I am embarrassed.[R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Aug 29, 2007.

1. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Re: I am embarrassed.

hummm.
    How about the Captain?

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that too, but it also has to be on the coach.

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It's odd though isn't it. Jimmy says in the quote sheet how the right things are being said beforehand and in the huddle. Yet somewhere between the huddle and the first whistle something breaks down.

Is it coaching, is it the captain, is it the personnel on the field?

Probably all 3. But they need to start defending like their lives are at stake and getting their chins off the floor if they do lose an early goal.

4. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At the beginning of this season, I would have had all the confidence that they would come back and at least tie the score, but last night felt more like last season.....early deficit = UH-OH.

5. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As someone else said, we are heading into what may very well be our 3rd straight fizzle out of the playoff race with our third coach. Maybe that isnt the issue. If we cant get our shit together to squeeze into the playoffs and compete in the playoffs maybe it is time to rebuild this team. Keep the very core and work with that to get a team that will be competing for the title around the time our shiny new SSS opens.

6. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This team reminds me of the 2004 team. When they show up, they're possibly the most dangerous team in the league. But they don't always seem to want to show up, and you get what happened last night. And just like in 2004, if we do advance into the postseason, I'm petrified that last night's team will show up instead of the team that thumped New England and sat atop the league earlier in the season. How I wish it were 2000 again!

7. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it is the players...coaching can do so much on the sidelines...it comes down to the players on hte field...either they are there or they are not! The captain does need to rally the team on the field as the coach does before the game and during half...but like i said, really it is the players who decide to play or not! Its a shame we are FOURTH when we should be at least second!

8. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As many people have said, this type of thread is a part of supporting a team...though it may not seem like it...I don't think that any one is turning their backs on the team...but ask any Chiefs fan around mid-December...it's all a part of bleeding the colors of your team...

...even though my living room floor is all covered in blue right now :eek:

9. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont thik this thread is "not" supporting our team but rather just saying what needs to be said. we all still bleed the same color "blue"! no matter what i think we all will back them 100% in the good and the bad!! i dont think anyus would back down or hide in discussion good or bad in regards to the wiz!

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Using Chiefs fans is a bad example, they are some of the most fair weather fans in sports. Although, I know some people on here will argue that.

11. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    This thread would be a great clinic on the 5 stages of grief.

Anyway, 2000 was a pretty boring year, right up until the playoffs. The aftermath was leveraged by owners almost completely for the gain of the Chiefs. Today at least, KC is entertaining. If you are a neutral with the PPV package, KC is the one game you DDR every single week...KC and maybe NE.

KC is not unlike a hot striper. You pay through the nose to get a little hint of what you really want, and then nothing but an endless string of dissappointment and unmet expectation. Expectation you were silly to have in the first place.

Unlike some, I'm not embarassed by this thread. I'm embarassed by the Kansas City Wizards organization.

From on field, to attendance, to security at games, to a host of other things; there is little of which to be proud.

I went to the grocery store late last night wearing my Wizards' hat. I actually got a comment from a guy who knew they lost and tried to be a little empathic. I was very unhappy right up until that point. Then when someone is giving me sympathy I realized I don't want that. That itself is embarassing.

What are my options? A) Love blue and vent when necessary or B) Be a turncoast worthless dc piece of garbage cheering on the black and white.

As B or anything like it isn't going to happen, we have to vent. Any player reading this will have a better idea of how they are perceived. Best case is that perception would turn to motivation on some level. At the very least for us everthing gets a little easier when you have some company and talk about it.

Saturday maybe things change.

Today, it looks like KC is sinking into oblivion: The defense in non-existant, the goalkeeping is suspect, the offense is spotty, the coaching staff is borderline delusional - although I like all of them to a man - definitely in denial, and clinging to faint hope without seemingly a viable plan. Whatever creates the outpouring of expectation on the practice field is often wholly vacant for long stretches on gameday.

It seems like the team expects bad things to happen and plays accordingly. As for Mr. Vermes, his decisions on player personel look flawed at best and definitely a cut below many other MLS teams. No stadium and no plan. Next year in a temporary hole somewhere. Attendance and the money that comes with it will not be there until an as-yet-unplanned stadium is built. Add to it the inevitable backlash of Beckham being hurt and possibly out for his game here. All of that creates a negative vaccuum to the other MLS teams that is all-but-impossible to overcome. Even a new stadium makes us what, Colorado?

Yeah, it hurts a little. It's worse when you are on a team like that, but at least then you can fight.

Let's hope KC remembers how to fight in Houston.

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Those are your options? Really?

Just those two?

Put down the crack pipe. Empty the kool-aid down the drain. And take a reality check just for a second.

I am not even sure what option B means. "Turncoast"? You mean turncoat right? What has DC got to do with this? Sure I know you hate them and all things black, but how is being "a turncoat dc piece of garbage" an option for a Wizards fan in these dire times?

So, what are the real options.

a. Vent. Sure vent away. I am. I have vented on here, I bitched to a co-worker some. Exchanged an email with some friends here and there. That's cool. Nothing wrong with venting.

b. Burn your scarf, tear up your season ticket, give up on the team. That's your option B isn't it? Being a turncoat? I dunno what it has to do with DC. But you have a personal vendetta with them so go for it.

c. Not accepting such poor results. Demanding change. Protesting. Calling for the coaches head, new personnel. Sure -- good luck with that. Ain't gonna happen. If the team doesn't make the playoffs sure. But during the season? I don't think so.

d. Screaming your bloody head off for 90 minutes and imploring the team you love so much to score and win.

e. Finding a lot of medication, a noose or a gun. ;)

I am sure there are other options too ... :rolleyes:

13. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    You read a litle too much into it, but yeah, the point is KC is my team so I, like many others, am stuck...and I'm embarassed also.

For the record, I wouldn't ever burn my scarf, jersey, or flag - although my flag is the only thing on that list to go unstolen; smoking anything outside of a grill isn't for me - not that there is anything wrong with that; and as for "medication", that's sort of why I went to the store. I bought some ice cream. That seemed a more reasonsble solution.

14. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    [​IMG]

After the first 45 seconds I felt like vomitting too

15. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are u kidding me???

I love it when thread like this comes around. There are one or two people who turn this into a " You really don't support your team" or "Turn you back on the team thread". It is nothing like that. It is called venting and therepy in some way. Beside it is the fricking internet, not gameday. In the end, the people embarrased (including myself) will still be there on matchday supporting the team like we always do. geeesh!

16. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yet at the game itself not everyone is supporting the team, some are criticizing the team at home during the run of play. You can deny that this is happening if you want. But it's there and has been for a number of seasons.

Are u kidding me right back 'atcha ....

17. JROWE

JROWE Member

May 29, 2007
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's not a lack of support by fans and just a critique. Isn't it our right as fans to be critical of our team and expect more? This should be true if you're in the stands "during the run of play" or at home yelling at your TV. Hell, I'd argue that it's more important that the team KNOWS we're disappointed. maybe it will give them something to play for, because right now it seems they need something.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it's more important for us to be there supporting the team. As an example I give you the Jose situation from a season or two ago, where he screwed up to give Columbus a goal, and the Cauldron let him have it. It took us pretty much the rest of the season to get the team back on our side. As after that event every single player gave us the cold shoulder for quite a while. As with the whole "Cauldron why are you here" thread from a while back, we're there to support the team, to cheer them on.

If you don't think the team knows we're disappointed, then you're rather dense, I'm sure they know we're disappointed, in fact I'm sure there are a few that lurk on here, occasionally and have read this thread.

19. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are the supporters, not ordinary fans. While we can be dissapointed at the Wizards current form, we need to show all the support we can muster come gameday.

PS - Maybe I should re-rotate my avatar and practice what I preach.

20. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks
    Eloy kicks ass......that was a positive, we pretty much controlled the second half.....positive...... EJ's strike was incredible.....positive....

"Always look on the bright side of life....( whistles ) Lifes a piece of ......."

well, you know the rest.

Im loving watching Eloy and Marinelli together.....seriously, they looked like they played together before.

Matthias

21. JROWE

JROWE Member

May 29, 2007
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think supporting the team by cheering throughout the game, etc. is of course important for anyone who truly supports the Wizards, but when bad things happen on the field, how else can you show that frustration but by being vocal? Just sit there and be quiet? I don't think you ever want to belittle a player, so I don't think the Burciaga situation applies here. My comments are more based on the team performance, not individual performances. I liken this to being a Royals fan, I love the Royals but they still disappoint me, obviously on a regular basis. I just think it's a bit odd that people question other people's interest in the Wizards just because they say they are embarrassed and may or may not vocalize it at games.

Sure I know, that they know that we're disappointed, the problem is I think that they would at least try for us as a result. When hustle is coming from 3 or 4 guys on the field I don't consider that "trying" in a team sense. Thus fostering my disappointment. Guess that make me dense...

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can be vocal but you don't have to be negative. You do exactly what the Argentine's do when we're scored on, you sing louder to support the team to show you are still behind the team.

I also think it's bull shit to think they'd play harder for us if we showed more negativity during the game when they play bad. Players know when they're playing bad, being negative towards the team isn't gonna lift them up.

23. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    Okay, now to play devil's advocate...

How about lifting me up? I'm there when it's gawd-awful hot, there are 3k people in the stadium sweating like hogs and most of my friends wonder why I bother. Give me a reason to want to be there other than blind loyalty to the shield. Make me want to cheer for you.

Work harder than the other team. Run faster than the other players. Shoot straight. Don't get lazy on defense and get a lousy yellow card.

And if you can't or won't do that...dont' get pissy when we call you out.

24. JROWE

JROWE Member

May 29, 2007
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being vocal when you are that frustrated might come across as negative sometimes, if we're not playing well why not say something? This doesn't mean insult the players' mothers or anything disrespectful. Think of the all those Royals games where people are frustrated with the play, and some start booing, does this make them less of a Royals fan? I think this proves that people care about the product on the field. I think you're too far on the wrong end of the spectrum when you're discussing this "negativity".

I also think it's bull shit to think they'd play harder if we were more negative. (good call!:rolleyes:) My argument is simply if they know that we're disappointed as you say (even without us saying anything at games, because they "lurk here".) I would expect to see a little more hustle on the field. Earlier you called me "dense" because you said they knew we were disappointed, so that's not enough to get a reaction from them? No "Our fans support us so I can show my appreciation by playing hard"? I care about them because they are my team, can they return that favor? It's not pure W's and L's here, I just want them to play up to the potential I know they can. Ultimately, this isn't youth soccer, there are no "participation" trophies, they are professionals. If fans are embarrassed and they vocalize this frustration then so be it. So, saying "What the hell was that!" on a bad clearance, etc. shouldn't be too painful. Especially if you spent the previous moments screaming for the team. If you think that makes me less of a fan than you, then fine I concede that... As a fan though I have a right to be frustrated, no matter where or how said frustration takes place.

25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm on the devil's side here. very well said. i want to requote a part because it needs to be said again:
    somewhere in between the passion and the pride, the notion of being a "supporter" has become increasingly blind and skewed. this isn't a "club" in the real sense of the word as it pertains to the history of this sport. it's not like they represent a specific neighborhood where civic pride floats on their wake. it's not like they represent a religious sect or have a political affiliation with which the "supporters" can identify. it's a team, a franchise.

in fact, maybe i should request that my username be changed, lest i be judged a hypocrite. i definitely don't view my fandom and this sport through the same lens that i did when i first joined bigsoccer. i don't really think it's a better or worse view, just a bit more technically sound.

and really, the thought that anyone on here would be embarrassed by the critical expressions of the team's most ardent fans is delusional. it would be embarrassing to NOT hear any outrage when the results continue to elude us.