I hate high school rules.

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Benedict XVI, Sep 8, 2002.

1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    that's stupid. speaking as a coach and former goalkeeper who loves fingersave gloves.

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In central Iowa, the JV normally precedes the Varsity game. (Except when there are darkness considerations, and the Varsity is first). Almost all Varsity and JV games are done with 3 NFHS/USSF certified officials. Freshman games use a two-man system and usually occur before the JV games.

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    "soft red" example- saving a goal with a handball in the box.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    For us "soft red" is 2 yellows.

JV plays here with 2-man system and 35 halves, then Varsity 3-man w/40 min.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We play JV w/2 as well, with a 36 minute half. 40 for varsity.

For the "soft" red, you hold up the yellow and the red cards simultaneously, in the same hand. The player is gone but you can sub for him.

The "hard" red of course means you play a man down.

The Keeper glove thing is getting even dumber. Fingersaves are out, also Reusch Orthotec. Uhlsport depends on the ref. My kid was forbidden to use them for a match, then four straight refs said OK, then yesterday another guy said no. (He was po'd, but he wore his Sondicos and played the match of his life against an undefeated side ranked #1 in the state. They scored once, after frying two defenders and putting one into the side netting, but he just rocked.)

It's total chaos. OHSAA claimed they would be sending out a clarification, but they haven't, probably because they've suddenly realized the real implications of what they've done. The last I heard, adidas was sending lawyers. What a riot.

6. listentobobmarley

Jan 5, 2001

Why would you do this?

7. listentobobmarley

Jan 5, 2001
    I think that after you win statein HS soccer, you should go to regionals, then on to a National Tourney.

that would be tight

8. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    wait...i'm not sure if i missed it in the previous pages...but isn't that how it works? It seems the most logical to work your way up from lowest to highest

9. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    mass plays with somethign similar....2 man system at all times in jv with 35 mins. varsity mostly uses 2 man with 40min except in some cases there are 3 men. in state tourny games, there is a 3 man system

10. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    yea that would be sweet but some stupid organization would get involved and say it wasnt 'good for the kids'

11. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Problem is some states like VA play in the Spring, while many others play in the Fall.

12. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    In Illinois, JV games can be up to 80 minutes (2 40s) if they are "stand alone" games, but for the most part on days when the home team doesn't have lights, you play the 80 minute varsity game first, then you get the JV game whatever time you can before dark.

Example: Wednesday we played Varsity first, then we literally only had 37 minutes until it was pitch dark. So that's what we played. It was VERY VERY VERY dark at the end of that JV game, but you get the JV kids as much time as you can.

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I disagree. Adult co-ed soccer has the same rule. It's my only saving grace if we can't get a throw-in or goal kick and I've already faked an injury! :)

14. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    the only time the colored sock rule with tape comes into play is during the playoffs...we are going out to get blue electric tape for Tuesday's playoff game, as we'll be wearing our blue socks for that one.

15. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    West Virginia still does play 4 20-minute quarters. It's a bit of an adjustment for us when we cross the border and play two 40-minute halves in Maryland.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh gheez, this'll be fun..

especially if adidias does actually sue. no one, AFAIK, has successfully sued the OHSAA.

17. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't read this whole thread but was wondering if anyone had mentioned that coaches can call a "Time-out" in Massachusetts HS soccer. They get one per half. First time I sawit it blew my mind. I was thinking "What have they done to our game?"

Other things that bother me are:

- Required mouth guards. The kids can't talk to each other on the field. If they are caught with out the guard they can be shown a yellow card.

- Shin guards have to be position appropriate. I'm still not sure what that means.

- two referee system. Then they switch sides at halftime.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If it holds down costs, I have little problem with the 2 ref system, but I understand its limitations, too.

Mouthguards have been brought up, though maybe on other threads: some folks suggest that it has to do with insurance matters, and fear of litigation. If anyone can clarify the "position appropriate" shinguards, I'd appreciate it, as it seems to be more applicable to baseball or even cricket than soccer.

19. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think position appropriate refers to the size of the shinguard. I'm not clear as to why one position would need a different size shin guard than another.

20. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    by position appropriate, i'm sure they mean that you can't wear tiny shinguards, and tape them up high. You have to have the lower part of your shin covered

21. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Re: anyone know the rational?

When I was in HS, our last match of the year was always against our rivals from the next town. In this match, if the score was tied after regulation, then the ref would report the game as a draw to the league, but the game still continued into extra time and, if necessary, penalties because the winner of the match won a cup.

22. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    If I was reffing that league, I'd leave the "soft" red card at home. I wouldn't be needing it.

23. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hard red/soft red issue is brought to us by NFHS - the high school association.
    A soft red is appropriate for a second yellow card, taunting or excessive celebration. Strange, but one of the rules you accept when you agree to do high school.

24. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Guess that's why I've never done high school.

25. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    i hate the fact that they switch sides at halftime