Hurtin all the sudden

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by murphyskicks, Jul 5, 2009.

1. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What a difference 10 days makes.

A tie to a surging Dallas team and two horrible losses have us tied with LA and looking far from good.
    The call ups of players to the National team seem to have everyone out of sync. Granted, I knew it was going to be REAL hard to lose 4 of our best players at various points in time, but ouch. I was floored at how poorly Casey played last night. I was floored at how one dimensional (didn't use the left side of the field at all) our attack was without Clark.

I think we need 6-7 points in the next three games to be taken seriously for the rest of the season. Time to step up boys.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pray this isn't the start of the annual summer 10 win-less streak.

3. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    After the RSL game I wrote this:
    The Rapids were 4-2-5 after the RSL game, getting an average 1.55 points a game, with most of them on the road, a very respectable showing. The first four of the next crucial eleven have the Rapids going 1-2-1 and averaging just 1 point a game, three of those games at home.

I've pointed out my concern that the Rapids record may have been inflated by many fortuitous circumstances, including getting results against teams short handed. The Rapids are now facing adversity with several key players out.

What's happening I'm afraid is the table is leveling and the results will reflect more accurately where the Rapids fit in the MLS standings.

4. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes & Yes!

The Rapids reflect the image of their boss. Gary Smith cannot handle the egos of very good players with creative skills and creative personalities. Is it surprising that bench-sitter C. Gomez is enjoying a renaissance in DC? Smith has crafted a team composed mainly of mediocre players who follow direction, are fit and "play hard", only a few play technically.

Pathetically, Peterson was rewarded with a goal for all of his energetic but senseless running further seeming to reinforce Smith's “system”. But the Rapids lost!!! It seems that the Rapids may be heading in a downward spiral. How far is the bottom?

The subterfuge has been fully exposed. The Emperor may need a new set of clothing?

5. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What are you basing this on exactly? Smith was only the interm coach for 11 games last season. I hardly think that in less than one season he has either proven or disproven his ability to do anything.

6. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand what people on here expect of Gary Smith.

The guy hasn't even coached a full season worth of matches and people are expecting a team that has been god-awful for the last few years to suddenly turn around and jump headlong into the Supporters Shield race. This isn't 1998. The league is much more competitive and you can't have that kind of switch in such a short amount of time.

7. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I expected some moves to shore up the offense. Perhaps a third forward who could actually contribute. Or how about some additional offensive help in the midfield?

Someone, anyone, who the Rapids could rely on to both fill in (multiple people, thank you) and contribute off the bench. I'm not looking for MLS All Stars sitting on the bench*, but the Rapids have zip, zilch, nada.

Okay, that's hyperbole, they have bodies.

*yeah, I know, they had one of those last year, but he stayed on the bench, I'm looking for someone the coach is willing to play.

8. Ace7

Ace7 Member

May 1, 2006
    What do you make of Seattle this year?

So any credit Smith's been given thus far, and there's been plenty, is off base because...he hasn't proven anything? Does he only prove anything in victory?

9. FutbolCrazy

FutbolCrazy BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 5, 2002
    Colorado
    Frankly, Smith is showing he can't cut it in the MLS. Just because you have a British accent does not mean you will succeed as a soccer coach. No playoffs for the Rapids, again.

10. Home n dry

Home n dry New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Rapids are indeed "hurtin", though I won't speculate whether they are in a "downward spiral", or on the cusp of a 10-game winless streak. They clearly lack depth, and call-ups have hurt them. There seem to be more of those this year than last, a good sign, actually. Whether the lack of depth can be laid entirely at Gary Smith's feet is highly debatable, with Bravo now on board, and Plush (the money man) sharing responsibility.

But Smith can hardly be called a failure on the field. His squad is still ahead of last year's pace on points and is in playoff position, the missing scorers and 3-game winless streak notwithstanding. It's way too soon to count the Rapids out. They've been consistently in most games, with a couple of Conor Casey runs in the box illustrating how close they've been to stealing points in Houston and vs. Chicago. Granted I did not see the Seattle game.

By comparison, last year's results in the first half included among 8 losses some fairly stinky efforts v. San Jose, Chivas and Toronto FC. There's a difference between losing the plot against a genuine Eastern Conference contender, and failing to show up against an expansion team without a victory (San Jose, '08).

Comparing them to the Sounders is tiresome since the markets are different and the Sounders, working from a clean slate, have opened up the wallet for a DP. Again, it's something Smith doesn't control, and the Rapids aren't that far behind Seattle anyway, with game in hand.

Progress has been slow, but it's apparent to anyone who really looks at the results, and Smith has earned the chance to make a run in the second half.

11. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, that post is nothing but hyperbole.

So who do the Rapids need to sign exactly? Smith got Noonan and this guy from Argentina is supposedly on the way. He also signed another defender to try and give some depth to the back line so we don't bleed as many stupid goals. He's had to cut players and fight the salary cap to do this. He's clearly making the effort to "shore up the offense", so I don't know what your expectation is short of finding the next Toja for a price that can fit under the cap. That's much easier said than done for people who are realistic.

A team coached by the same guy that took three years to turn Columbus into a champion. I have little doubt that Sigi would tell you that its a lot easier to start with a clean slate than it is to start with an old system that's broken.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids need to sign somebody for depth up front and if a gem of an attacking mid can be found, that would be nice too. If we actually bring in Diz that would be the depth up front.

At this point the team has the parts they need to make the playoffs. We need to keep the damage we suffer during the Gold Cup to a minimum, then get all our bodies back for the back end of the season. We've got Dallas and RBNY at home with DC on the road in between. I think 5 points or more in those 3 games is doing well at this point. After that we've got a stretch of 4 out of 5 at home, with nobody missing unless Bradley takes Casey (doubtful) or Pablo (possible) to the Azteca. August 1st through September 5th will be the make or break stretch of this season.

13. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I didn't think my statement was ambiguous, but I don't think Smith has proved himself as a success yet. Maybe your comment was pointed at others, but you quoted my post so I felt the need to clarify. ;)
    If nothing else, I think Smith deserves the chance to continue the process of either succeeding or failing as the Rapids HC.

14. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I agree completely and at this point don't even have concerns about him for 2010. I was very disappointed that he essentially began 2009 with the same line-up as 2008 and it's coming home to roost now. It appears he is now thinking some new players might help, good for him and the team. I'm hoping it works out.