a team in Norway that interested in Lily service

19. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    i wonder

if germany wins the final, if the DFB will push a little harder to make the frauen-bundesliga professional... i know that one of the reasons that steffi jones was going back is because she was going to be the first 'professional' player there.

20. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am sure there are no other full professional leagues in other places in the world. I have had this discussion in SI forum. There are a few full professional TEAMS within a semipro league, like for example Fulham prior to this year, but there are no full time professional leagues. Japan has a half decent league. If I recall correctly, Brandi Chastain used to play in Japan.

21. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    There's talk of the top teams from three Scandinavian countries (NOR, SWE, DEN) combinging to form an 8-team 'superleague'. I'd like to see a couple from Germany and England make it a twelve teamer. I think such consolidation of the best teams can make professional soccer in Europe more of a reality and the pay high enough to make it worthwhile for serious US players to make the trip over.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Despite Fulham being "professional" (which they no longer are), they were never a European power. Umea (from Sweden) and FFC Frankfurt (from Germany) are. And not so ironically those two team feature the majority of the starters of the Swedish and German World Cup teams...

To be honest, though, the Germans got better use out of the WUSA than the USWNT team did. While Heinrichs ignored the players in the WUSA until the very end, and then mostly because of injuries, Prinz, Jones, Meinert were fine tuning their games.

23. sushibait

sushibait New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Japan used to have a good league, but now since their economy slowed way down in the late 90's they have only Japanese players. The way their league worked was that they paid the foreign players well, but not necessarily their own. I don't recall hearing that Chastain played there, but maybe. I know Hooper did and Milbrett and McMillan
    too and a few others from the WUSA. Sweden's league is pretty much like our W League. I think the level of competition is pretty good. I know some players from the US have played in the Frauen-bundesliga and I think the level is high there too, but I don't think the money is. I read a story in our local paper about a Division 2 player who went there to play and was basically given transportation, housing and help with the visa and getting part time work there( to supplement her per game fees). I'd be surprised if very many of the current NT players (that includes Fair and Mitts and Benson) would leave here and live in a foreign country.

24. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Your're right. I don't think Brandi played there. I did not recall correctly.

I think semi-pro leagues in US is the way to go for now.

If I recall correctly, national teamers are full time pros for all practical purpose because they are paid by the US soccer federation.

25. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A Euro Women's League with 10-12 teams would be cool! Travel expenses may be an issue, but Europe is a fairly compact geographic region compared to the US.