I fought Matt Law and Matt Law won. Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jun 9, 2020.

1. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Emerson. Barkley. Maybe RLC? A lot of the loan group. Danny drinks the kool aid. AND I guess the players that don't play much for the rest of this season. Maybe players who might want to move on like Kante maybe?
    Tuchel probably has a few players he wants to bring in and overall would want to manage a slightly smaller group next season.

2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    She doesn't seem to be wanting any of it. Good for her. She's clearly well paid (and respected) and has the chance to be a legend akin to sir Alex for the women's game.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55906557

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of players on loan could go. We need to clean out our CB pool. Silva, Rudiger, Zouma, AC, Fik (option to buy) and Sarr is a lot. Emerson. That new lease could just be to sell and get an improved model. We will see how the year goes.

4. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tuchel's tactics will inform this as well. If we stick with 3 at the back as the preferred set up, then having 5 CBs becomes reasonable. Though if Azpi continues to play/perform, someone will have to make way there.

5. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Azpi as one of the 3 CBs makes sense. He (as was Ivanovic) came here as CBs. Az can't be expected to be making runs up and down the chalk. We have players to do that.

6. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Can you have too many Centre Backs?

Thomas Tuchel has made RB Leipzig's France defender Dayot Upamecano, 22, and Bayern Munich's Germany centre-back Niklas Sule, 25, his top defensive targets in the summer.
    https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/...ll-suele-flick-findets-gut-75201526.bild.html
    Niklas Sule is under contract until next year and Bayern manager Hansi Flick says it is up to the defender to decide "where he sees his future"

7. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think yes. 12 for instance would be too many :D

This is an area to make sure is as strong as possible though and if a 3 CB formation is the new normal we would need 5 good centre backs.

When we were winning our titles with a back 4 we had 4 CBs and one of those got far fewer games (Bobby, spotting Billy, Terry and Percy).

It's getting that balance right between depth but also familiarity. Too many changes game to game and you limit the understanding between players which leads to problems.

Whilst we do have that many CBs (counting Dave as he is being used there), are they the right 5?
    • Silva (excellent and seemingly ageless but still up there in years. If he declines it will likely be sudden)
    • Rudiger (likely will be a core part of Tuchel's plans)
    • Zouma (featured under Frank, improved with Silva but not a player I think we win titles with as a top 3 CB)
    • AC (kills me that he isn't better, had such hopes for him but expect him to be gone)
    • Dave (the current 3rd man)
    • Fik (listing him as a non-present 6th and hopeful he will have a great loan and the option to buy requires two party consent which we refuse)

Assuming AC/Zouma goes and Fik doesn't come back that's a minimum of 2 players we need to bring in. And one of those needs to be a) a big bastard and b) 50m quid. If Zouma stays maybe it is just 1 we bring in but think we can strengthen.

We will need 4 top 'starter quality' CBs for the 3 spots and another player to spot minutes. We currently shape up to have 3 (inc dave but expect him and/or silva to drop off). Whatever other business we conduct this is a key area. I don't think we want to carry 6 CBs as the next man may switch back to a 4 (if Tuchel hasn't already done so) and that really will be overstuffed.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t forget about Sarr and lesser extent Guéhi

9. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Top line starters next season for a team vying for the title?

10. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    More on the rush to sign Haaland.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55924593

11. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As for CBs, we haven't really bought a top tier CB in a while, sans Silva (though while only a loan, there is plenty of money involved with salaries and agents' fees)

Zouma joined in 2014
    Rudiger in 2017

I'm not sure I'd consider either a top tier CB. Nor would I consider Christensen to be anywhere near a top CB. The club clearly has shown what they think of Tomori.

12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarr could be. He was damn impressive against City and has a bunch of first team experience in France and now Portugal. I wouldn’t see a reason he couldn’t be n3.

Yahtzee repped this.
  13. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Encouraging. I haven't seen much of him and would save us money if he makes the grade.

14. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  15. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  16. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Great as he was, I think that resigning him would be a backwards step. Real just trying to cut their losses

Blueallthru repped this.
  17. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Oh I agree, even taking him back on a loan might have problems. Look at Bale at Tottenham. Although that could be of Jose's making.

18. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Aston Villa want Barkley on a permanent deal. A good fit for him imho. Not a terrible squad players for us, but we need something better.

19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should absolutely sell him to them. Question is how much can we get. I’d hope for 40 but take 30.

20. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much did we sign Barkley for originally? I'd think 30 is a good price.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If memory serves we got him cheap cause he was coming off an injury and had 12 months left on his contract. 15ish I believe.

I’m sure they start with 25 and we start with 35 and then meet in the middle. Should be nice tidy business for us as usual.

Dtrip77 repped this.
  22. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thiago looking to extend another year and let us be honest here, we really like him.

We are also interested in David Alaba - whose contract at Bayern Munich expires in the summer - if the Austria left-back, 28, lowers his £400,000-per-week wage demands. He is on a FREE, so his wage demands are going to be on the high side, but 400k a week is ambitious. Apparently we are front runners to get him now.

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard pass at that price. We don’t want to break our fee structure even if we don’t have to pay a fee for him. It can and will cause unrest in the lockerroom.

24. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Alaba really out here asking for Cristiano Ronaldo money? Luls

25. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something happened once the player surpasses the 300k salary. Motivation is effected.