I wonder if the Iraqi oil is well guarded? The missiles ain't...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At Iraqi Depot, Missiles Galore and No Guards
    By RAYMOND BONNER and IAN FISHER

Published: October 17, 2003

MUSAYYIB, Iraq, Oct. 16 — It weighs more than a thousand pounds, so carting it away could present a few logistical problems for the average looter. But the fact remains that there is a very nice 15-foot-long missile, in mint condition, there for the taking, at one of Saddam Hussein's defense factories a few miles west of here.

The missile, along with a dozen ready-to-fire 107-millimeter antitank rounds, just a few feet away, is part of a problem that the American military has only begun to grapple with: as much as one million tons of ammunition is scattered around Iraq, much of it unguarded — like the armaments here — simply because the United States does not have the personnel to keep watch....

But Rummy knew more about it than Shinseki, who submitted that more ground troops were needed...who wants to bet that some of this ammo is being used to kill our men and women? Wow.

2. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    the oil pipeline gets attacked by technicals all the time.

-5 points for you

3. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does? Great. Now how 'bout addressing the thread, i.e., I didn't say that the pipeline was never attacked; I said that, as opposed to the ammo dumps apparently lying all about the *#*#*#*#ing country, the Iraqi oil pipeline has guards...whether or not those guards and/or that pipeline are nevertheless attacked or not is a debate you are having with yourself...

4. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    *cracks knuckles*

allright wiseass here goes, here's a good example of taking advantage of the general publics lack of knowledge about weapons i commend you with your effort however i admonish you for your poor attempt at bleeding heart techniques. one example of some of the weapons at this dump is the french made Exocet Naval anti-ship weapon. weighing over 1000 pounds. it has a delayed impact fuse and a proximity fuse. proximity fuses use doppler technology. want to use the missile properly? ok put it on a sled and shoot it at some troops and the proximity fuse will work otherwise you've got a big missile joe iraqi will probably blow himself up with trying to figure out. delayed impact fuses are usually timed by the millisecond so you'd have to understand the technology to time it right. i'm sure there are a ton of happy iraqis who are more than educated in how to set and use the proximity fuse. FUSES ARE DESIGNED TO PREVENT ORDINANCE COOK OFF. therefore you'd need a huge fekking explosion to set one of those off. worth the trouble? nope. Hmm what else. old surplus SA-7s? great. a shoulder launched IR guided surafce to air missile. again complicated fusing. the morons would most likely blow themselves up before figuring out how to use it as an IED. what else do we have some 107 shells. great big grenades. congrats. if you weren't so busy shatting over some dumps you'd realise there's even more of this *#*#*#*# sitting around in old russian dumps that anyone can just walk up and take and this stuff floats around on the black market for dirty cheap. The Abu Sayaff in the phillipines is alot scarier than joe iraqi who's stumbled upon some shells that we haven't got around too.

bottom line. the shite is being cleaned up....
    "General Davis said the military had not ignored the problem. He said that the Pentagon had hired private contractors, but that they had only been working about three weeks and were still not here in full force.
    "I don't think we've been slow to recognize the problem," he said. "You can already see the difference in what we could do in about a six-month period and what they can do in a three-week period at partial mobilization."
    ...troops are being tasked to protect it....
    "Another military official said that 6,000 American soldiers had been assigned to manning the dumps, but that more were needed"
    .....if you want to bring up some lame dick arguement that there are more US troops tasked to protect oil fields then break out some numbers and back up your bleeding heart "mind opening" argument.

until then cram your lame ass generalizations.

feel free to side step again by telling me that i'm "missing the point" which i most likely have yet to grasp due to your inability to make one. i read 25 pro and anti coalition publications from the middle east. i have a much more firm grasp on what goes on overthere than you're passive article viewing so i would expect no less from someone who pays attention to what they want. but hey what the *#*#*#*#*# let's continue the pick and choose quote game i think it's great.

5. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude, you wanted NO troops in Iraq and now you're complaining there's not enough? Unless you're arguing that the weapons were better off in Saddam's hands, you have no consistency.

6. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    BRAVO!!

Thank you for exposing this dickhead for the complete idiot he is.

Meanwhile, as you know, most of the attacks on our troops come from small arms, RPGs, (aim and fire, even the Mel could do it, despite the fact that his cranium is jammed up his colon), mines (rollover one, and kaboom!) and improvised explosive devices, using common explosives and very primitive radio detonators.

This is stuff that is squirreled away in basements, not in arms depots. It's not like we're leaving THAT stuff unguarded, athough considering where Mel parks his forehead, he might believe so. And, of course, we continue to find THIS stuff.

7. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Why did you change your screenname from Universal?

8. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Shinseki gave very prudent and sage advice to congress and the president prior to the invasion. The administration ignored his advice, and it is apparent that there are difficulties with the occupation and securing Iraq. Part of these difficulties could have been obviated through better planning. The resources and capabilities were there to develop better plans to judge whether an invasion and the occupation were both achievable in the manner described by the administration.

Irish, it sounds like you have a special knowledge of ordnance. Have you been to Iraq as part of your assignment?

Karl, three Americans were killed in Gaza by a very sophisticated bomb, with obvious intelligence about the travel plans of those Americans. Who do you think did it?

9. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i'm in airforce intel ops so i work with some targeting guys and they've pounded all sorts of ordinance into my head.

per the sophisticated bomb it's most likely left over fedayeen if anything due to the fact as i stated earlier run of the mill iraqi no goodnicks aren't smart enough to do anything with what they could get their hands on. most of these complicated IED's aren't knewly discovered ordinance it seems but in fact leftovers from stockpiles we probably haven't discovered. if anything alot of this stuff seems like leftover contingencies that are still around to carry out their "oh *#*#*#*#" plans. that would be my analysis.

10. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Thank you for silencing Universal...for one day. He'll be back tomorrow with his 5 new threads.

PS. C'mon people. You have got to know the exocet missile is anti ship, and there for uses a proximity fuse.

ArgentineSF should know this well. Their exocets put a hurting on the Queen's navy.

11. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like drags knuckles, but you wanna *#*#*#*# with me, okay...

What? WTF are you talking about? You are sitting in TEXAS, dickhead...The reporters are in Musayyib and Baghdad...how can I be taking advantage of anything? Are you arguing that the reporters in the field are wrong in submitting:

(1) it is important to secure these weapons and ordinance? Let me get this straight, intel-boy; you are countering this argument with the so-called insider-informed logic that "the the morons would most likely blow themselves up?" Is this the type of intel you are getting from TX? Giving (from TX)? Either way, if this is part of your analysis, stay the *#*#*#*# out of the intel loop, idiot. These "morons" have killed 387 of our folks who, unlike you, are in harm's way; unlike you, are concerned about not only these "morons" getting complete weapons systems with little to no effort, but more importantly, augmenting weapons systems they already have with parts from unguarded depots, and using those refurbished weapons systems to kill more G.I.'s...

You wanna talk *#*#*#*#? let's talk *#*#*#*#. What, exactly, is the useful substitutive parts count in an Exocet missile system? An SA-7? Come back with your guesses, then I'll TELL you how accurate you are, and where and how said parts can be used for other, more basic, weapons systems by those "morons" we can't seem to stop from killing Americans and others over there...

(2) You are saying that it is WRONG for the reporters, who are in the field, to say to you (in TX) and others that "It is impossible to know how much has been looted from this factory." Really? From Texas? Give me a *#*#*#*#ing break, Irish. Wait; maybe... Oh, you're saying its unimportant...that's very easy to submit from Texas...

Point: we have no idea what was in that factory; We don't really know much. We do know that the reporters, in the field, submit this: "Bedouins said the truck had belonged to looters who were captured several weeks ago by Americans." Captured, fine, but after looting the factory how many times? Once? Seven times? What did they get away with, is it being used to kill people now, and why the *#*#*#*# are you so blithe about the opportunity for unsecured weapons systems to be used against American troops?

Oh, I forgot, you're in Texas. Easy to talk *#*#*#*# from there...

This quote is so much fun; where do I begin? The blatant ignorance and stupidity is so *#*#*#*#ing rampant here, we'll take time out to just review one stupid section:

"SA-7s? great. a shoulder launched IR guided surafce to air missile. again complicated fusing. the morons would most likely blow themselves up before figuring out how to use it as an IED. what else do we have some 107 shells. great big grenades. congrats..."

Wow. You think an SA-7 system is complicated in any way? More specifically, how long do you think it would take my *#*#*#*#ING HALF-BLIND-ASS GREAT-UNCLE AND AUNT TO BE TRAINED ON HOW TO SUFFICIENTLY MANAGE THE SA-7 SYSTEM ENOUGH TO TARGET AND ENGAGE A US MILITARY (OR OTHERWISE CIVILIAN) AERIAL TARGET? I'll tell you; HALF A DAY. Period. End of dicsussion. Let me ask you this (And you go ask your intel boys who are supposedly enlightening you, so that you can come one here and sound like a goddamned idiot): How many redundant systems make up the SA-7? How does the fusing, in reality, work? Since you submit its "complicated," let's assume you are saying that its supposedly complicated for us smart Americans; that the "morons" couldn't possibly figure it out...how does it work, exactly? Again, you guess, and then I'll TELL you the correct answer, idiot.

In addition - and maybe more importantly - how many of our helicopters, post-Vietnam era, have given up the protective features of venting the exhaust air into the rotor wash (making it harder to lock onto such copters), for the balanced benefit of more speed and maneuverability? Have you asked any 'copter pilots whether or not they think finding unguarded SA-7s in areas wholly - or even MARGINALLY - accessilble to their enemies is "overblown" or not? You claim to be in a position of special knowledge about these things; you're not...You're exhibiting your very special ignorance and stupidity, and I pray to God you never are in a leadership position with regard to my kith or kin (two of which, unlike you, are in-country, not talking *#*#*#*# from TX), because its the very type of retarded thinking you are exhibiting here that would likely get you, and more importantly, others, killed for little to no reason at all...

In addition, how would you like to be the first set of planes in and out of a new Baghdad Airport, knowing that SA-7s are lying around Iraq, WERE lying around Iraq, until unprotected caches were simply picked up by irregulars? To argue against securing all these areas, against having more troops on the ground to do such things, would ONLY be the type of argument to spring from the comfort and safety of TEXAS; were you in-country, you wouldn't break breath to say something that *#*#*#*#ing GALACTICALLY stupid...

Not fast enough, my main *#*#*#*#ing point.

Again, my main *#*#*#*#ing pont and the reason I brought up the Shinseki approach as a solution that would have given U.S. troops a better opportunity to effectively manage this type of thing. Can you actually sit there, in TEXAS, and guarantee everyone here, on this Board, that no U.S. troops have been killed or wounded by weaponry from ammo dumps that, unsecured, have been accessed by Iraqis or others out to do the U.S. harm since Bush did his ************y landing on the carrier?

No?

Then shut the *#*#*#*# up and get onbaord with the notion of exhibiting a plan that protects your fellow men and women in uniform; the very ESSENCE of the *#*#*#*#ing article was to make clear that the problem is, WE DON'T KNOW, because these sites are, in fact, mostly unsecured...

For you to be reading so much, and know so little says all that needs to be said about your reading ability, the authors' writing ability, both, or neither (i.e., I'm willing to allow that there is some other factor outside of reading that leads to your abject ignorance and stupidity generally, and on this topic in particular)...

NEXT!

12. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, dickface. And the General submits this IN THE ARTICLE:

|While [General Davis] said the job of guarding the dumps was not under his command, he said many of them were either protected by American soldiers or at least patrolled regularly.

But he conceded that some were not. "I don't know why we could not guard them all," General Davis said...

I don't know? Don't you see (maybe not, if you haven't been in the military) that this is clear code for a rip at the overall strategy of Rumsfeld and Bush?

General Davis admits that some dumps are neither guarded nor patrolled regularly. When asked why, he says, "I don't know."

What kind of General says "I don't know," unless he is letting you know, without directly telling you, that what he's REALLY saying is "The reason we haven't done our *#*#*#*#ign job here is because we haven't beeen given the TOOLS to do our *#*#*#*#ing jobe here," in a way that allows him to remain a leadership asset in the FOB and surrounding locales...

If, in fact, there are some dumps that are neither guarded nor patrolled regularly, don't you think that that is important, particularly in the light of your concession that GIs ought be concerned about, in your estimation, small arms, RPGs, (aim and fire, even the Mel could do it, despite the fact that his cranium is jammed up his colon), mines (rollover one, and kaboom!) and improvised explosive devices, using common explosives and very primitive radio detonators...????

Wake the *#*#*#*# up.

13. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am that I am.

14. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not silenced, fish-face; away spending QT with my wife and kids, enjoyig life; I only see you humps when I come to the office...and what a mess I have to clean up upon my return...

15. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Fair enough.

Follow up question: Do you have any friends? Cause really, I can't imagine who would want to be friends with you.

16. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that you can't imagine something...this is supposed to concern me?

In fact, I have lots of aquaintences; I would submit that I can almost count the people I would call friends on one hand...almost. I have about seven friends, three of which have been lifelong...

One of them is already a conservative Wall Street bond broker, so there's no room on-board this train for someone who thinks like you, if that's what your asking...your views and stance are already well represented, by my best man no less...

But don't worry; you'll find meaningful friends soon enough, keep plugging away...

17. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    No, wasn't really thinking that. In fact, you'll notice that I rarely ever debate you. I know that you really couldn't give a rat's ass about what I say. I'm just fascinated by the fact that you can't see that everyone else doesn't give a rat's ass about what you say.

I just wonder about people like you sometimes. You know, the kind of people that always have to cite other sources for every thing they say. I mean look at your threads. Not a one of them ever have an opinion that you offer, they're simply a cut and paste of what other people write. Every single thread you start, same thing.

I know people like you that come in the bar. They're complainers. Nobody likes complainers. Nobody. Hell, other complainers don't even like complainers.

I seriously doubt that. I highly doubt that your best man thinks that the world would be a better place if you got colon cancer.

Dude, I sell alcohol to poor black folks at jacked up prices for a living. Who needs friends?

18. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is wise.

Now that's just not true. In fact, a long time ago, when I was Universal, we had a discussion similar to what you areserving up below; that I just cut and paste; if you recall, I listed a whole series of posts where it was ALL opinion, some of which you chimed in on, of course against what I thought, where you - at that time - argued that I wasn;t succinct enought for you. So, to me, given your statements now and then, its really about the fact that when I give an opinon, you think it takes too long, and when I share likeminded or otherwise illuminating thinking. you're concerned that i haven't given an opinion (which, as mentioned above, you don't wanna hear 'cause it usually takes too long).

So, just to wrap up, you don't want to hear from me...hearing from me bothers you in some way.

Sorry; get used to it; or put me on igy; don't really care. Not going away, not changing my style or approach - due to this argument, in any case - and not leaving these issues alone.

Untrue. People - a minority, yes - support me regularly, and PM me to continue the dialogue, so this is mainly you repping you, and your compatriots; its you assuming, when there's no real reason for you to assume...you're lacking in the knowledge you'd need to have to speak intelligently here...avoid this area in the future.

Done your research? Come back when that's done. I do cite alot, but not all the time...the real question is, are the citations valid? Are they correct factually? And if they ae, what does that say about, well, your wourld of information, power, influence and authority?

Okay...so therefore what? you know people - black people, apparently - who come in your bar and complain. And because I take issue with the things I take issue with, that's analogous?

Try again. Because waiting for me to stop "complaining" about the issues I raise; well, that's like waiting for the sun not to rise...

No, this is true; I had stomach cancer in 94-95, and with my best man having seen that, I'd doubt he'd wish colon cancer on me, so you DO have him there...

19. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Funniest post of the year! To sum up: "You're wrong I do have friends, so don't make fun of me." Many a doctor would say that this post would be a clear statement of self-esteem issues.

20. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less

Shut up you filthy curmudgeon. You think you're hot shite? Irish could handle you with one hand tied behind his back;in fact he did.

But since he's rarely allowed some free time to shoot the shite on the boards, I'll have to do it for him. Your half wit argument is "they can use other parts to hurt our guys," and "the SA-7 is real easy to use." Ok, i'd like to see those Whahabbi mother*#*#*#*#ers try and take apart a French anti ship missile. And the SA-7 is FAR from point and click.

How can you JUST ASSUME that it is easy? Especially for untrained insurgents? Oh no Uni, all explosives are the same. Insert wire A into hole B (that's what she said) right? Until Irish came on here and correctly pointed out the kind of munitions at the dump, you were on here saying "explosives were theived, and that's due to a lack of security." Now it turns out that very large Exocet and the ancient SA-7 missile were there.

Here's the famous Exocet AM39 air to surface anti-ship missile;also very handy for blowing up American GI's.
    http://tools.search.yahoo.com/langu...tmarine.net/armes/exocet/photo05.htm&lp=fr_en

And it turns out the SA-7 has real trouble locking onto its target. I guess you'll have to listen to this:

The SA-7 GRAIL or Strela-2 (ñòðåëà - arrow) is a man-portable, shoulder-fired, low-altitude surface-to-air missile (SAM) system similar to the US Army REDEYE, with a high explosive warhead and passive infrared homing guidance. The SA-7 was the first generation of Soviet man portable SAMs, introduced in the 1960's. Although the SA-7 is limited in range, speed, and altitude, it forces enemy pilots to fly above minimum radar limitations which results in detection and vulnerability to air defence systems. The SA-7 is a tail-chase missile system and its effectiveness depends on its ability to lock onto the heat source of low-flying fixed and rotary-wing aircraft.

Yea, i guess our guys are going to run right into that famous Iraqi air defense system right?

More:
    The SA-7 GRAIL (Strela-2) man-portable, shoulder-fired, low-altitude SAM system is similar to the US Army REDEYE, with a high explsive warhead and passive infrared homing guidance. The SA-7 was the first generation of Soviet man portable surface-to-air missiles. Although classed as "fire and forget" types, the missiles were easily overcome by solar heat and, when used in hilly terrain, by heat from the ground.

Ok so we have two missiles that we should not fear in the least. Nice work with all the swearing though. I'm sure you impressed somebody.....

21. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    oh the irony of this horridly horridly ironic statement.

....in continuation i love lectures from obviously 20 year old college students who just passed english 103 and little commie 102 who've decided to lecture the world.

don't even *#*#*#*#ing lecture me on weapons you will loose every single time. i can't get into half the information on half the weapons in the world because if you'd pull your head out of your ass for five seconds you'd know you can't google that *#*#*#*#. (even though i'm sure you've tried OVER and OVER again) i've spent six months in training and i already know far more than you ever will.

but i do enjoy the irony of your SA-7 comments about your "half blind aunt and uncle". if you payed attention to what happened in afghanistan you'd know that they had SA-7s with training and they still misused them all the time because they are unbelievably cheap and outdated.

and don't even BEGIN to lecture me about the well being of my FELLOW men and women in the service because i've got more friends over there than you've got in the entire collected world so go choke on your arrogance. i can go to the middle east ANY time during the year and unlike you i'm not a walking vagina who cries everytime some lame dick reporter hollars wolf.

if i'd had the time i'd piece this article. but unlike you i work 12 hour days and horridly enough have continuous responsibilities.

22. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    so easy to dance.

23. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > And it turns out the SA-7 has real trouble locking
    > onto its target.

Being easy to use and being unreliable are not mutually inconsistant.

> Yea, i guess our guys are going to run right into
    > that famous Iraqi air defense system right?

Iraq had a decent or better air defense system. They just never turned it on. Just like they didn't send their army to fight.

24. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Dude, I'm talking about now. The Iraqis won't be shooting at US aircraft so we won't have to worry about the SA-7's driving us up into what would have been their air defense system.

25. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    If these missiles are something we should not fear in the least, why is the Bush Administration signing an agreement to stop the transfer of these specific weapons? Either the administration is wasting precious time and energy on something worthless, or you're full of sh!t.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/21/politics/21MISS.html