I Really Need to Stop Expecting. . .

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Mglnbea, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . . .Frankie Hedjuk to make a decent, much less, dangerous cross.

. . .Gooch, or Pablo or Hedjuk to make it through a game without being booked.

. . .Taylor Twellman to score a meaningful goal in an international game.

. . .Landon to take a dangerous corner kick even though he'll probably take every corner kick until he retires.

. . .Boca or Gooch to stop kicking the ball into the stands rather than turning with the ball and keeping possession with a pass or dribble when they have time.

. . .a U.S. team to win by more than one goal no matter how much they dominate a match.

If I can just stop expecting these kinds of things, I just might be able to live longer due to an absence of higher blood pressure, wild fluctuations of heartbeat rate, and gain an overall calmer peace of mind and demeanor. ;)

Has anyone written The Art of Zen and the USMNT yet?

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon's been awful on set-pieces until this tournament, during which he's been pretty good. He had two especially dangerous dead balls today and didn't outright waste any.

Um, 6 of the 8 victories under Bradley have been by more than one goal.

3. Li mu bei

Li mu bei Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Kettering, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm . . . no.

He waited until the second game to start delivering decent balls.

True. How many of them would have been by more if we quit wasting time with . . . I don't know . . . say . . . Twellman?

4. MiamiCanes69

MiamiCanes69 New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    I need to stop expecting people not comming on here to and piss and moan about Heydude like he was killing our offense and giving up repeated chances on defense.

I totally agree, instead of the professional foul he should have let the guy walk in on Howard 1on1.:rolleyes:

5. jfugate

jfugate Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Chi-town
    Did everyone forget Donovan's corner that led to Beasley's goal against El Salvador? It was a great cross that led to the ball falling right to Beasley for the finish. He has obviously been spending time working on his serves, the last two or three games I haven't seen one that was horrible, unlike the first game where there were several.

Beasley's cross on the Boca goal was outstanding, though.

6. stlouisfc

stlouisfc New Member

Mar 31, 2007
    St. Louis
    ...the USA to finish their first three or four open chances.

7. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006

8. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Beasley seems to be the designated deadball taker now (which is a good thing, IMHO).

9. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got great hustle, love his spirit, but he does kill our offense when he moves up. He can't have converted more than 2-3 passes in the last third of the field. And he should have had a goal or at least been on target with that one shot he took. I love the guy, but I really don't think he adds as much offensively as some people think. And even with his wheels he does get caught up occasionally.

10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankie is a great athlete, and a great hustler. He is not a great soccer player, however. He can't cross the ball to save his life, he makes reckless tackles, and he's a red card waiting to happen.

Everyone loves Frankie, including myself, but at this stage I think his deficits outweigh his benefits. Did he save our ass today? Absolutely. No one questions his heart and determination.

11. El-Professor

El-Professor New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Gulf Plains
    ...people to be happy with a 4-0 record and 9-1 in goal differential.

I like Hejduk too, but Simek is far better. Perhaps BB is saving him and Demerit for the Copa.

12. MiamiCanes69

MiamiCanes69 New Member

Apr 28, 2004

13. Tertius

Tertius Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Delray Beach, FL
    Club:
    DC United

Umm, no. The Nats have a lot of games to play in a short period of time. This means a LOT of rotating of players, not seeing the best 11 every time out. Furthermore I suspect that Bradley may have though Frankie's game was better suited to what they would face today from Panama, ie a lot of counter-attacking and team speed. I disagree with him there, but maybe that was the thinking.

Heydjuk is one of my all time favorite Nats, but today he was caught out of position too much, stalled offensive surges with poor passing/crossing (even though he helped create those surges with his runs up the wings), and threatened to get a red at any second. He SHOULD have gotten a second yellow in the second half and I honestly question Bradley for not subbing him out.

Simek would have been a steadier option today in my mind. Having said that I am glad he is rested for the upcoming games. Does anyone know if he will be available for Copa?

14. MiamiCanes69

MiamiCanes69 New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    I see, so Haydude starting the first game of the tournament also had nothing to do with who is the better player right?:rolleyes:

As for Frankie being caught out of position too much, I must have been watching a different game because I missed all the goals Panama scored with Frankie caught up field.;) How many goals did Panama score on the counter and why didnt Coach Bob sub him out after the second time it happened? Im sure Timmy must have been pissed!

15. Tertius

Tertius Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Delray Beach, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    I didn't say they scored when it happened, merely that it DID happen. And actually, Timmy was pissed, I saw him yell at Frankie a couple times. And yes, I think you must have been watching a different game if you noticed none of this.

I will also point out that many coaches, and Bradley seems to be a prime example of this, will alter their lineup to fit the opponent. To them, there is no "best" 11. Merely what they consider best for that situation. Frankie is quick, and fast (not the same thing), and likes to get forward into the attack. Bradley seems to think that that is a good combination when playing against a fast counter-attacking team. I disagree, in this case.

You can't overcome being wrong by being extra aggressive and snarky, not even if you include cool emoticons like rolling eyes. Tone it down friend, and let's just compare ideas.

16. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I have to stick up for Twellman. He hit the post and the bar today. Unlike Dempsey (who I also have to applaud for his recent strike rate) Twellman's doing the right things around the goal. That is refreshing for a US striker.

Taylor will get lucky and he will get unlucky, that's what happens with strikers. But he does all the right things.

I remember, one summer ago, feeling like we didn't have a forward.

17. MiamiCanes69

MiamiCanes69 New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    I see, we have a difference of opinion and yet Im "wrong" and apparently need to "tone it down". Maybe you need to "get a life", "friend"

After Frankie starts the next two GC games you can come back with the same tripe about tactics or "resting players" (( insert clever smilie here))

18. joeginto

joeginto Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    the U.S. team to play a complete 90 minutes against decent competition.

Sunil Gulati to not come across as such a twit.

Bob Bradley to smile. Just once.

Pablo to not play like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I'd like to see Beasley or Feilhaber start taking our corners. Get Landon in the box where he can contribute (not that he's really going to win many aerial battles, but if the ball hits the ground he's there to put it away).

Rico Clark might be worth a shot at DFKs--dude has a great long-range shot.

20. ehard22

ehard22 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I liked Beas hitting the freekicks against China at the end. He whips the ball across the face of goal and can serve it in with both feet. That to me is most important. Out-swinging balls when you have a dead ball kick 20 to 30 yards out are usually cleared. An in-swinger makes the keeper stay and home and all that is needed is a touch to put it in...(see: ManU vs. Liverpool this season)

Also, I have been defending Onyewu for a while to my friends and others on here, but yesterday....that was enough for me. He is useless against a skilled forward. If the U.S. wants to be a world power of a champion, could you really see Gooch shutting down Rooney, or Klose, or Torres. A skilled forward? Yeah the Eye-ties scored 1 goal and he did fairly well, but the Italians aren't known for the scoring prowless. Yes I know, they have big names, but this is the team that needed a crap PK call to beat the "mighty" Aussies.

Anyway, I would love to see Simek and DeMeritt play a bit more. How are these guys top flight or championship defenders, yet placed below two defenders in the MLS. No offense to the MLS, but DeMeritt was one a the few bright spots this year for Watford and he shut down Chelsea for a full 90 minutes. Simek at Sheffield Wednesday, was a defensive MVP. He gains all these acolades from the English press and is being scouted by many Premier league teams, and he can't even see much of the pitch on his national team. I dunno, I guess I just don't get it.

21. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    You're right, he got absolutely torched by Koller and Toni in the WC. :rolleyes:

I don't think he would match up very well against Rooney, but I do think he could do a good job shutting down Klose and Torres.

22. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really need to stop expecting:

That BS posters will ever appreciate and savor a dominating USA win.

23. moonbbad

moonbbad Member

May 21, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. Beasley took the one because we needed someone left footed from that side. Donovan will take the majority of the deadballs.

24. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Beasley was taking all the deadballs after a certain point in the second half. If I remember correctly, it didn't matter what side of the field they started from.

25. FallenAndCan'tGetUp

FallenAndCan'tGetUp New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    We are FKD if this is a highlight.

The USMNT looks suspect at so many positions that I can't wait til the U 20 tourney is over and we can look to some unknowns to roll the dice with.

Onyewho - Heyduck - ? Is the best we can come up with in this country?