I Cant Believe It!! I Did Not Make The Team At Tryouts!!

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Bambu, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Bambu

Bambu New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Im in totally shock, i tried out for the USL team Miami FC.
    like 100 players showed up to the tryout this past sat.
    Now i played soccer as a forward in spain all my life im 22 now i came to the states 3 yrs ago, i won maximum scorer award in nearly every yr i played and mvp of the league in 3 occasions.

to be honest with yall at first i was kinda shaky, by the second game i was starting to get the touch and a feel of my teammates score 1 goal .

Then on the one on one face offs i tried to get too fancy and ended up loosing the ball in both occasions, i wanted to do every move at once and couldnt think quick enough.

on the 2 vs 2 face offs i was wide open against the keeper i shook him badly but he grabbed my left foot as i left him behind and ended up face down on the wet dirty grass , the coach "Rhino" asked me if i was ok, i can tell he was interested and saw that i had very good moves.

By the scrimmage i had a chance where i dived for a header right in front of the penalty spot but i failed to aim it to one side and the keeper saved it, i still hear the "OOhhs" in the crowd at the way i headed the ball, after that i looked over and one of the coaches was writing down my number(i believe)at that point it seemed to me that was coming back for the final tryouts, by the look on his face i could tell he was very interested in me during the whole tryout.

I was the one making all the scoring opportunities but failed to finish.

At the end i thought that i was gonna make the final tryouts but for my surprise my number/name was not selected.

To be honest with yall i was overconfident thinking that cause i have very good skills and ronaldinho type dribbles i was gonna easily make it, yet i found myself out of breath towards the end of the tryouts.

I could tell that all eyes were on me by the crowd and coaches, everytime i had the ball the crowd automatically whispered anticipating what move ima do next.

Im very shock at at least not making the final tryouts, but trust me, i will make it next year and i will kick off my career as a Pro soccer player in the states.

My goal is to play for miami fc, and be the best player in the team i know i can easily score over 15 goals a season, hopefully some scout will be interested in me and move up to the MLS or play overseas where i use to play.

Still im shocked !

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your talent for self-delusion has rarely been equaled on these boards.

3. Bambu

Bambu New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    huh??
    There is no need for me to lie about nothing im honestly letting everybody know what ive accomplish and what im capable off.

4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    you and I have much in common. I too am capable of failing to land a contract with a USL team.

5. Bambu

Bambu New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    ok you right

6. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Did you have to pay for the tryout? Was it over multiple days, or was it a single day "event" ? Did someone on the coaching staff or the team's management specifically ask you to come to the tryout? Do you have a cousin or an uncle on the coaching staff?

You went to one tryout, didn't make the team and you freely admit you made some mistakes. Its a situation that's happened to many of the greatest talents in the world. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get on with improving your game for your next big chance.

More than likely, the coaching staff had a very specific need, maybe a 6'4" centerback, excellent header of the ball, fearless, etc. and you just didn't fit their suit, this time.

I'm curious, was there a conditioning test, and if so did you finish in the top 5, 10, 20?

Good luck and I hope this advice helps. But remember what you paid for it!

7. Bambu

Bambu New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    The tryouts were $50 , there were over the course of 4 days in two weekends, you could only register for one i went to the second weekend on the sat. i do not have any relatives in the coaching staff.
    There was no conditioning test i was hoping for one cause i was ready.

Im a 6'3" forward, but i failed to finish i really dont know what happened to me i was more concern about making the crowd go "Ohh" (which i did) rather than to score goals which is what i do best along with dribbling. i could tell the 2 of the coaches were really into me, but thats only 2 out of 6 coaches.

As far as heading i score like 5 times when we were practicing corners and crosses , thats like one of my strong points behind dribbling and scoring, but there was no coach watching us practice corners and crosses...

Im training all yr long until next years tryouts, that only created a beast out of me.

8. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    It sounds like you have enough quality but you need to lose a little bit of arrogance (no offense) and be more of a team player, and remember as a forward your job is to score goals, doesn't matter if they are ugly or beautiful as long as the ball is in the back of the net and that is what a coach is looking for in a forward, it sounds like you are taking a good approach to not making the team though, and from the sounds of it you might be better for it in the long run, I wish you good luck.

9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There aren't too many people in the world who can show up at an open tryout for a professional team, and be surprised not to make the cut. Pro clubs that hold open tryouts generally expect to find, on average, one player capable of earning a contract every 3-5 years, and even then, most of those players aren't starter quality.

10. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wouldn't care if i started i'd take a 5 year contract at 25 thousand a year no joke hahah i got opens 24th in colorado i hope i do well comeing back from a bad case of bunion for a year i feel fine and grass is like carpet to me haha

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So is this the opening script for Goal! XVII - Return to America!?

12. Bambu

Bambu New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    You are absolutely right, thats why im not one of those many people in the world, im not your average soccer player. Im surprise for a reason not just cause i think that i should had made it cause i wanna play pro but cause i really know what im capable of doing. I can easily score over 20 goals a season, easily, no exageration, but trust me if you had ran a poll thru the crowd as to who should had made the cut, my name would of been in the top 3 no doubt.

Two coaches wanted me you could really tell .

Plus im not your average player, i know i would had made the team if i didnt show off as much and put the ball in the back of the net instead of worrying about giving the crowd a show, i forgat that at the end of the day it was a tryout and not an all star skills game.

Trust me im making it next year, im already in the gym, and i drooped all my bad eating habits along with the alcohol and sodas.

Im already conditioning for next years tryout and im not stopping.

Im planning in joining a FESL team here in florida just to stay playing organize ball and to keep the games rythim.

Im going to make history believe me, if i did in Spain i can do it here.

13. jamesl

jamesl Red Card

Jul 16, 2007
    ROTFLMAO! Excellent! :D

14. jamesl

jamesl Red Card

Jul 16, 2007
    Do the right thing, play in the highest level you can get game, prove yourself and bother them non-stop with video, coaches recommendations and face to face. See if you can practice with them, or train. Is there a PDL team close by? If you're good enough you'll get a chance sooner rather than later. Best of luck!

15. Bambu

Bambu New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    im in miami im trying to find an organize club to play for but the fesl seems to be in its offseason now, if anybody knows any organize soccer clubs around the miami area feel free to let me know

16. NYCONEONTA

NYCONEONTA New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    New York
    this is the most arrogant waste of space on big soccer. i never knew anyone that was as cocky as you and let everyone on this board know. there over 100 USL teams so if you are that good someone will notice you.

17. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    LOl 15 goals for Miami? boy havent you realises they are in the bottom of the USL 1, other than Romario they havent had a player that scored more than 10 goals I would say

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    And your wondering why you didn't make it. :eek:

How do you know what the coaches were doing/thinking. Maybe he was writing "Ball hog" "Show off" "Do not keep" :confused:

Maybe they were saying "Let's watch this Ronaldo wanna be fall on his face again."

Those two don't really match up well. Are you sure you were ready?

You couldn't possibly know any of this - it was all in your head.

This is probably much closer to reality.

Really, what's your name? - I'd like to read about that history.

Wouldn't a history-making 20 goal scorer from Spain be playing in Spain and not trying out for a USL team?

19. naruto16

naruto16 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    probably wasn't good enough for it? lol

anyway it sounds like the OP was showing off too much. Just score, who cares if its ugly or nice, fancy dribbles don't count as goals.
    A team player is what every team needs, not a ball hog or show off.
    :)

20. Bambu

Bambu New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    honestly in spain 20 goals its normal from an average good forward, i dont know why yall think its a lot, the maximum scorer in pro leagues in spain normally score over 30 a season, its not history making at all.

21. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    yall?

no way you're from Spain, sock :D

but just in case you are, keep at it. don't mind these naysayers.

22. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must suck pretty bad.

Kidding of course.

23. golazo mvfc

golazo mvfc New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Melbourne.
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This is a good attitude to have, i wish you the best of luck.

24. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    What a blow hard.

I manage a men's soccer club in New Jersey and I got guys talkin like this fool coming to tryout for my team all the time.

At first, I'd give them a shot....but after watching cocky player after cocky player get his ass handed to him, I don't let fools just try out with my players no more.

And over the past 5 years I've been running this squad, my best players have always been the guys with the most low key personalities.

I've had guys who grew up in academies like Man U, PSG, Newcastle, Aston Villa, West Ham, and even some that have been on the old MetroStars Reserve teams....they were all very low key, kept their mouth shut, and let their play talk for them....

So maybe this is what you should do. Stop hyping yourself up in your mind. Shut up, and let your play talk for you....

Stop telling yourself you're so good. You're nothing until you're playing pro. It don't matter how many silly tricks you can do, you're absolutely NOTHING until you get to where you wanna be....that's the attitude you have to take...not "I'm so good, I cant believe they didnt roll out the red carpet for me"

25. joethunder

joethunder New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    This guy is a cocky player and he deserves to not make the team. I get so sick of players who walk on and think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Whenever I play, I downplay EVERYTHING I do and try to give as much credit to my teammates. You are only as good as the other 10 people on the field with you.

I coach youth soccer and there is a kid who manages to get on my team every few seasons, and his attitude is worse than the time before I have him. He's probably the best player in the league, but he complains about EVERY call that doesn't go his way, doesn't use his teammates, and doesn't listen to coaching, obviously. He then wonders why he doesn't score more than 6 goals in a season where kids who have half his talent score 18 (my goal total in my final season playing in this league several years ago). There is NOTHING worse than playing with a ball hog and poor team member. I'll take a team full of terrible players over a team with 10 terrible starters and one "god's gift" who acts like it. No thanks.