I Want The Cup

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ngower, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's cool while reeking a bit of desperation and depression.

I like it.

2. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty frank stuff for a team's own website. I really liked that each of them had a tough question and answered it pretty honestly.

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Interesting that they all mentioned Heaps. We tend to dismiss him on this board, but three of the big 5 (SJ, TT, SR, MP, MR) seem to feel that he is important.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro Playoff Fever! Catch it!

5. jostradamus

jostradamus Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Watertown, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    am I reading this wrong but I cant order the playoff tickets yet unless I get the bud pack?

6. oneword

oneword Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Theres a reason they all mentioned heaps, it looks to me like he is the motivational force the team. With that said, I don't think that there is another team out there with more heart then the revs!

7. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. This is the type of ad campaign they should be doing....sadly hardly anyone who's not already a fan will see it.

8. Missy

Missy New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Exactly. How great would this be in the papers, Boston.com sports section, or on the Providence-Stoughton line?

9. jwoo

jwoo Member

Jul 30, 2008
    West Newton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe so, although I imagine there are exceptions for those who already have tickets to the game.

10. jostradamus

jostradamus Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Watertown, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now that sucks. I hope I can get tickets earlier.

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough to say, how do you measure heart?
    I'd love this to be a TV commercial that they're going to start showing in the Boston area in the next couple of weeks.

Ha, I made a funny!

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    From your lips, to the Krafts' ears, from their bank account.

We want the Cup too.

13. keepersdad

keepersdad New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    My head still hurts, the surgical wound is healing well and I can walk with help. SO, I intend to be at the next match, which they'd better _ _ _ _ ing WIN

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last few games they all looked like they were playing with no heart, no passion and no emotion.

15. MarkyMark

MarkyMark Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the new section. I think it will make people more excited about the players. It's nice to see them try new things on the website.

16. dacsus65

dacsus65 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Winchendon
    I heard a quick, "Revolution secures playoff spot" blurb during morning sports on WBZ 1030am today. That was the total report.

Kraft and the Revolution really need to put this out on the airwaves, imagine what the response would be? Most of the 300 people I work with don't even know there is a professional soccer team here.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like to see how many hits a day they get,,,,bet its not alot

18. MarkyMark

MarkyMark Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad to see that whether they do something or not they still get negative reactions.

19. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you wanted the cup.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it's a negative reaction. The problem is if you're marketing on your site, in general, the only people coming there are fans anyway. It's kinda like marketing for people to buy tickets while they're showing Revs away games. In general, the people who are watching the away games probably have tickets already (see the ratings for proof).

Every little bit helps, I just know I'd rather see an ad like this out in the mainstream, not just their own site.

21. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only problem with it isn't the content, it's the half-assed presentation. I didn't go to school for marketing but it seems to be less-than-productive if the only people you advertise to are the people who already know about you. The team is already low on the totem and now that we're in Soxtober that position falls even farther down. An ad like this shown on TV (*gasp*) during NESN's post or pregame coverage would, I think, work wonders. And before anybody says how expensive that would be let me tell you lower-league teams do it. The Long Island Rough Riders of the PDL advertise during Mets games and the Timbers do it during Mariners games.

We already know they want the Cup. We want it too. Tell New England they want it.

EDIT: I mentioned this on the Revs' blog and got a response.

Take the their last sentence as you will.

22. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I like to remind people, the Revs do a fair amount of print advertising.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "we just found out yesterday that we were officially in the playoffs."

Doh! I think that for a team with serious title ambitions, making the playoffs would be a given. We ain't Tronna or the Fake Lake where just being there would be like Uzbekistan qualifying for a World Cup.

We'll see if this ad sees the light of day. Interesting that the Lawn Guylin Rough Riders advertise on Mets games--I never would have thunk that. That's the problem in a nutshell about MLS and US Soccer prmotion as a whole--most of the time the only place you see ads are on FSC or other soccer games. The people you are reaching are already fans and likely already know about the WC Quallies coming up.

24. MarkyMark

MarkyMark Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much agree. The Offside Rules blog (http://theoffsiderules.blogspot.com/2008/10/ooooh-revs-want-cup-gotta-have-that-cup.html#links) drew my attention to it and Brad Feldman also hinted at it on Revolution Recap. Hopefully more blogs and other sites pick up on it too.

It might not be the most effective campaign at the moment but it could help sway people to come to the game instead of watch it on TV.

"Football. Futbol. Soccer." is the new marketing strategy of the MLS. It tries to draw in soccer fans who otherwise wouldn't pay attention to the MLS for various reasons. They tried targeting general sports fans and decided that wasn't the best idea.

Personally I think the Revolution's ads in the Sports section of the Boston Herald still target general sports fans though, as soccer fans probably wouldn't be going to the Herald for their soccer news.