I think Jacen's got a good point.

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Jon Martin, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    How did DCU get Thiago Martins at this point in the year?

2. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I thought that they got some sort of extension due to the Convey/EPL situation.

3. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but Convey didn't ever actually leave DCU.

4. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on MLSnet front page:
    Doesn't the season-ending IR open up a space?

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Are salary cap issues relevant? If (heaven forbid) JMM were deemed to had a season-ending injury, could we go shopping?

6. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Nope.

I think the cap space came from deeming Stoichkov a player/assistant coach (I'm serious) and thereby sweeping some of his salary under the rug. I could be wrong, but I think I recall seeing this reported. Moreno's salary definitely counts against the cap though.

Yeah, it smells too...but, at least to me, not with the rancor as the Justowiak circus. With that one, there are three or four elements of the "transcation" that positively make your eyes water.

7. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    According to the press release, it was only roster relief, NOT cap relief. As to the differences between Martins and Juskowiak, they are nearly identical. BOTH teams have the roster space (although DC has it due to this new and never before used rule, nudge nudge, wink wink, while the Metros have the roster spot from when they cut a rookie defender months ago). There are however, two main differences:

1: DC's is a straight "discovery." The Metros and SJ agreed to a trade at the deadline wherein SJ "discovered" the rights to Juskowiak and then traded them to the Metros for a draft pick. This is the part Rodan doesn't seem to like, but it is something that has been done numerous times in the past. I'd have to check as to the specifics, but usually these deals are done for low quality players (most notable was when Chicago I think had to discover Diego Sonora for TB. This was also the type of deal DC was trying to swing with C-Bus last year in the whole Gazza soap opera)

2: Juskowiak is an over the hill striker (8 goals in the last 2 seasons) trying to make one last gasp as a pro. Martins is a young striker who just lit the A-League on fire this year.

Discuss.

8. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Technically, he didn't, but DC had to wait for the work permit issue to be resolved before deciding what to do with their discovery slot. I think they were granted an extension at the time.

9. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Martins is 27, which isn't exactly young. Wasn't Justowiak on Energie Cottbus last year? I'd guess, if you took a poll, that most people would rather have someone who played in the Bundusliga last year rather than an A-league striker.

10. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

http://www.dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=200224

When DC picked up Cerritos, in addition to Ali Curtis, they gave up a 1st and 6th round pick in the 2004 Superdraft for salary considerations.

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    The relative merits of Martins and Juskowiak are irrelevant. The salary cap is also not the only point.

The point is that two players in the pool of talent available to MLS clubs were siphoned off at a time when no further player acquisitions were supposed to happen. Obviously, these are two players that might otherwise have appeared in the superdraft/discovery pool to other clubs during the conventional time period.

12. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence

13. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

But that's the thing, their was no trade for a "slot." It was for Juskowiak's rights, or, if you will, "Future considerations. And I KNOW it's been done more than once, that's just the only example I can recall off the top of my head. Like I said originally, these kinds of deals usually involve rather forgettable players.

Still beating that dead horse? As it is (and the main reason I took you to task in the first place) there was no need for an extension, as Juskowiak is the "Future considerations" identified at the point of the trade. BEFORE the deadline passed. The Metros also have the same argument that DC used if they needed it. Moreno was put on season ending IR. So even IF you don't like the deal as it went down (again, a deal that has happened in the past), there would STILL be a justification for the extention based on DC's application of the roster space rule.

BTW, 2 points:

If you asked anyone if they wanted an over 30, injury prone striker who struggled for time with a lower level bundesliga club, or a 27 year old striker who dominated the A-League, I doubt you'd find many takers on the Bundesliga player.

Also, Rodan, release your blind hatred. You'll be happier! :)

14. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    My hatred is purely 20/20. ;)

Seriously I really don't mind this year's Metros team at all - except for Clint (formerly one of my favorite players who now seems to be doing a meltdown) and The Bob. I'm hoping they knock off the Fire and DC actually.

But, c'mon. Really, enough is enough already.