"I'd rather see Varane" -the Harry Maguire Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Aug 5, 2019.

1. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    United tends to play a high line, higher than Leicester and Sheffield would more often than not, and Maguire's issues with pace become a factor in situations like we saw with the goal against Burnley. Another defender with a bit more pace and accelaration could make that kind of mistake, of overcommiting, but then be quick enough to get into a position to recover from that mistake.

Maguire needed to keep his position on the play for that reason, but I think he was trying to be a good captain by helping Scott and by imposing himself on the game. Maguire anticipated a physical challenge (as is usually the case with Burnley); however, he didn't anticipate Weghurst's skill. That's what did him in and once he was caught out like that, he was in big trouble.

The only other typical defensive issue I see with Maguire is he shows a lot of hesitancy inside his own area. Not just in terms of making a last ditch tackle, as he maybe should have done on Burnley's goal, but we've seen it often when balls get floated over him and he's reluctant to put a boot on the ball. He's hoping to run the ball out of play and to avoid an own goal, but often enough the opposition find it all too easy to score.

I don't think he's a terrible defender, but he has to improve and I think the patience for him has all but run out for him at United.

We have an opportunity this summer to sign Rudiger in much the same manner we signed Varane last summer. It's too good an opportunity to pass up. That will mean selling Maguire and even at half the price he was bought, which is really how much he should have always cost, I think that would be a good sale for us.

2. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    I still can't believe we bought him. I am probably one of the few who never ever wanted him here. I was just never a fan of him or saw the potential to be a top defender so when the rumors of us being interested in him started I was hoping it's one those links that amount to nothing.
    My judgement of him will be more harsh than others based on the aforementioned. I think we need to accept that this is just another failed buy, sell him and move on.

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Most on this board never wanted him here. Especially when we knew what it would cost.

4. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Somebody call the wizard of oz. This guy is in need of a few of the things he offers.

How many plays where goals are conceded does this guy find himself in no man's land?

Anonymous_United repped this.
  5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  6. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This has to be some sort of psychological game to keep this guy with some confidence.

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don’t think his form is a confidence thing like it is with Rashford. Maguire is incapable of playing in an offensive side with a high line. He’s needs to be in a back 3 or counter attacking side so he’s not exposed in space.

8. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh, definitely. I agree on his abilities.

What I mean is the gaffer not trying to pile on when it’s game after game, blunder after blunder, and wants to keep the guy focused on something: leading. I don’t think he’s good at that either. I tend to feel that it’s either he or Shaw that is leaking bad info to the press.

The armband doesn’t mean much anymore, I suppose.

Deadtigers and Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Can’t help but think if we’d have kept Herrera and made him captain, we’d have avoided some of the player issues we’re seeing currently. Also wouldn’t hurt to have an extra body in the middle…

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The funny thing is, we refused to give Herrera wages that matched his contribution yet we extended Jones, Rojo, Young, etc. We’re still run really poorly but we used to be run comically bad.

11. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We are still comically bad. Trust me, the YMCA soccer program in my city is better run and they suck.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We had issues in CM even when we had Ander so him staying wouldn't have improved us much other than being another body.

13. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    He’s older now, so tough to say, but I generally disagree.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Letting Carrick, then Herrera go and replacing neither was nothing short of criminal negligence by the club.

The last midfield I liked was the brief Matic / Herrera / Pogba spell under Ole when he was interim and we went on a great run.

It was far from ideal, but Matic legs hadn't gone so bad and Pogba was a bit more interested and dynamic and specifially Herrera compensated and helped glue it all together.

Especially when Herrera was cold-shouldered by Mou, often for Fellaini ffs.

Then they gave Ole the job permanently, Herrera got injured and that helped kill the end of our season and Ander left in the summer.

People will have their own view on him as a player, but we clearly need to sign players with his outlook and attitude. Then we would have more captain candidates - rather than the very few we have currently from this pretty weak lot.

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Herrera had the right mentality, loved the club, was tidy in possession, a pest on defense, and got under the other teams skin with his shithousery. We could use more guys like him.

16. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My guy Bruno should be captain.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Herrera and Bruno together in midfield would be more than the rest of thee 11 in "giving a shit"

JC7rox, Futbol_Head and jnielsen repped this.
  18. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who made that pass to Bruno for his goal on Tuesday? That pass and the gut-busting run were brilliant.
    Bruno has the required heart for our club.

19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Pogba.

jeff070 repped this.
  20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    you'd hope it would have been infectious and at least some of his teammates would have caught it by now

21. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera and Bruno in the same locker room would have been a dream. To think, if only each of their respective transfers had went through the first time we had shown interest. If I remember correctly, each one was delayed by a transfer window due to some sort of self-inflicted complication?

22. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Personally, I don't see much difference between Herrera and Donny, in playing styles or attitude. I hope one day we find out why the guy got treated the way he did.

23. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree mostly but I think Herrera had a little bit more doggedness and fight in him and Donny is a little bit more smooth with the ball.

24. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we've seen enough of Donny to know this.

doubletrouble and jnielsen repped this.
  25. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Yeah! Shut the ******** up, J'can't.

benni... repped this.