I want to get this through everybody freaking head!!

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Lucho305, Oct 29, 2009.

1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree...

Plus, we've already seen when you thrown games around at different times and different days..people get confused and attendance suffers.

When a league schedules its games on one specific day..then it becomes routine and people like routine.

3. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    38 games is fine including the playoffs. 38 games and playoffs on top of that? No.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Exactly! MLS already essentially is single-table (with playoffs and unbalanced schedule). That's the effect that 4 wild-cards have.

No point pining for a single-table then ... :cool:

5. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only point you got across is that you are a retarded fifth grader.

6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so we are all clear...single table means traditional single table and no playoffs, right?

7. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    'single table' can mean 4 different things.

1. Balanced schedule single table, no playoffs

2. Balanced schedule single talbe, playoffs

3. Unbalanced random schedule single table, no playoffs

4. Unbalanced random schedule single table, playoffs

I don't see the point of 2, 3, 4.

8. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we could do up to 18 teams with a home/home balanced schedule and playoffs, that's 38 games max + USOC, CCC, etc.

Once we get to 20, and if we were to ever expand beyond that to 28 or so, We'd need 2 separate "tables" or "leagues" that didn't really play each other in the regular season, like Major League Baseball used to have. Or, do what baseball does now with "interleague" play and have them just play teams from the other table on a rotating basis every year.

Top 4 from each team qualify for playoffs, separated like baseball used to, and the winner from each bracket qualify for the MLS Cup, which would have a lot more meaning with this set up.

9. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Yeah, it's so "undesireable", people have been arguing for both sides' merit about it on BS for years. :rolleyes:

10. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I was thinking the same thing, single table with 8 teams 1 to 8, no more NY champions of the west or Salt Lake of the East (hopefully not). But it's true, how do you have a single table with 19 teams, even 18 means 34 games, MLS wants 30 plus playoffs.
    It would be nice to give the top two a bye in the first round and go straight to the semi, but how?

11. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so wait... if we went single table... then there would be no playoffs?

12. MuD life

MuD life New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    West Haven, CT
    when baseball was only 8 teams in each league did they play each other home/away

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes. But balanced schedule = stupid as well, so by the transitive property single table = stupid.

Balanced schedules mean my team plays its rivals less, and far away teams I don't care about more. There's nothing good about that.

14. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes every match an event as you get one chance to see any side come play yours. Prefer that to NHL when people got sick of playing rivals and never got to see some clubs in a given season.

15. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Balanced single table is not stupid. One good way to farely determine a Champion.

I want to see more against LA or Seattle rather than playing Kansas 4 times.

16. Steezy

Steezy Member

Jun 26, 2009
    City of Angels
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    personally i'd prefer to have a single table,or a fix to our current messy playoffs setup,but w/e...that's just me