If have many subs, how often rotate?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by NewDadaCoach, May 8, 2021.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    If you have a full squad of subs (for ex, 5 subs if playing 5v5, 7 subs if playing 7v7, etc)... would you rotate them say every 10+ minutes, or more frequently, say every 4-5 mins?

I used to think, let them play a while (maybe 10+ mins) so they get into a groove. But in the last game I tried subbing more frequently. I told the players "run hard because you're coming off in a few minutes and can rest, and then you'll go back in soon". And it did seem like they played harder than prior games. They ran harder, tried harder. Higher work rate. Maybe it's a better way to go? Go hard for 4-5 mins, then swap for fresh legs?

(U8)

2. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I have several answers to this. My bottom line is that everybody places 50% of the game.

In indoor, I treat subbing like hockey lines and sub every five minutes

Outdoor in age groups where teams play quarters, I sub half-way through.

For older age groups that play halves, I sub at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 of the way through each half.

If I have 2 full squads, it is easy with everyone on and everyone off. Otherwise, I have cheatsheet that I've developed that I use to track playing time.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  3. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    How many subs would you say is ideal? It seems to me that just 2 or 4 for small-sided games would be ideal. Any more than that and then kids are getting too few minutes.

4. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    For 4v4 teams-- I want a roster of 8. Everyone shows you get 1/2 a game. Less then everyone shows, you get more but still have subs. I've done teams as low as 6 which sucks because if kids are missing you have less subs and kids run out of gas.

At older ages, the fantasy is still 2x field players.