I Hope The Fans At The Meadowlands Saturday Night Sing "Auld Lang Syne" To 33 Years Of Soccer

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaveBrett, Oct 19, 2009.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    ''while the NASL had tons of great memories in that stadium, it has been nothing but a curse to MLS...''

Very wise words

2. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    There too! 1st chance many of us had to go to a live soccer game that mattered.

As for GS, it was an anchor for MLS, but not too bad for all other soccer. RIP.

3. KLECKO73

KLECKO73 New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    GARDEN STATE

You won't support a junk food item dressed up as a team or support it because it only wants to hear it's name, but you sure as hell would support your team trying to win the copa TOYOTA libertadores trophy wouldn't you.

As for the stadium. I don't think it's even that big a deal to the actual Giants that it's named after. So why should soccer fans care?

4. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Is it possible to support the team and not the Ownership/FO?

5. ejo1956

ejo1956 Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Man U fans do it (i.e. Malcolm Glazer)

6. BokenTerp

BokenTerp New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hoboken, NJ
    Yeah at least Red Bull isn't leaching on society like AIG, Northern Rock, etc.

7. eightyhoursaway

Jun 5, 2008
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    alright dude, shut the f*ck up. this thread is about giants stadium, not about your personal vendetta against red bull. guess what bro? THE F*CKING METROSTARS WERE NAMED AFTER A CORPORATION AS WELL....METRO MEDIA. if you were such a die hard, you should've known that, right??

8. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why would people react in this way?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    dont even compare the 2 .......

one thing is to have a sponcership of a cup or a jersey another is the 100% marketing sham THAT TAKES PLACE IN NEW JERSEY!!! the red bulls promote their ********ing drink always 1st and foremost... to have toyota sponcer the Copa Libertadores are 2 different worlds....

MY TEAM AINT NAMED AFTER A JUNK FOOD ITEM as yours is....... NJ MLS named their garbage after their drink to promote the drink at every turn... just go look at the rules for your fan of the year contest video.......

as far as Metros being named after metro media yeah i knew that but the difference is no one knew about metromedia it was not synonimus with TV and radio soccer team.... when you thought about the metrostars you thought about the bad luck soccer team in NJ... red bull is the drink drink and more drink plugs then comes the supposed soccer club.... many are turned off by this garbage hence why many no longer go.....

and b-4 you even rant about PSV or Cruz azul or other corporate teams keep in mind that soccer in the rest of the world started as amature teams and leagues such as cruz azul who fielded teams for their employees when these amature leagues became pro leagues taking the teams teams pro as well those very same amature corporate teams became profesional and stayed in the professional circuit evolving to what it is to day.......

red bull is a bastard idea gone unchecked that is why you have red drink NY red drink in austria a red drink in brasil which thank god no one follows so red drink will never turn a profit in brasil and will forever waste awaY in the 4th division... and who knows where else red drink will shit out another squad....

red energy drink is repulsive MLS big wigs hate the energy drink image that is hurting this area that they want to make up another NY team...

sorry eighthoursaway i wont shut up not now not never unlike morons who hate red bull but support it because thats all their is I wont support that shit... I am not anti MLS or anti soccer in USA i love this game but energy drink is the wrong image for any club in mls... also borrowing some one elses history like FAKE Chivas USA is another no no..............

If MLS wanted to rebrand the NY side fine come up with a image that NJ and NY could rally around..............not the image that was thrust down our mouths by the energy drink....

had the energy drink put on a sponcer ship on a jersey while keeping the club identity i would have no problems but to be named after a drink with the horrific drink logo all over that ugly ass jersey thats a full blown prostitution of your corporate propaganda....

I am anti energy drink in MLS and in NJ the only way to see it gone is to have it fail over and over again......

I am not anti mls never have been just because I no longer support my local side..i do support mls and i will start supporting a new side in MLS starting right now.....

I hate red bull so much................................

its only natural I take up DCU

AGUANTE DC UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, THAT'S what's holding back another NY area team. :rolleyes:

11. Zoti

Zoti Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brooklyn
    I agree with pretty much everything you said but in the hell can you support that abortion of a team called DC United?
    If yu're gonna go that route couldn't you at least pick another MLS team, like Portland Timbers or TFC for example which seem like the teams that best embody what you stand for.

12. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Why? He was partly, if not mainly, responsible for the Cosmos' demise. He had Steve Ross wrapped around his finger, and he ran the team into the ground.

If it was me, I try to get Pele; that is, if he can sing. :D

13. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Ahhhh, memories........lots of DC United victories, lots of broken NJ hearts.

Sigh.

14. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    The team and the league were already heading into the ground by the time Giorgio took over. He wasn't responsible for the collapse.

But it would be funny to hear him try to sing.

15. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20071448,00.html

16. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Oh wait, forget it...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toWL4aJ4mmE"]YouTube - Giorgio Chinaglia - (I'm) Football Crazy (1974)[/ame]

17. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    if you scourge the RBNY BS boards, Metrofanatic, and esc boards, you'll find quite a few people attached to the old days for sure. and that doesn't even include people who don't even partake in message boards all together.

i'm not one of them, my experience of GS and the world's game are that of bringing friends to games or watching games on tv just to have them say "why are they playing on football lines?" "this looks so unprofessional"

I LOVE my Knicks. I F U CKING hate James Dolan, and sadly he's never selling that team, ever. with both Knicks and RBNY i started watching games and got hooked before i dug deep into FO/ownership news/gossip. the name "Red Bulls" never struck me as "why is this team named after a soda?", i mean it was blatantly obvious with signage, but instead when i first saw the new name (i wasn't a huge mls fan at the time) i thought, hey it's better than Metro(sexual)Stars, and they got rid of the NJ part (sorry to my NJ fan brethren, but it's just in our blood to not like eachother... right?).

oh yeah i love my yankees too, and "The Boss" seems to come with his bad connotations as well it seems.

So case in point, I love New York sports and the players that play for the team no matter how crooked their ultimate marketing ploy is. yes it is possible.

also... hey Wile? just out of curiosity where do you reside? your profile says Uruguay, correct? why so much hate for a team based in a city so far away from you? not trying to be a smart ass here, just trying to clarify.

18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Let him sing '' I did it my way'' but in a new version ''I ruined it my way''

19. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Tons of great NASL moments at Giants but only 2 good MLS ones I can think of: 1996 MLS all star game/world all stars doubleheader and Beckham game in JULY of 07. That stadium actually is pretty electric for soccer when its full.

20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Jimi Hendrix-House Burning Down-Electric Ladyland

21. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall this was Chivas's Owner/President great idea, which personally find it smart.
    I just wished the team, was more mexican so it could give a better atmosphere.
    Also why are you so anti- bulls if you live outside the USA.

To me it's still a NY/NJ team, who knows 5 years from now the ownership might change again and we will have to get use to the new name.

Bottom line it is our team.

22. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    both (and whatever other ones there are) Red Bull teams are hated around the world for what they symbolize :p

I had journalist from Austrian magazine contact me several weeks ago to talk about reaction to RB in MLS hehe that was fun :)

I think Wile lives in NY tho

23. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    fair enough.

I just feel like if i wasn't cheering for a NY club then i wouldn't care for MLS at all and I want to support the sport in our country as much as I can; I, like some of you love the European game, but could care less to root for a city I've never visited. If my local club is just a pawn along with action sports athletes, racing teams, and a music academy in a global marketing scheme, then so be it, if it's going to be like this for a while (cause let's face it, when is NYC2 coming anyways?), then at least it's a company that invests in exciting spectator driven products and not just some random corporation. In this given situation I'd rather root for a team owned and named after Red Bull than a team named after say Starbucks or Walmart.

That's them breaks for this NY based footy fan.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. woodlands

woodlands New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Will there be mist in the eyes of the 4,000 soccer fans in the 70,000-seat gridiron stadium that costs $250,000/game to rent and is named after the gridiron team?