I find it completely stupifying that MLS schedules games up against the USMNT

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by TorFC-TML, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Ignore FIFA dates all you like MLS, but to trying to 'compete' for soccer fans with the United States national mens team is the most insane, self-trivializing decision that Major League Soccer ever makes.

Major League Soccer is supposed to be a development league for the USMNT, so why are they competing for fans with it? Which is exactly what MLS is doing by scheduling these games against the USMNT. MLS is implicitly forcing soccer fans in the US to choose between their club and their country, and given the relative lack of history behind MLS I think its only logical (and reasonable) that the majority of fans choose the USMNT over their MLS allegiances.

The mens senior team is supposed to be the pinnacle of soccer for Americans (or any country for that matter) and soccer fans attention is always focused on them whenever they have the chance.

Why does MLS insist on existing in isolation not only from the rest of FIFA, but evidently in isolation from its own federation.

Does MLS not stand to only gain by scheduling around USMNT games? USMNT games are the 'all-star' games that North American fans (apparently) demand in their sports leagues.

IMO both MLS and the USMNT could only benefit from avoiding scheduling conflicts. MLS should be pushing upcoming USMNT games. If the feeling at MLS head office is 'we dont want to overshadow our product by pushing the CONCACAF WCQ matches' well then I dont know what to say because if that is the case then MLS clearly hasnt yet grasped the concept of exploiting the global nature of the game. Theyre too wrapped up in their north american, single entity, franchise model to see the benefits of admitting there are more important games than MLS games.

2. UpTheMetro

UpTheMetro Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York
    I suggest MLS plays more games on Tuesday afternoons to avoid having to play on Saturdays. Or maybe if we ask really nicely we can get NFL teams to play in local high school stadiums for a game. Even better, we can form our own television network so we can show games whenever we want.

3. DC Fan in Chatt

DC Fan in Chatt New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not only has there been 10 threads addressing this, the big man garber did too. Just have to wait till next year if garber finds a way to fix this problem

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it completely stupifying that somebody decided to start yet another thread about this subject.

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS is supposed to be a developmental league for the USMNT, then the league is simply developing the players of the future on these conflict dates.

6. FC Dizzle

FC Dizzle Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    i second this

7. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    What kind of an idiot would equate developing players for the USMNT with attracting fans?

Based on your statement alone, it makes sense for MLS to schedule games when the USMNT plays so the teams in MLS could play some second tier USMNT players and get them some starting minutes.