If I Were The 2004 Coach Of Dc United...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Eismahn, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's use this to unify the projections and wishes for those who see the way to improve on this year.
    Lighthearted comedic suggestions are also welcome, in fact encouraged.

Intangibles-
    As stated in the Game 2 Post game thread, I would start clearing the slab to find the foundation that DC laid down with respect to it's identity the first 4 years of the league.
    This would include everything from decorum on the pitch, to mood and effort during practices, set the precedents and chain of command for communication for all the players,assistants and coaches(no shirking will be tolerated), and probably most importantly, regard for the team's style of play.
    The last being a thing analyzed and worked at to try and produce by effectively promoting assignments amongst the team's players.
    When my team takes the pitch at home, they will be forced to look up at the banners that line the wall that housed the former BUDWEISER sign, which will remain prominent should a new stadium arise.

Personell-
    As much as I revere both Etcheverry and Stoichkov's past in both MLS and Soccer worldwide, I release Etcheverry with the option of picking up Hristo's position as Asst Coach/Super sub on the condition he have both a pre and post physical examination- post sign and pre season.
    If he doesn't meet the team's projected goals of weight, speed and endurance, we drop the sub offer and keep him as asst coach, in charge of setting the mid-field.
    Hristo- for all the talent he still posess', he has been accurately diagnosed as a team cancer, especially in light of his treatment of Bobby Convey.
    Don't let the door hit you on your way out for abusing the only player on our team with more tenure at DC than Marco.(or maybe Bryan Namoff?)
    Spend the offseason searching desperately for a solid d-mid to show both Ivanov and Namoff how it's done properly to the Nth, and a quick-footed forward,(paging Ali Curtis), with a blister of a shot from either side to pair with Martins up front, upon whom I place the mantle of main scoring forward early and often.
    To Earnie, I hand over the reigns of the midfield attack. If Nelson goes, he gets the captaincy with Bobby his named and recognized second. If Marco butt's head's directly with his thinking, then Marco's gone. The style of play HAS to reflect our speed, which will be improved, especially at mid-field.
    Accomplishing the above will prove large dividends, given our already considerable assetts.

1) Nick Rimando.
    2) Doug Warren- now league tested, and most likely a more astute student of Rimando.
    3) Milton Reyes joining and emboldening the defense.
    4)Brandon Prideaux, Mike Petke, Galin Ivanov, Bryan Namoff- depth on our defensive line will be an assett- Ivanov can be improved, a central position will offset some of his speed deficencies, and with some work may move along with Bryan occassionaly to d-mid.
    5)Midfield consisting of Dema, Earnie, Bobby and Ben will be cohesive. We can retain Eliseo and/or shift Cerritos from up top to sub as possesion types when we have leads to hold.
    6) Develop tandems at forward- namely Martins and that selected forward, failing finding him, Cerritos and secondly Santino with Alecko. Allowing these players to work with each other forces them to learn each other's in's and outs, and hopefully their respective talents develop into tactical schematic from which to pick and choose.

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, once and for all. For those of you who actually think Ivanov should return: Put down the crack pipe. I say again: Put down the crack pipe.

3. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let's keep it concise and constructive

Ok, no Ivanov, fine, so long as you tell me who we can get that's both 1) better and 2) available.

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    That would be Reyes, who makes Ivanov an SI bench warmer.

5. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok... but....

No argument there, excepting the need for depth will INCREASE next year, with WC Quals getting into full swing. Yes, that's right, Reyes is a Honduran Nat. Nelson is a Kiwi Nat. Doubt Prideaux gets another shot at a cap, but then again...??

Given we now have Nelson, Petke, Prideaux, Ivanov, Namoff, Stokes, Alegria (weak poss, but..)to fill the back line, what other moves would we like to see?

Let's continue with Ivanov's SI situation too- ok, if we deal him, who do we use the slot to pick-up- defensive, mid, offensive- Let's give the front office some suggestions to ponder here folks.
    Thanks again for the input, there's gotta be more out there of what folks would do to put next year's team together- LET's Hear IT!!!

6. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: If I Were The 2004 Coach Of Dc United...

The things that gets me about Ivanov is he was brought in as a potential D-Mid, but was a central defender before arriving at DC. Here he has been used as an outside defender. Earlier in the season I was criticized because I thought Stokes should have been given a chance to play at the right back position in those first few games when we had such an injury crisis. I was told this wasn't a good idea because Stokes is a central defender. I said it shouldn't matter that much, but others thought it would. Well it could be that I was wrong. Ivanov is a central defender and we have not seen him in that position once. While some may not want to risk it because of his subpar play on the outside during he season, I think he is probably much more confortable playing there and would do well (thus disproving my assertion that a central defender can play on the outside and vice-versa). So before we ship him off to Siberia, I think he should get a chance to play in middle, it may lessen the blow if we lose Nelsen. Of course if I had my druthers, Stokes should be playing in the center.

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Re: Re: Re: If I Were The 2004 Coach Of Dc United...

The reason Ivanov was used outside was because he has considerable ball skill. (despite his well-documented defensive mishaps) Outside defenders in a 4-4-2 should support the wings and make runs upfield. Stokes doesn't really have these skills, and putting him at outside back opposite Prideaux would leave us with 4 stay-home defenders. Not exactly an inspiring move.

8. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Re: Re: If I Were The 2004 Coach Of Dc United...

And Ivanov did that so often this season. He was much more of a stay at home defender, especially the further the season went along.

9. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    LIttle rumor going around that Dallas may be looking to trade many of their players, including Vaca.

Vaca did score a goal 2 days ago against Boca Juniors when the "A team" of Bolivia played against Boca Juniors.

The dude has a great first touch and can bend the ball just as good as Etch.