I get the distinct impression people around here....

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by TorFC-TML, Jul 14, 2008.

1. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Are the type who get offended when someone calls out MLS for being a mickey mouse league.

Alot of you are probably the type who call into World Soccer Daily when they trash MLS for changing the rules to accomadate the Galaxy and complain about how they are the ones doing a disservice to soccer in America.

Alot of you are probably the type who get your panties in a wad when some talking head jackoff like Jim Rome makes fun of soccer.

MLS apoligists are what is wrong with soccer in America.

2. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, those who take some pride in their league are the problem. How about those running around trashing the league in its entirety. You and those like you are the problem. We all know there are issues, but running around spreading constant negativity about the league isn't the way to change anything. Have fun at the ASG cheering on Westham, and thanks for all of your positive new slogans for the league. You're a real asset.

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone piss in your lunch today, TorFC? I count 2 angry anti-MLS threads started and 1 hijack of another.

4. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    On the contrary.

I think supporting something while pointing out its flaws and expecting better is the absolute best way to support anything.

MLS is never going to dupe north American soccer fans into believing it is legitimate no matter how often bigsoccer posters cite incremental rises in attendance or point out 'signs of MLS in everyday life'.

I suppose youre the kind of person who thinks it is unpatriotic to queston leadership. That is morally and academically deplorable.

5. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I think you need a broader brush to paint with.

6. DC Fan in Chatt

DC Fan in Chatt New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha tfc fans like this joke are an embarrassment to thier fan base. You see thier fans denouncing clowns like this douche all the time. Get a life, just worry about making tfc a better team that plays on real grass. i hope the agros do play on your field

7. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Theres a reason the guys on World Soccer Daily get so irritated with MLS fans. The responses here are just some examples of them.

8. BigAdaMutt

BigAdaMutt New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    If its all so Mickey Mouse to you that's your opinion and that's ok.

So throw away your jersey and go back to the telly watching the BPL, la Liga, and Serie A. Stay out of the stadium and off the MLS boards.

You don't have to watch it or be involved in it if you don't like how it is done. Rally Canada to get their own pro league. Maybe they'll get it to what you consider "right".

9. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're absolutely right. But, calling the MLS a "Micky Mouse League" isnt pointing out flaws or expecting better. It is making a childish insult. Constructive Criticism is being supportive. Your comments are in no way constructive.

If the MLS is so Mickey Mouse then why do you follow it?

You may not be aware of this since your team has been playing for only a year and a half but this league has grown light years since its inception. The league has made significant progress.

You obviously are completely oblivious to business. The MLS is a business and businesses do not generally grow or progress very fast. It takes time to get things the way they need to be. The MLS is doing very well and while its not perfect, it is making good progress.

If you want to, "point out flaws and expect better" thats fine. But dont expect to make comments calling it a Mickey Mouse League and expect things to change. That's just plain dumb.

10. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with the league is the philosophy in which they run it . The salary cap is counter productive to growing the sport here. As long as guys are running off to the Swiss third division because the pay is better the sport will not grow. Do Steven and Kenny rip on MLS, of course they do because in a way the league deserves it. Has MLS made enormous strides since it was founded, absolutely but there is still along way to go. I have a problem with single entity as well as the bend over for LA philosophy that Don Garbage and the league have. I have a problem with the fact that as pointed out on WSD MLS players will get less money than MPL players will if they win the Superliga. That said I support the league and love the fact that I have my team back. But as supporters we need to make sure we keep the pressure on the owners and the league to continue to improve and not get complacent. Why is the Superliga not televised in English, Why is there even an All Star game, and why do we not have a single table yet. I get the feeling that in the same way Steven calls Arsenal fans Scientologist, it could well apply to MLS fans in some cases. Criticism is not contempt, face facts the league has a long way to go to become world class. It may well be shit, but its our shit so support it. :D

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was your comment in the other thread designed to do (the one from which I suppose your inspiration for this thread comes from)? Was it an attempt to look critically at the league and see where things might improve? Absolutely not. I'm wholly with Felixx219 on this one.

Every MLS fan I know is well aware of its flaws. And just like you showing up at one of my family reunions and telling us we're not particularly attractive will raise some shackles (even if we know it to be true), so to will comments such as the one you tossed out in frustration yesterday get you some well-deserved reactions.

12. hackattack2181

hackattack2181 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Memphis
    Shit, i couldnt have said it much better myself. I second yours, Stevens, and Kennys opinions, it is a mickey mouse league, and i will watch the BPL until the MLS gets it right. Ill never give them another dollar until they do, i want the best from my league and Im not getting it, so bye bye MLS.

13. BigAdaMutt

BigAdaMutt New Member

Feb 1, 2008
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool deal, I came to the same conclusion about the Bahraini league years ago and haven't been back since. Of course, I'm not all that welcome in the Bahraini forums when I pop in to to tell them they suck, either, but I understand that perspective, too!

15. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You expect them to improve but you arent willing to give them support? That is an oxymoron. First of all, the league is improving. You cant ask for it to be perfect in one season. If you think that is possible, try running a business sometime and you will see how impossible that is. All you can ask for is improvement and that is happening season after season.

If you truly want the league to improve, you would support it by watching games on TV, buying tickets, merchandise, etc. How do you expect it to improve without revenue? It won't. So boycotting the league or whatever it is you are doing is ridiculous and makes absolutely no sense unless your wish is for the league to fail.

16. hackattack2181

hackattack2181 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Memphis
    My bad, i thought the league was started in 1995 not 2007.

And i supported the MLS but people on here and how it continues to be run has made me give up hope for the league. I mean the teams are split up into two conferences which is retarded as it is but the fact that they play 16 intra conference games compared to 14 out of conference games makes no sense as to why 3 in each conference are protected for the playoffs. It should be put in as the "Galaxy rule" because we all know how awful the western conference is so the Galaxy are bound to get at least third, which is what MLS needs. Oh, did i mention that having playoffs are just as retarded as having an eastern conference team possibly winning the western conference championship? That doesnt make sense

17. BigAdaMutt

BigAdaMutt New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    '96. I thought you were were leaving. It's still not perfect so why did you come back?

18. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I think you got it backwards son.

Yes, the apologism is whiny and so on.

But there are, and have been, so many obstacles to the acceptance of soccer as a spectator sport in US (and Canada, to a lesser extent maybe). So what's wrong with soccer in America is the fatass sports establishment that doesn't understand it and proactively fights against it, and also the acceptance by the millions who play and watch soccer here, that that is just the way it is. It's not OK and it doesn't have to be that way. Personally I don't like some unathletic idiot in his barca lounger perpetuating the anti-soccer bias, so I say let's kill them all.

19. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13 years is young for a big business. Again, it is making progress every season and that is all anyone can ask for. Making changes in a multi-million dollar business cannot be done easily and their is structure and contracts in place that require time and money to make changes. Not to mention that changes have to be voted upon and approved.

You wont watch the league because it uses conferences? You are about as petty as a 16 year old high school girl. That's a ridiculous reason not to follow the league.

The MLS doesnt need to conform everything to the Euro format. The league needs its own identity.

20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really are a douchebag.

21. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    I'm reminded of that South Park when they go to Canada to find Ike and find the anti-American character raving expletives and everyone apologizes to Kyle "oh that's Scott... HE'S A DICK!"

There's always one of you somewhere in Canada, I can count on that. You could always have the Toronto Lynx back if you don't like the MLS and its quality of players.

22. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Actually I think the league system is well worth raising hell over. What, are we playing throwball or soccer/football? All this "Euro" vs. "Americanization" stuff is tired, overdone, and bs. It's not "euro" to prefer a single table... I can't think of another league that doesn't and the only thing I watch in Euro is Champions League (AHA! Avast! A League with no "table" at all :rolleyes:)
    Playoffs too.

It was fine to start off with, but at this point it's just a joke. We have to name our clubs stupid euro take-offs like RSL and Houston Dynamo and Seattle FC/Republic (thank god those didn't go through) ... but we have to have a playoff and retarded conferences? If you ask me, we took all the wrong things from outside the US and left out all the right things.

23. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Is it not obvious? Because it is my city's representative in my domestic top-flight league. I will follow MLS so long as my city has a representative in it. Its just that simple.

I dont know why my criticism needs to be so constructive. I know MLS is just 13 or 14 years old, but does that mean we need to treat it like a child? Is MLS going to run off and cry if I call it a name? Evidently it will.

There is so much instruction around here as to how to support MLS. Cant I support it my way?

Is being a season ticket holder, watching the games on TV, buying the merch and pushing the league with peers not enough for MLS fans? On top of all my money im also not allowed to be critical of the league?

This 'you cant say anything bad about MLS because its growing and youre only hurting it by saying these things' attitude is embarassing to the league as far as im concerned.

24. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm not certain that it'd run off and cry, but you can be certain it'd sulk and pout and throw a temper tantrum before storming off to it's proverbial room.

25. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My criticisms of the Abu Dabu League are well documented; they have had 300 years to get it right and continue to put out a shite product time and time again.
    And their ritual of holding executions on the field at halftime of the all-star game I'll NEVER understand!!!!