I hate high school rules.

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Benedict XVI, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    In Alberta Canada

Outdoor:MAy till August, Nationals are in October
    Indoor: End of October till March

2. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or not at all!!!

If you get a red card for "taunting" you only have to sit out the rest of the current game and your team does not have to play short-handed.

3. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well, in Colorado, there's the rule that if you get two yellows, you get red-carded and face the normal suspension, but your team can put someone in for him so the team isn't down a man. In the state finals four years ago, the ref gave a kid a second yellow, sent him off, and didn't let a sub on until five minutes later when the coach finally realized what had happened.

Yeah, HS rules are screwed up.

4. italia_in_02

italia_in_02 New Member

Jul 24, 2001
    NJ
    WTF!??!?! I love those gloves!! Ok.....wait....let me figure this out.....they're banning something that can prevent injury?? Hmmmmm, maybe the next thing will be that you can't wear shinguards or cups!!

5. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Fingersaves are just excuses for bad technique plus their bulky and expensive. Unless i had a healing finger i wouldn't wear them.

I could see them being banned cuz of the plastic spines...

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If i'm not mistaken, california's seasons are really screwed up. in some parts of the state it's boys in the fall and girls in the spring, and some parts of the state both play in the winter.
    there's not a state championship game ... too big of a state to justify the travel expense i assume.

7. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    That is. . .gay.
    Why not baseball-style substitution?

8. italia_in_02

italia_in_02 New Member

Jul 24, 2001
    NJ
    How are they an excuse for bad technique? They help you to protect your fingers when saving a shot from close in, so that you don't hyperextend your fingers.

Anyway, the spines are protected within the glove, so there's no danger there. But i played in our season opener on friday, and the refs said the gloves were fine

9. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    they are totally an excuse for bad technique.

Spines have that pre-curve to them, and they absorb the impact of a well paced strike.

10. italia_in_02

italia_in_02 New Member

Jul 24, 2001
    NJ
    They don't absorb the impact, they protect against the hyperextension of the finger.

Anyway, if the player isn't good enough to know how to catch a ball correctly, then they wouldn't buy the gloves because they'd be too much money to spend on a player that's going nowhere.

11. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    How do they do that? By absorbing some of the shock from the ball. Duh!! You say tomayto, I say tomahto.

At least they're consistant. H.S. rules are dictated by school officials deathly afraid of tort liability. They are paranoid about any supplement bracing as a potential danger to other players. I can't say that I always agree with them, but - oh well!

12. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    how many world class keepers wear Fingersaves?

You may feel that they don't absorb impact, but i had a pair of FS Titaniums and they absorb the pace of the ball. Thats how I feel, and we're all entitled to our opinion so i'll leave it at that.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally managed to get a little more info on the Fingersave deal.

Apparently, a kid in Columbus showed up with Fingersaves that were split somehow up the back of one finger.

The referee decided that the plastic spines constituted "splints" and that they presented a potential hazard. He forbade the kid to wear them.

So far, so good.

But then he filed a report about these secret spines in adidas gloves, and after no rational examination whatsoever, the Ohio High School Athletic Association issued a directive to all refferees to ban adidas Fingersaves AND Reusch Orthotecs.

Not having a clue, a turdhead last Saturday refused to let my kid play in Uhlsport Powerframes, which just have some padding on the back of the hand.

A State assistant commissioner told me today that they are enforcing the rule prohibiting "splints" unless properly padded. Problem is, it would seem to me that there's plenty of padding back there.

It's idiotic. Another assistant commissioner told me it was a National Rule, that Ohio would simply not be going it alone; I told her that it was INDEED Ohio which is banning a glove worn all over the world at every level. She had no response, but it's clear she didn't believe me.

Unreal.

14. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    That is quite rediculous. Support Frames only offer support on the wrist when catching.

who is ur assitant commissioner?

15. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF? What is wrong with those types of gloves? Protecting the safety of kids (preventing jammed/sprained fingers) is a bad thing?

16. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    The idea - even if it's a stretch - is to protect other players from injury from the splints should they become exposed.

17. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another thing on red cards..

In illinois they have 2 kinds of red cards, a "Soft" red and a "Hard Red". If it's a soft red, we can sub back in again, a hard you can't. Then you have to sit out 1 game.

18. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    dont they call those yellow cards?

19. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the case, I can understand the Puma Ortho-Tec gloves being banned, because the splines can easily become exposed. At the wristline on the back of the glove, there's a velcro strip so that you can remove the splines in both the thumb and each finger. But the adidas model is completely enclosed...

Quite a stretch... I hate high school sports.

20. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no yellow cards are yellow?

21. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Poor logic. How many crappy drivers do you know who have already crashed their birthday presents?

22. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Someone's lying to you. For each kind of red, you're out for the rest of that game and the next one. All double cautions are a soft red. Hard reds require the team play a man down--but they're rarely given.

23. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    There are some things I don't like about HS soccer but first one thing I DO like about it.

The HS format of training and/or playing everyday is useful in preparing the player for college soccer. This as opposed to club ball where a player trains 2-3 nights a week and plays games on weekends will help the player become more accustomed to the pace of the college season.

The other thing that is good about HS is the importance of each individual game as teams compete for a playoff spot. In club ball the teams play so many games that the individual games become relatively meaningless up until State Cup. Again, for those going on to college, where again, the success of the program is measured by qualifying for playoffs, any points lost for ties when you could have won, may knock you out of playoffs. Consequently, players must be constantly focused on each play in each game to assure they don't miss out on playoffs.

A final plus about HS is that they don't have that ridiculous US soccer institution called "tournaments."

Tournaments, as set up in the US, are the most anti-player device we have. They cause players to learn to pace themselves in many games so they don't become so exhausted they can't play in the finals. Even so, players DO become exhausted and injuries are the frequent result. I recently heard a statistic that indicated that the highest injury rate is for finals games. The obvious intimation is that it is fatigue related.

In college, the pros, and in HS, there is enough time between games so that players can recover physically so they can play the game at 100% level without having to conserve energy for the second, third and fourth games of a tournament.

Those are some things I LIKE about HS soccer.

What I hate is the fact that in many places JV plays at the same time as varsity. The result is JV doesn't have the chance to see the next level.

Also, JV gets only a single officials, with no side officials at all. The effect this has on the way the game is played is huge. It is impossible to stay as compact on defense as you must because the ref will never be positioned to call offsides as closely at they should.

Also players learn they can foul much more than they should because the ref won't see them.

That is the way I see it as both a club and HS coach.

24. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    not in IL. that died out after my freshman year (1991 season)

25. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Re: I like High School Soccer

I agree 100%. As a former H.S. player and a current H.S. Coach.