Hypothetical GK WC Question

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SgtSchultz, Nov 1, 2005.

1. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Okay.....Let's say Keller gets injured and is unable to play in the World Cup. Does Bruce Arena call up Friedel?

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I would guess yes.Can't "call him up" since he is retired.But would ask him if he wants to come on as #1.

3. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point it would be best to just give it to Timmy.

4. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Is Timmy ready? I would feel much better having an established pro between the pipes.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I have to believe that Friedel would come back. But dont jinx it please. :)

6. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it never comes true but it's a great question. Suppose Big Brad declines, then what? At the very least who do you bring in? I bet Arena would tap Tony...

7. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on his stellar performances against Costa Rica and Poland in 2 of his last three appearances for the USMNT? I think not.

While Timmy remains the chosen future of USMNT goalkeeping, Friedel would certainly get the call if, god forbid, KK were to be injured. If Brad elected to remain retired, the competition between Marcus and Tim would be fierce and I would not be surprised to see Tim end up on the short side of that stick, on current form.

8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think he would offer it to Friedel i think it would be up for grabs between Howard and Marcus

9. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should stop thinking. It's better for the rest of us.

10. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicky Rimando is ready!

11. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that Tony Meola would proudly answer the call.

12. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    good post,,,,im 50/50 on howard or friedel

13. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    I expect Friedel to come out of retirement and be in Germany whether Keller gets injured or not. Bruce will make the call because he'll sleep much better knowing that Friedel can step in if something happened to Keller, rather then Howard who's not playing, and Hahnemann who according to Bruce is significantly less worthy than Keller.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Has Fifa decided how many keepers you have to bring this time around? Maybe it would be MadBrad, Timmay and FatTony (can you imagine that? Yikes.) Or Marcus would cap all their asses and take the #1. I bet Keller's the only guy MH truly fears, even with his piece.

15. rojojova

rojojova Member

Mar 7, 2001
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce would offer it to Friedel. I'd bet money.

16. Kernel KlinK

Kernel KlinK New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel hands down. Although I'm afraid that would still be a drop off in skill - - KK has been absolutely awesome of late.

17. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What convinces you guys Friedel would come out of retirement? I've no doubt that Arena would make the attempt.

I don't really want to consider this question, to be honest. Let's pretend this can't happen.

18. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    You can bet your bottom dollar da' Bruce would be on the phone with Big Bad Brad the millisecond KK went down (God forbid). And Brad would be stupid not to say yes.

If KK is healthy going into Germany '06, I do not expect da' Bruce to call Brad. He'll take KK, Timmy, and someone else.

19. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he be stupid to not say yes? That is a really rediculous opinion and it doesn't take into consideration all of the factors I assume BF considered when he made his initial decision in the first place.

I think he'd definately consider it, and there might be a good chance he'd say yes. But would he be "stupid" to say no? Hmm...

20. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    First I assume Brad would come out of retirement and take the job if Keller went down BEFORE the World Cup.
    Now if the team is already at the World Cup, and Keller goes down...
    On currnet form.... no doubt in my mind.... Marcus Hahnemann easily.

First he's playing
    Second, he's playing VERY well

I know people love Timmy (I'm a big fan too) but at the moment I believe Marcus would be the better choice.

21. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one can know his thought process, but I'm sure Brad considered a lot of things when retiring from the National Team. Time away from family, additional travel, fatigue, and not being guaranteed the starting spot. Getting an invite to the Cup without having to participate in qualifying and being the guaranteed #1 would be tough for anyone to turn down.

22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not stir up any bad karma here. Nonetheless, I'd fully expect Brad to come out of retirement. First, his ego is about the size of Wisconsin, and he'd love the rush of being the savior. Second, coming out of retirement just for the WC doesn't conflict with the reasons he gave for retiring-- (1) focus on club and (2) too much trans-Atlantic travel. He might have to travel for a handful of US friendlies, but many will be in Europe late in the season (when, sadly, it appears that Blackburn will not be playing for anything meaningful but, happliy, they should not be in relegation danger).

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I personally don't think Brad comes out of retirement.

The three for WC06:

Keller
    Hahnemann
    Howard

If one of those guys is injured we call in either Cannon or Reis.

24. csctn

csctn Member

Aug 10, 2004
    TN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, if KK goes down injured before final rosters are submitted, I would bet that house that BA calls Brad and Brad gladly shows up in Germany as the #1 keeper.

25. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can get Jeff Causey out of retirement.

Also, I am available.