I hate high school rules.

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Benedict XVI, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just thought I'd share.

Esp: having to sub a kid who gets a yellow.

Dumb.

2. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    Yes I hate that rule too. It's quite annoying.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont like the fact that jv plays 35 minute halves and varsity plays 40 minute halves.

Let them all play 45 minute halves.

4. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    And isn't a red card 2-game suspension?

5. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Be happy you even have a team. Our school would never give us one even though the coach was willing to coach us for free and everyone would buy their own shoes/shinguards, even balls. The school wouldn't buy uniforms or transportation because the football team for some reason needs 7 different types of uniforms.

Not trying to flame, just be happy you even get to play. Here after you're 12 and out of Kids Inc you're ************ed. They changed that after I got out too. I had to play at 12 against 18 year olds and I didn't bitch, but I guess a lot of the parents complained and didn't want their little babies playing against 18 year olds so they shut out anyone over 13.

6. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    high school rules are so dumb...

-not being able to wear tape a different color from your socks

-having to have the shin guards no more then 6 inches off the ground

-not being able to wear white ankle socks over your soccer socks

stupid stupid stupid

7. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    wow that sucks!

So why can't u use normal white tape, if ur team's socks are blue???

8. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    I guess you'd have to paint the tape blue. That's ridiculous. They should be more concerned with the terrible officiating at that level instead of player fashion. ;)

Wow, high school soccer seems a lot different where you guys are. In New England/most the northeast we don't have anything like that...

9. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    that's utter shiet!

It's a big nuissance, what if the blue tape isn't the matching shade of blue used for the socks??? *rolls eyes*

10. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hate the signaling of fouls. offside, the ref puts his hands on his hips.

i also hate unlimited substitution.

it's all set up to favor the big schools. jerks.

11. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got that right. We play schools that have 5 and 6 subs rotating in and out over a match. We are lucky if we have 2 subs for a match.

Make them play iron man.

12. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    :D Where do you live? Do you these same referees do football games as well?

13. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's national high school rules. signaling all rules is back.

hurrah.

14. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    If it's a national rule why don't they do it in Connecticut? I've never seen these ridiculous signals at a high school game.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they just brought the signals back this year,,,I am a high school ref in CT and I think its a joke

16. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    no, but we have to wear mothguards, deal with terrible officiaiting and play the state final on turf even though every other game of the year is on grass. there is also talk of wearing helmets....

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I had heard about the mouthguards from a previous thread. Where's the helmet talk coming from?

18. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    This is why, when I was asked by the assignor if I'd like to ref middle school matches, I told him I'd be busy that day. They do simply awful things to pervert the game, and I feel we should not support that. In my school district, they use a two man system, hand signals, they play overtime to decide draws, right through high school. It's a travesty.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Do any of the high schools still play four quarters instead of two halves?

20. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    helmets

I believe the helmet idea came from a "doctor" in California who claimed headers create irreprepiable brain injuries. I cant believe the rule about mouthguards, I have never heard of that before.

I dont mind the unlimited subbing because it allows a coach to make adjustments by taking a player out and discussing tactics, etc. It also allows the starting 11 to stay fresh throughout the season by using the guys on the bench.

21. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: helmets

It's great if you have 20 guys on your bench. It stinks if you have a squad of 14 or 15.

Unlimited subbing is one thing, but there should be a limit to the bench size if they aren't going to limit substitutions. Last team we played had more kids on the bench than we had kids total.

If they are worried about their going a full 80, then they should make the haves 30 minutes or something. All this subbing is for sucks.

I "discuss" with my players from the sideline, I don't need to take them out for that. ;)

22. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    Re: Re: helmets

High schools sports are about participation. I think it is admirable that the rules are set up to encourage the coach to let everyone play. That's how most youth rec leagues do it. That is how most adult rec leagues do it.

I doubt anyone thinks all those HS rules about uniforms and the singals for infractions are necessary, though. It's just something extra for the ref to study the night before a game.

23. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: helmets

The unlimited substitution rule is terrible once players reach high school level. They need to learn to play for extended periods of time. Coaches need to learn tactics and how to teach players how to conserve energy instead of having players playing at a frantic pace.

24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Re: Re: helmets

I dont think players need to learn how to play for an extended time at the high school level. If the schedule is strong enough then obviously the coach wont need to sub, but if a team is winning
    8-0 whats the point of your starters getting in the full 80 or 90 mins? You might as well get your reserves and/or younger players some experience that might be needed later down the road.

I "discuss" with my players from the sideline, I don't need to take them out for that.

I am sure most coaches "discuss" and "instruct" from the sideline but its nice to have the ability to talk to a player in a one-on-one situation at times.