If I have ONE more person ...

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Ringo, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ask if I'll be supporting the LA Galaxy I'm gonna start throwing punches.

At me desk at work -- which is located right next to the door on the way to the vending machines, so it's high-traffic -- I have lots of Quakes pictures up and my rally towel from the GGEP*. So I was getting lots of Quakes conversation yesterday. Most of them suggested I just started following the LA team becauase they were the closest. Granted, these people had no clue what they were suggesting and were just trying to be friendly ... but STOP!

AAAARGHH!!!!

anybody else getting this?

2. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i got a " i am so sorry" from a baseball nut. doubt it was sincere

3. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    how about chivas? they're close, they're not the Gals.
    Problem Solved.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you high?

5. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    So when AEG drives DC United out of business because the rent is too high at the AEG controlled venue, you will gleefully support the Metrostars.

Yea, right.

6. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only team we can support based on geography is RSL. Some fans may support Chivas if they have a family tradition from Guadalajara or something but most "anglo" fans won't. But RSL is not that far away, and I will probably try to make it out there once or twice. One of these years they'll get good enough to thrash the Gals and I want to see that happen.

7. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I'm sorry, but this is really funny! "So the Yankees moved. Are you going to support the Red Sox?" People just don't have a clue.

Or "So the Giants left. Should I get you a Dodgers hat?"

8. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *shudders*

Also, the person that suggested Chivas? Are you freaking kidding me?

9. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I still lived in the Bay Area, I'd be a Seals fan until the Quakes come back.

I'm out in Boston these days (and have been for a while now), so I'll be watching the Revs.

10. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Save the Wizards!"

Never know...they may be moving in 2007...So keep going and pool your efort to buy them.

;)

~worm~

11. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My boss (who is not a soccer fan) asked me "so how are the Earthquakes?" He actually knew that they were moving.

The more I think about it, for the time being, I will probably continue rooting for the Quakes, whatever they become in Houston. I mean I like the players & coaches. Whether I support them (or anyone else) by attending games & buying merchandise, well its too early to tell right now.
    I have thought about Chivas honestly, as at least that possibility provides me a chance to see them more than once a year in person.

Ga**xy? No. Freakin. Way.

Lee

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll root for the individual players and dom, but I hope the franchise fails.

I may root for colorado because that's where I'm from, but I'll probably just follow the league as a whole without a specific rooting interest.

13. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not support the Galaxy if they were the last soccer team on earth and playing the Martian team to decide who's planet got wiped out of the Universe.

14. Moneypenny

Moneypenny New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Modesto
    Ha, my Grandma said, "Well at least you have another team you could support here in California."

Don't people understand????

15. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, people don't understand. If your son is kidnapped, can I ask you to just help raise your neighbor's?

Something is not repalceable. Fans passion is one.

If one should really need a MLS team to support (which I don't find necessary since I am done with greedy AEG controlled MLS), I suggest KC. They are in the same situation we were in. Their fans and team need support.

16. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    So, I just got back from the grocery store a while ago. I always talk sports with Anthony, one of the cashiers, who's really well-versed in pretty much all local teams. (And, as background, I frequently have some form of Quakes stuff on when I run into him, although I didn't today.)

So, out of the blue today, he says, "Hey, man, that's really a drag about George Best," and we reminisced for a minute. Then I asked him if heard the current Quakes moved yesterday. He hadn't. But he had been to several Quakes MLS matches, most recently on youth night against the Gals, when his son was on the field. I'm afraid he represents the more mainstream sports and Quakes fans (as opposed to internet hardcores), which is sad because not a lot of people other than us are talking about this.

Anyway, as I was leaving, he shouted, "It's all about the marketing, man! They didn't have any!" That opinion was also pretty telling, because I'm sure he doesn't know the details of the AEG/SJSU/Spartan Shops/etc. saga. But even a mainstream sports fan noticed marketing was a problem.