If there was a second team

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Mississauga FC, Aug 28, 2007.

1. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Must be a teacher if he supports MLSE that much. Just cuz you hate MLSE (I hate the way the prices for both TFC and Raptors), doesn't mean you can't go to a game.

Imagine, your co-worker says they hate their boss. Your response, "Well if you hate him, there's the door" while the boss in earshot.

2. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I'm not a teacher either.

I just wish people would get this MLSE chip off their shoulder. Its not healthy.

3. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't like you giving my city a rediculous nick-name you f****** cock sucker. You don't see anyone else saying something like that about where ever the hell you live.

Um, no. You see, the Soxs and Yanks have salaries that are nearly double that of the Jays. Finishing a head of Bostan last year was quite an accomplishment.

4. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Its my friends in Brampton that came up with Bramledesh. I think its pretty funny. Get over yourself. Its just a joke.

5. Mississauga FC

Mississauga FC New Member

May 30, 2007
    ok then....let's get this back on track.

thread has the assumption that the 2nd team is playing IN TORONTO, NOT THE SUBURBS.

second assumption, to avoid "where in the city are they going to play", was that they would share the stadium with TFC.

basically we are controlling the variables here so that all these secondary "what ifs" aren't a part of the decision/equation.

6. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I actually wonder how feasible a 2nd team could be.

Is the main premise going to be an MLSE v. a non-MLSE team? I don't know if that's enough to get people to change support.

Also, what if TFC ever has a prolonged amount of success? A 2nd team would have no chance.

It would be cool to have a city derby though.

7. Mississauga FC

May 30, 2007
    Well, going by everything that was laid out in the opening post

feasibility is not a worry, it's already guaranteed that a team is here and is financially supported, but not by MLSE.
    TFC is successful, making the playoffs, continually competitive but just not making it to the finals or semis.

8. Mississauga FC

May 30, 2007
    Funny, because when it was announced Nashville might move to Hamilton (NHL), within the first 5 mins i had my name on the waiting list for season seats. My sister asked me if i was seriously going to become a Hamilton fan, and not the Leafs. I really didn't know what to say. Everything has always been about the Leafs and Toronto, but over the years i've watched how MLSE does business. I don't like the Teachers unions involvement in the equation, and the Leaf "brass" are not my favorite people either. If given the chance, I wouldn't want to support them financially in anyway, but at the same time, I don't want to see the Maple Leafs damaged either.

Now tying in soccer.... having that second (local) option could really change things. Does MLSE bail out on their TFC project, or do they put more emphasis on making sure it has an extremely competitive team on the field?

I guess the bigger question with all of this is when we support TFC (or TML), what exactly are we supporting? The current roster players? The team unit? The whole organization? The city?

That question is not as easy to answer as you might think, and if people really start replying to that, I'll throw out an example... but maybe on monday.

9. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm over it. Sorry about that.

10. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Off topic but...

My problems with MLSE are with hockey executives and the poor choices that have been made in the hockey operations by them. Unfortunately the Leafs' executive appear to meddle too much in the hockey operations, and do not put good hockey people in hockey roles and then meddle with the day to day oprations. The JFJ/Muckler/Bowman fiasco from this summer sums this up perfectly.

I don't have a problem with the TFC and Raptors side of the organization.

Now back to the thread topic...

Sorry - not going support any other MLS side in Toronto - no way no how. Not even if they're called the Toronto Petes and play in a stadium in my backyard...

11. vita666420

vita666420 New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Scarborough
    its clear that a portion of us are ready to break away with if a new ownership model comes for another club (me), and a good portion would stay loyal. That would be an amazing derby if it ever happened, eh?

12. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would definitely support if the tickets were cheaper.

I'll be honest...I'm not really a TFC fan. I just cheer for them cuz they're from Toronto and I like that we have a local soccer team. The Lynx were okay but...well you know. I think a fan like me has the demand for soccer but does not feel a need for loyalty to a specific product.

In the long run, I view this team as corporation offering me a product (the entertainment of a professional footbal team). If another team could provide that at a cheaper price, I'd probably switch.

If they wanna keep fans, and develop some customer loyalty...please consider not upping the prices too much next year. Or even better...building some more seats. I have not been able to get seats to any match in the back end of the season.

This is how companies create loyalty, not simply by putting a product out there.

13. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Cheaper? How much cheaper than $10 a game do you want?

B

14. .:Rabid

.:Rabid New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    This is a good topic actually, Nortel?

Why not Rogers? He is loaded and started his business in Brampton. lol, I know...not gunna happen.

Blizzard, where do I get 10$ tickets? =S

15. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ted Rogers would be ideal if it could happen. I've seen some good improvements with the Blue Jays these last couple of seasons. We also know he's not stingy like MLSE.

16. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Too late. Season ticket in the Supporter's Section with the early bird discount. Amazing deal!

B

17. use_stupid_name

Jun 3, 2007
    Brampton
    You people do know that since 1967 and all the not winning anything the Leafs have had other owners other than MLSE, right? Does anyone think that is TFC were run by some one else they'd be better? It's the first year. Listen, MLSE or not, it's the team we got. If another one came and you'd leave just because of the ownership you should leave now. Save yourself the trouble. If we go by Mississauga FC's idea that is another team came to Toronto, was doing well, making the playoffs, but not winning silverware switching would be down right dumb. What happens when this new team doesn't win anything as well? Are you going to wait 'till a new team comes and hope they win something? There are 13 teams in this league right now. Only one team wins the MLS cup. That's 1 in 13. If the team is competitive it will come. And if it doesn't who cares? Are you having a good time at the games, or while watching the games with friends? Then continue to have a good time. But, if you're not having a good time, quit now and save yourself the hassle.

I do find it strange that people keep talking about making this league more like European leagues. Promotion/relegation, no salary cap, etc. yet when there's the prospect that we could be like Wigan and win next to never or worse Gimnastic and never people talk about supporting another team because of who owns them. Strange though that those teams still have a loyal following despite they're lack of winning silverware. Guess they're not owned by MLSE.

And as far as MLSE being stingy, they have a salary cap in the NHL, NBA, and MLS you can't spend more on the players. And when the NHL did not have a salary cap they were one of the highest spenders in the league. The Jays on the other hand aren't even close, but they were the highest spenders in '92 and '93 when Ted Rogers did not own them.

18. .:Rabid

.:Rabid New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    I think Rogers would salivate at the thought of competing with MLSE for a share of the sports market since the Jays and Argos aren't doing shit.

And yes, he does throw lots of money @ the Jays, too bad JP is a retard and doesn't know where to spend it. Oh, don't forget they have two of the strongest baseball franchises in their division to compete with every year.

19. use_stupid_name

Jun 3, 2007
    Brampton
    Ted may throw "lots" of money as far as he's concerned, but in the MLB the Jays are 16th in spending at about $82 million. The top 7 are $100+ million. And it ain't J.P.'s fault, Baltimore (60-77) (same division) spends about $12 million more than the Jays (70-68) do.

Money isn't everything. The fourth biggest spender in the MLB , the Dodgers ($108.4 million) would be in first in their division not third while the 24th biggest spender, the Padres ($58.1 million) are in first (NL West).

Also, remember the Delgado crap...oops sorry no money for you.... but we'll open the purse for Wells ($7 million, though the contract is back ended I think). Methinks Ted was kicked in the sack to open the money up after the outrage of letting Delgado go. Not because he ain't stingy.