I never realized how many of you want us out of MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by lerxst, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    After reading Mr. Archer's blog entry about the state of the Canadian game and Toronto's expansion into MLS, I never fully realized how many of you really don't want us there. He commented on the fact that new clubs are vying for possible expansion into MLS but I don't think he realizes that about 90% of those claims are simply conjecture and probably won't come to fruition.

Regardless, it's too bad that there is an anti-Canadian sentiment because I for one am a huge fan of MLS and support it whenever I can. Tomorrow's All-Star game is a perfect example; I'm a season ticket holder who chose to dish out the extra bucks for the All-Star game just for that purpose: to ensure that the rest of the world understands that this league is doing just fine and that it'll be around long after I'm gone.

Anyway; just so you know, this TFC supporter is also an avid MLS supporter as countless battles with eurosnobs will certainly attest to.

2. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just bust on you guys because you never had the nads to fight for independence. You just had to be real Canadian about things and ask for it nicely, patiently, and politely.

3. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    It never fails to amaze me how many douche-bags seem to think I care about whether they personally think my club should take part in "their" league either. :rolleyes:

4. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wasn't around back then. I can't really comment.

5. Bluebirds Boyo

Nov 26, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    It worked, didn't it?

Think of all the lives you wasted when you could have just asked nicely!

Manners maketh man, and all that.

6. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle New Member

May 17, 2006
    Kwassa Kwassa
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I'm happy you are supporting MLS. Thank you for helping to fight the good battle against the Eurosnobs.

Second, I wouldn't say that a majority of people are anti-Canadian, or anti-Canadian expansion even. There are some people who like making fun of Canada/Canadians (but not seriously), and there are also people who greatly resent TFC's fan base, but please don't misconstrue this to say that these people are against Canadian soccer.

Third, I believe most of the people against Canadian expansion have rational reasons for being so. (If I don't speak for you, please say so) I think a majority of these people will argue these main points.
    1. MLS has a limited league size and adding a team from Canada automatically removes a team from the states.
    2. Having another Canadian teams will dilute the already thin pool of Canadian talent that's willing to play in MLS.
    3. This isn't the EU. Canadian players aren't counted as domestic here, and American's aren't counted as domestic there, therefore it requires creating a whole different rulebook only applicable to these specific teams.
    4. If Canada can actually support at least three fully functioning professional soccer teams, why can't they simply have their own league. (There are plenty of other leagues across the world in countries that are less industrialized and with a much smaller population.)

Personally, I think Canadian expansion could do some good, so long as the timing is right for both the candidate and MLS, and I'm sure there are those who disagree with me.

7. DC Fan in Chatt

DC Fan in Chatt New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why because of one article would you generalize all of us?
    Most of us love what tfc brings to the table in mls. Its some of your fans on these boards we hate.