Idea: Playoff Group Stage

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by DLee, Oct 16, 2008.

1. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    So it's a slow day at the office and the MLS playoff "race" isn't really getting me all that stoked this year. How can it be a "race" when epically bad teams like are still alive with 2 weeks left? It was the same last year. The Fire were pedestrian enough to suck less than the bottom five, got the last seed in the East, and then ruined DC's outstanding season in ~120 minutes. Felt good of course, but superficial. They finished 15 points clear of us and it earned them no advantage in the 2-legged series.

So what about a "playoff group stage"? Top 4 in the East and top 4 in the West. Play each other once with the following breakdown - top seed gets all 3 games at home, #2 gets 2 home games, #3 gets 1 home game, #4 gets all road games. Top 2 in each Group go to the Semis (or just the Group winners meet in the Final).

Donny gets to keep his beloved conferences and his "event" of the MLS Cup, and you're guaranteed to have more rivalry matches in the postseason. The regular season gains loads of importance as you're playing every team you finished above at your place. If the Galaxy/TFC/KC make the playoffs this year, why should they be rewarded with a home game? And obviously it reduces the "one off night and your 30-game season means nothing" factor.

This season in the East you would have:

Matchday 1 (Sat, Nov. 1)
    Revs (#3) @ Crew (#1)
    NY (#4) @ Fire (#2)

Matchday 2 (Sat, Nov. 8)
    Revs (#3) @ Fire (#2)
    NY (#4) @ Crew (#1)

Matchday 3 (Sat, Nov. 15)
    Fire (#2) @ Crew (#1)
    NY (#4) @ Revs (#3)

A drawback is owners don't like TBA dates for advance ticket sales, but if you know you're going to be #1 or #2 with a few weeks left (Crew/Dynamo), you'll know you have at least the first two playoff matches at home. If you use this format with only group winners advancing, you have the same number of weeks in the playoffs as you do now.

Just a thought.

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I've been plugging this idea every year for probably 5-8 years. I love it. Obviously you get meaningless games, but you also get a couple really incredible games. The downside is that some owners want a guaranteed home playoff game. I say make your team earn it.

As for TBA games, just sell 2 or 3 game ticket packs to the playoffs. An individual game could be $20 (Game 1), while a two game plan is $30 (Game 1 and Game 3?), three game plan $40. Obviously you adjust that based on seat cost, but who buys a $20 ticket instead of at least the $30 plan?

Last, top two should advance to a single conference final. This would make a fluke 4th seed winner have to really earn MLS Cup.

3. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really think it would dilute the excitement of a postseason.

I'm still in favor of W1 bye, W2 vs W3; E1 bye, E2 vs E3

4. MuD life

MuD life New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    West Haven, CT
    i like what USL does

top 7

5. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree a group stage would be better.

6. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah lets have a group stage. Why not 20 more games so we can play into december in cold weather cities? I have been calling for simple one game at higher seed in the first round to give real home field advantage and make the regular season more meaningful.

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been in favor of this idea so long I think I invented it. What a great way to reward the top finishers.

I would also like to see a two-legged final, but that's not gonna happen. \

One kink in the plan, is you don't really want 4 v 3 on matchday three. 2 v 1 in week 2, and 4 v 1 + 3 v 2 in week 3.

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess you don't understand this doesn't add any weeks to the schedule. The two group winners advance to MLS cup. All done in 4 weeks.

9. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand this statement. It's a massive race, primarily because "especially bad teams" are still in it. In a lot of ways it's funny. You're dubbing these teams as especially bad, but many of said teams are still in it because they were the "especially good" teams early-season. Many were at or near the top of the table in the early season.

Since we don't have a single table, the fact that they are all still hanging around makes it that much more exciting in my opinion. In-fact, the whole season I find myself wishing it were a single-table, but when the entire league still has a chance with three weeks left I find myself thinking, if only for a second that the playoffs, standings and conference system are pretty cool, and proves on some level that early-season matches do mean something.

10. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Im not sure how play off should work.

One thing we do in El Salvador, we used to do it idk about now.

When it comes to semifinals... if there is a tie after the 2 legs, tie in goals also. The team that made more points during the regular season goes to the next round, there is not need of penaly kicks or over time. Although I do think overtime and penalty kicks at the end of the game makes it wayyyy more exciting for the fans.

I think that is a good idea when it comes to play off, this way teams try to make more points during the regular season.

There have to be some more incentives to finish good in the regular season. What can of incentive should the regular season winners get?

11. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been talking about this for a couple years now, I think the top 8 teams by points should advance to a group stage playoff. The higher seed gets the home-field advantage. There should be two groups. In group one seeds 1,4,5,8 and in group two seeds 2,3,6,7. top two from each group advance to single elimination rounds. This would instantly put more importance on the regular season.