Ideal Group for Mexico In Copa America

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by MesQueUnClub, Sep 14, 2006.

1. MesQueUnClub

MesQueUnClub New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    What group do u want mexico to be in or u think they will land at, at the next Copa America?

I know all the teams might not be confirmed yet but lets make believe it will be a 16 team affair and the teams are:

Argentina
    Brazil
    Ecuador
    Venezuela
    Paraguay
    Colombia
    Uruguay
    Peru
    Bolivia
    Chile
    Mexico
    United States
    Costa Rica
    Panama*
    Trinidad and Tobago*
    Honduras*

*maybes, it just as well could be japan and korea

2. El Yucateco

El Yucateco Member

Nov 1, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The idea is to be able to defeat any team in the field, not to hope and pray for an easy group.

3. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Hopefully they wont increase the number of teams, 16 are just way too many, and if they keep it at 12, well then the perfect group for mex will be venezuelas group........which we all know it wont happen......:rolleyes:

4. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Mexico can advance out of any group.... if they stick Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, etc... dont matter

5. Violationgd

Violationgd New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I like that attitude.

6. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    as someone posted earlier, it doesn't matter who we get in the group, the idea is to defeat ANYONE that we get to advance. and i am confident that we can get past the group stage like we always do.

*although i do kinda hope we get Argentina so we can beat their pu+a ass! :D

7. Xizor

Xizor Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Hell yeah!

8. MesQueUnClub

MesQueUnClub New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    I didnt mean ideal group as an easy group, to me the ideal group would be ecuadors group hopefully with chile and uruguay. you know ecuador is going to be head of group if their are 16 yeams.

9. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    When you say ideal you imply easiest, ideal would be the least amount of trouble. I (and a few others that have posted in this thread) am of the opinion that Mexico can defeat any of the teams that they will encounter in the Copa America, hence i really dont care who they get to face in their group. Mexico should be past the point where they feel they need a break here and there to compete.

10. FGarcia1

FGarcia1 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I half-Mosco with this (and RDL's) statement.

On the one hand, Mexico has demonstrated repeatedly that they can take on strong teams and, if not beat them, challenge them to the point where the difference is one goal or a PK shootout.

On the other hand, that only happens when Mexico feels like playing well. More often than not, it feels like there are times the players just don't try. They have the potential, but don't really feel like using it. Como si hubieran pistiado anoche y amanecieron crudos...

It's been said before, but it bears repeating--it always feels like the players turn it on for the big teams (Brazil, Argentina) and then shut down for the weak teams (everyone else in the Americas). Unless we get a coach that can drive them to ALWAYS play like their lives depend on it (which I'm hoping happens soon), I see more inconsistency ahead for the NT.

11. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    :D Argentina, Brasil, Ecuador....i would love to be in a group like this..so we can play at our highest.

12. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    i dont know who the philosopher that said this, but "if you can do it once, you can do it again".. i belive that

have we beaten Argentina in Copa America? yes
    have we beaten Brazil in Copa America? yes
    have we beaten Chile in Copa America? yes
    have we beaten Colombia in Copa America? yes
    have we beaten Ecuador in Copa America? yes
    have we beaten Peru in Copa America? yes
    have we beaten Uruguay before? yes
    have we beaten Venezuela in Copa America? yes
    have we ever eliminated the host country in Copa America? yes
    have we ever been to the finals in Copa America yes?

whats the problem...

13. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan

Consistensy

Keep in mind also that some of those big teams have did not field their first teams in some of those defeats.

14. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    Lets not get into the A+, A-, B+, B-, etc. debate. Regardless of whether a nation sends its most talented players they should be aware that their name and "legacy" is on the line whenever their jersey is involved in a competition. Even undermanned squads are sent with the belief that they will at least be competitive. If not, there is no point in even going to play.

15. MesQueUnClub

MesQueUnClub New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    True Mexico can beat anybody. But you need breaks here and there to win tournaments. The way mexico played against argentina in the cup would have beaten the swis, or the ukraine, or even england? but what happened?

we were unfortunate enough to land in the group that would play Argentina or Holland. All Im saying is that we need a good break here and there, but overall I dont care who we get in copa america.

My ideal group is not so mexico could have an easy path to the trophy, but a competetive group where I could see good football and most of all so we beat all of those countries who crap about mexico being in the cup because they are from concacaf.

16. MesQueUnClub

MesQueUnClub New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    when you look at who won copa america, you dont remember that winner was playing an amateur squad only that the country won.

17. FGarcia1

FGarcia1 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Yup; it's the inconsistency of the Mexico NT performance that kills it....

But we've beaten the big names' A-teams before; just never all at once. It's always been a concerted effort for one game and then we drop the ball. For once, I'd like to see some degree of consistency in Mexico's performance. That's why I like the Confederations' matches so much--we didn't win a trophy or anything, but we were solid throughout.

Last Copa America, on the other hand... and the WC... wtf? Even the qualifiers for the WC left me with a foul taste in my mouth.

18. estaticxalde

estaticxalde Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Alta Loma
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    have we won the copa america? no

19. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Why do I get the feeling that Comembol is going to put us in the same group with Colombia why do i get this feeling?

20. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  21. wildbill702

wildbill702 New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Las Vegas
    It only matters what sort of team each country sends. Its such a shame this hemisphere can't get its act together and put up a world class tournament along the lines of the Euro. Start with qualifying instead of this invitation crap. Make it for everyone in both North and South America. Then hold it once every 4 years like Europe does so everyone wants to win it. As it is now it is nothing more than proving grounds for young players.

22. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
  23. Extra!

Extra! BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 20, 2006
    Moco, why do you say that?

24. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Because honestly Comembol knows that we are able of defeating Argentina and Brazil of course they won't admit it! If you look at most of the times we play Colombia it's always close or a tie or we lose, this is because alot of Colombians play in the Mexican league they know how most of our players operate this which makes things difficult watch i'm almost certain we will have to face Colombia before we reach the final I am sure Comembol has it all planned out!

25. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Mexico can beat any south american team, but its logic argentina and brazil are the hardest to beat , Uruguay,paraguay are teams mexico could beat ,though this two teams are good,ecuador is a dangerous team that mexico can beat too, the rest are easy for mexico like chile,peru bolivia , Colombia in the other hand has always given mexico trouble,
    but for real mexico will win copa america,