Ian Bishop: "MLS is of similar standard to the English SECOND division."

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mbar, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget hypotheticals, I find it hard to believe David Vaudreuil would hold down a job anywhere but in conference in England, and he's been picking up starts recently for them.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Of course, this is a relatively recent phenomena. The portions keep getting bigger and bigger. Indeed, it is hard to comprehend.

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    If you charge admission and keep score, then it counts. I don't know about you, but I HATE losing. If some of these professionals don't care, then my only reponse is SCOREBOARD. That and maybe they should give the fans back some of their money.

4. Cascade2021

Cascade2021 New Member

Why should Nottingham care? It was a training exercise to them, nothing more. It wasen't a competitive game, it was just a way of getting players up to match fitness and experimenting with new tactics. Don't get me wrong, given the choice, I think Forest would have liked to have won the game given the choice but I really don't think they were really bothered that they lost.

And as for them giving money back...they're named after Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood, so if you feel robbed...well, you know why! :p

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Americans seem to be pretty unique in taking these games seriously - presumably because MLS clubs have so little opportunity to play teams from other leagues in credible competitive games.

6. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    what stuart is forgetting is that Nottingham DID care, there was trash talking and tons of cards. and this was against a terrible fusion team with Lagerway in goal and Guiterrez leading the midfield.

this was the same Nottingham team that was in the premiership just a few months before this "friendly". Even the English people in the crowd gave the Fusion a standing ovation on the 3rd goal.

7. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    MLS is much better than the English second division. To claim anything else is absurd. Quite a few benchwarmers at clubs in the Norwegian top league have moved to the English second division at the tale end of their careers to make some extra money before retirement and they all say the level there is considerably lower than in the Scandinavian top division leagues. The occasional Manchester City might make a guest appearance down there, but the overall level is far from impressive which is what you can expect from only the third highest league.

8. mikelley037

mikelley037 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    c'mon you cant even compare the two second div. football is much more quality

9. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Please...

Be gone, ye troll of little understanding...

10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Ian Bishop: "MLS is of similar standard to the English SECOND division."

This is certainly true of European clubs. Other
    than friendlies, there is no method for MLS clubs to play European clubs, especially with the seeming disappearance of the World Club Cup.

Forgive the fans' overexuberance....

11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have raised an excellent point. Many of the quality midfielders in the league have reached their "sell by dates". A good indicator of the health and progress of the league is to see who replaces these players. They must one of the following:

1) younger, up and coming American players
    2) quality foreign players

If MLS replaces them with aging European and South American stars, then it will have made no progress at all. If they are replaced exclusively by #2 type players, then MLS will have stood still. Only by choosing a mix of options #1 and #2 will the league make progress.

12. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    My thoughts exactly. Very dissappointing to read this from the Beeb. Especially this quote, "a sport which has failed to generate the revenue the MLS had hoped for" which all the owners and and Don Garber have clearly NOT said. Did the reporter even bother to read any interviews with Garber or Hunt or Anschutz? I doubt it. Sod off, I say.

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Best team in the LofW - which probably puts them level with the English Conference, i.e. two leagues below the infamous second division that Bishop equates MLS with.

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's simple. Bishop was rooked. He was used as a pawn by MLS to bring in a European player in order to keep the quality of the league in check.

While Bishop is certainly no white knight in this, MLS should have reacted differently when talks with him reached a stalemate. MLS is king of overreactions and like to push people around from high atop their castle. It was such disgraceful behavior I wouldn't be surprised if the Queen got involved.

16. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    Hey, Gooner. Perhaps you should ask Whorewiz (ex Fusion owner) if the league had generated expected levels of income? I though it quite self-apparent that the contraction was because not enough income was being generated.

17. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Yallop telling 'em how it is...

"It's not an easy league to play in. It's a different type of game that's played here. It looks easy from afar, that it might not be as difficult as they think, but then they realize the standard of play is higher. And, you're taken out of your environment. Half the thing is, top-quality players come into the league and everyone expects them to do great things and maybe it doesn't go as planned. They might tend to lash out and make excuses."

- San Jose Earthquakes Head Coach Frank Yallop on MLS play (from the Washington Times)

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/02/weekly0814.html

That pretty much sums it up for me. Bishop, your sour grapes are somewhere in Wales, circa Division Four footy. Lothar, take a number, your beach chair is freeing up. Gazza, your train is leaving on track 3 and the bar car is open. NEXT!

18. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eric515: "Ian Bishop is of similar standard to an English 2nd division player"

Just had to throw that in there. :)

19. Nick Katz

Nick Katz New Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    FWIW, on Championship Manager, good MLS players and good Second Division players have the same ratings.

20. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    WTF ?!?

I can't believe you honestly posted that.

Really.

21. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why is this thread still around?

Would someone please put this thing to death?

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I would attempt to refute this obvious troll, but it doesn't even make sense.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoFla, "Bishop" is a chess piece. As is a rook, a pawn, a king, a knight, and a queen. "Castle" is another name for the rook.

24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I just had to get it off my chesst.

{wink, wink} {nudge, nudge}

(If you're still not following...)

25. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    D'oh! Obviously I need to take a break for lunch because I missed that completely :D