I say get rid of Supporter's Shield!!! .....Let playoffs decide internationals

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by DCUdiplomat96, Jan 28, 2009.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the concept or the attempt concept of bringing a single table will not work.... Instead of giving the SS the CCL sport Give the east and west regular season winners the auto matic berth to the semi finals of the MLS playoffs . And let the place decide which places are worthy a spot for international tourneys.... This Allows the MLS Cup Championship Game the (undisputed Champion)worth it deserves.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If I understand this correctly, you are not necessarily getting rid of the Supporters' Shield, you just want to take away the entry into the CCL that it brings?

Is that correct? Or are you entirely opposed to even the concept of the Supporters' Shield?

On your last point, how exactly does giving one of the CCL slots to the Supporters' Shield winner take anything away from the Cup winner?

The MLS Cup winner gets the scudetto and later a star, gets to call themselves MLS Champion, and gets a direct entry into the CCL group stage. Wouldn't giving the other group entry slot to a non-Cup winner reduce the value of that just as much as giving it to the Supporters' Shield winner?

3. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I like it how it is now.

4. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    me too.

5. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Supporter's Shield was/is a fantastic idea and the winners deserve something for it. Change nothing.

6. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle New Member

May 17, 2006
    Kwassa Kwassa
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the teams play a season of 30 games and the team that gets the best record out of those 30 games gets nothing?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. :rolleyes:

8. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. soccerinFL

soccerinFL New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say, have the single table view, and have the East, West view, at the same time.. And no keep the Supporters Shield, it shows you who did the best in the overall season..

Like it or not, Single Table is in all the sports here in the US, When you look at Wildcard for the NFL, thats in single table, and MLB is no different, so why the hate on single table?

11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    When the teams in the West are so crappy that a team from the East has to represent them in the playoffs, you know the Supporters' Shield is an embarrassment.

12. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus' SS was only for the regular season not the whole season. they had to win the MLS Cup to be champion(and wear the star).... Plus it makes way better sensejust to award the regular season conference winners any way.... Instead of just handing the the championship for just finishing. make folks earn it. I also would like to see all international spots earned using the playoffs. why wait til the next season to play a CCL just trying to get a placing from the previous season.. makes no sense to me... If you have the top record going in to the playoffs then you should prove it by trying to win it. ... and NO MLB is not single table.. neither is NFL or NBA. MLS does need to follow such a european flaw.

13. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How does that make the Supporter's Shield and embarassment? They have nothing to do with each other.

14. armani

armani Member

Dec 18, 2007
    can someone put the picture of that guy that says " AGHH GEES NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN":D

15. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, its time to exit out of this thread. I think we all know where this is going.

16. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed that you should get some kind of reward for winning the regular season.

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    OK, one thing at a time.

What does this mean?

Seriously. I have no idea.

18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    As a DC United fan I totally understand. It's been awhile since DC has won back to back Supporter's Shields. It's probably about time for this award to disappear. :rolleyes: :D

19. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Supporter's Shield is the closest thing MLS has to honoring the true champion. All it needs is a balanced schedule. ;)

20. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    *Yawn*

Hey I have an idea lets have pro/rel and a salary cap of eleventy billion dollars.

21. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say get rid of DCUDiplomat96

Who's with me?

22. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    no.

23. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Those ideas will only work if we go with a Winter/Spring schedule and call the field a "pitch".

24. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Actually I agree.

However, this is broad subject that has to do with the whole league design.

Eventually we'll have 20-24 teams divided into two conferences.

Say 22 teams divided into two conf. 11 per each. home and away in conference and 1 game with teams in the other conf. It gives you 31 games. Then playoffs.

At the end of the regular season, we should crown top of each conferences as the conference champions and give them berth to CCL.

Supporters Shiled doesn't mean much anymore in this design.

25. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont see any legitimate reason to have the supportsers shield for anything. With Proper league structure which the EPL and other euro leagues dont have. And competitive teams across the board, Which the Euro leagues do Not have. I believe its best to get rid of the Shield.. Awarding the Conference Winners a semi final berth fits better and it reflects balance in the league. .. teams know to make the the CCL they need to win thier conference. kinda much like the NFL is with thier system you have to win your division to get a playoff spot. if you dont win your division you better have the best record out of the non winners(wildcard). the Playoffs will be Alot more exciting when not only the league title on the line but CCL and super liga spots too. keep Conferences, give the winners a bye to the semi, have the remaining 4 fight it out from highest to lowest seed in open rounds play, the surviving two go to semi. and the semi finals to the CUP game. ..... There really isnt a need for a Supporters Shield.. its just a watse of time. why follow some so called european copy cat that doesnt show results, doesnt mean anything. Sure Columbus wins both this past season But if they didnt win the MLS Cup they wouldnt have been league Champions. thats the truth!