I meant what I said and I said what I meant. MLS will be a top league in the World by 2022 one-hund

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by triplet1, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, would you classify USSF's World Cup 2010 goal a failure? I'd say that on paper it was but really it was a success. I look at MLS' goal in the same way.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In THIS thread, I'd say no, we don't.

Besides, IMHO, if you look at the last ~6 months or so, MLS has brought in Clint Dempsey, Jermaine Defoe, and Michael Bradley. If they bring in 6 players of that caliber every year, I would judge that as, well, doing serious budgetary work on how much a spaceship would cost. Still a hell of a long way to go, and realistically, not something that can be done by 2022, but looks suspiciously like a plan to get there by 2025 to 2030.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the American player isn't good enough to fulfill this vision by 2022.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be A top league? I'd argue against the statement that American players aren't good enough to get MLS to a too league.

If MLS were trying to be THE top league by 2022, you'd have a point.

5. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You obviously dont follow Roma.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes, somewhere, didn't Garber specifically say "top 4 or 5"? If so, then no, the American player, even projecting the current arc of improvement out to 2022, isn't good enough to be the backbone of a top 4 or 5 league. I'd argue that only Italy, Germany and Spain (if RM and Barca's best Spanish players were spread out more) could do so. Oh, and probably France, but too many of the best French players play outside France, so I don't know how to assess that.

7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure he said top 4 or 5.. Or, at least, I don't remember him saying it. I think a lot of people have interpreted his comment to mean that, but I'm not sure he came out and said it directly.

8. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    don't embarrass yourself, son. :)

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He did say this earlier this year (may 28th)

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/866?cc=5901

That to me would mean better than League 1 / maybe on par with Serie A.

triplet1, superdave and Yoshou repped this.
  10. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    this is debatable too.
    but the funny thing, imo, is how much the goalposts keep moving, as triplet1 basically said in his 'name that tune' post.
    {while we're not even supposed to mention that the mls 'life style' edge might not work wonders, because that would 'move the goalposts!' :) btw, queretaro over vancouver. who'd have thunk it.}

11. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    #1211 ChinaBlue, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  12. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  13. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I'd say they didn't achieve the goal they set for themselves. And, I'd say when they went back and looked at why they didn't -- a worthwhile practice for any goal that's worth setting -- they figured out where they could have done better and acted accordingly.

Just because an organization fails to meet an established goal doesn't necessarily mean it is worse off than where it was. Often there is some improvement, as there arguably was with USSF. But having served on a number of corporate boards over the years where setting goals is one of the primary functions of the board, I can tell you categorically that a fundamental principle of good corporate governance is that goals should be meaningful, measureable -- and there should be consequences to management for meeting or not meeting them.

For those of you who think this is simply puffing, all I can tell you is that this was 2022 goal was apparently established by the Board of Governors, and from my experience it would be very unusual for any corporate board of a reasonably sized for-profit company to set a goal they knew to be unobtainable simply as a marketing ploy. For publicly traded organizations where disclosures are heavily regulated, it would be incredibly foolish to puff anything about future performance, and even for organizations like MLS, LLC that aren't publically traded, it's not unusual for their debt instruments, or debt of related entities, to be traded or held by banks or financial institutions that are. (For example, most of the stadium bonds are, I suspect.)

Whatever we may believe, Garber and company have said this enough times that I think both the BofG and management do take this goal seriously, and they are being evaluated on that basis. Case in point, Forbes 2012 analysis of wage rate growth in from union data which, Forbes said, "provides a useful comparison of the growth in compensation over the years while also displaying just how far MLS has to go before its commissioner can consider it a world class league."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zachsla...steady-improvement-but-still-not-world-class/

I'm not the only one evaluating MLS on what it said it intended to do.

Allez RSL and pichichi2010 repped this.
  14. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Only from fans, to be fair. The league hasn't walked back from the goal at all IMO.

I understand why loyal fans who look at this might try and recast it into something more achievable to spare the league from harsh criticism should it fall short, but MLS hasn't done that.

15. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    well, we don't know for a fact that the bog has set '2022 or bust' as a strategic goal, do we?
    'i said what i meant and i meant what i said' says 'i' a bunch of times.
    forbes too only talks about 'the commissioner.'
    so i think there's the possibility of dismissing all this as a marketing guy (which garber is) being a marketing guy.
    again, it's like the 'distributed tix' they all love on attendance analysis.
    and i mention distributed tix again because of the point about stadium financing bonds. if you're a bank you want actual ticket revenues, not this other nonsense. i still would hope that, likewise, the bog hasn't focused on 'top league 2022.'
    yes, i meant in our discussions, as i referenced the 'move the goalposts' objection put forth when i mentioned my doubts about the 'quality of life' claims that are supposed to favor mls, and your own post.

16. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    That's what has been reported, this from Michael Lewis in 2011 when this was announced:

"Major League Soccer officials said on Thursday announced that they have plans for the league to become a leading American sport and one of the best leagues in the world by 2022.

“We’re operating now with a clear vision in mind. The vision that has been articulated by our board is that by 2022 soccer is to be a pre-eminent sport in North America and MLS is to be among the best leagues,” MLS executive vice president Nelson Rodriguez said on Thursday morning.

Rodriguez, EVP of competition and game operations, and Todd Durbin, executive vice president of competition and player relations, have been charged by the league’s board of directors — its owners — to find out what has to be done to accomplish that audacious and lofty goal and ambitious project for a league that is only in its 16th season."

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/leagues/mls2.php?article_id=28112

Note Garber didn't even make the initial announcement, Rodriguez and Durbin did.

Again, I think "hell or high water" MLS see the goal as so "audacious", to use Lewis' word, that they are trying to walk it back. "This is just Garber puffing; we all know he really didn't mean it." The only problem with that is it isn't just Garber and I think they do really mean it. But wanting it and paying for it are two different things. As far as I can tell, the owners just aren't on the same page in terms of dedicating the enormous financial resources necessary to achieve the goal.

And that was the purpose of this thread. Whether I personally think it is wise or not, if they really are serious, they have to change their approach IMO.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, my point was that after a year and almost 50 pages of analyzing the comment it might be time to move on and accept that it was a marketing comment that they may not achieve, but that in 2022 most people won't remember either so it doesn't really matter.

kenntomasch repped this.
  18. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    ok. i guess there's the well-known wiggle room in the description 'among the best leagues' (by some 'measures' they're there already!). and tasking someone with 'finding out what has to be done to accomplish that audacious and lofty goal' leaves it at a preliminary stage, i suppose.
    it's a silly goal, taken literally. and the bog members must know that... surely... ??

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at a prior link I posted, they repeated this year and even specified that they mean top 4 league.

Now, is cool to set high goals even if you do not meet them.

So what if MLS is not "better" than the Italian league by 2020.

If the league is better in 2020 than what it was in 2010 that is a good thing right?

Now what if Liga MX is still kicking ass in the CCL by 2020 like they do now? would that mean the league failed bad on their goal?

I wounder if regardless of what happens by 2020, the league (and who ever the Comoshioner is by then) will just borrow Bush's banner and declare mission accomplished.

20. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    They might, but I don't think it will work if they don't have substance behind the claim.

Jasonma may have a point that this thread has run it's course, but I don't think the issue goes away. As you note, MLS keeps this goal alive and, to me, the league invites the "nothing is ever good enough" fan response because of the way they themselves are defining what they expect to become. Whether they intended to or not, MLS has massively raised fan expectations to the point where every positive story now seems to fall hopelessly short of what fans expected. Look at the TV thread or the comment section on other websites, and you'll see fans convinced some new era of salary cap spending is at hand that we push MLS on to the big time. As we discussed throughout this thread, I simply do not think it is possible, and many of you seem to agree.

But who knows, maybe it will happen and eight seasons from now MLS will be everything it hopes to be. I'd love to be proven wrong, so perhaps a hopeful note isn't a bad way to end this thread.

Good luck to 'em.

MODS, as far as I'm concerned, we can tie this one up and you can lock at your discretion.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a really good reason for that: many fans are immature and unrealistic.

Those of us who remember when there weren't much in the way of expectations, only hopes (with the big one being that the league wouldn't fold) laugh at the people who whine because something that would have been unthinkably good even ten years ago just isn't awesome enough for them anymore.

I know it's hard when you hit 30 and not everything in life and the sports you follow has been fully realized yet, but you'll just have to buck up and try to persevere, folks.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well then... there goes my hopes and dreams. :p

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1223 jond, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Wait, so it's the fans who are at fault and unrealistic for considering how the league will attempt to meet it's own publicly stated expectations, not the suits who are making and stating the unrealistic expectations?

And you mention those of us who remember what the league was like years ago, as if Garber and his colleagues don't recognize what the league was like 10 years ago.

There's a bad habit around here to constantly blame fans.

BTW, growing expectations are the sign of a growing league. It comes with the territory. I could also throw out that a few should show some perspective and remember the days when many didn't care at all about MLS or the viability of footy in this country and the increased expectations/opinions are due to their being more fans and more passion. It goes both ways.

Always amazing to me how some fans want more supporters of MLS and want more eyes on the league to boost ratings, and then turn around and constantly whine about the opinions of a number of those fans. It's as if some diehards want more fans, but only as long as those fans support the league in a certain manner and live up to the expectations of those diehards, basically fall in line and support the league the way in which they see fit. We see it all the time with a few around here constantly wanting to close threads and silence varying viewpoints. That's what slightly amusing, the expectations some MLS diehards have of what fans should be, how they should follow the league, then turn around and whine about the expectations of others. It's now turned into, as a diehard MLS fan I have a expectations of what an MLS fan should look like and if you don't meet those expectations, then your expectations are the problem.

It's an inferiority complex. You don't see NFL or NBA fans spending so much time and energy telling others how to support their league. They don't care. Watch or don't watch. Support it however it works for you. That's how sports goes.

manoa, gaucho16, superdave and 2 others repped this.
  24. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    we can always start another one later. 'let's discuss i-meant-what-i-said some more.'
    we have till 2022.:)

25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It's hard to take some fans seriuosly however.

You know, the types who tell a Stoke supporter that Brek Shea could be a 20 mill transfer to a CL team in the EPL by years end.

If that isn't being unrealistic, and not understanding something to the point of delsuion I don't know what is.

While I don't dislike, or disagree with many of your posts and points u make, u do stuff like that wayyyyyyyyyy to often to be an accident...and easily embody what kenn was pointing out.

There is honest pragmatic analysis and questioning, but if your basis of reality is so warped, how reasonable and realistic can it be?

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.