Hurricane Katrina: What does it mean for Dubya?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Revolt, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Are you giving or receiving?

2. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm afraid you win.

3. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is the politics forum last I saw, when something happens you need to talk about it while it's relevant. Like the I told you so article about why people shouldn't live in New Orleans in the first place. It may seem distasteful but is absolutely the right time to talk about it.

Bush is a complete jack ass, IMO. You don't need to tell me that and he's proving it right now with the guitar stunt and getting off of air force one with Snoodles or whatever that stupid dogs name is. The guy talks big but shows little concern when sh1t happens. Witness "My Pet Goat". Don't you think he could have stopped reading, excused himself and acted like he gave a flying rat fart? With this disaster I guarantee that his first thought was how high oil and gas prices were gonna get and how much he'd make off it. OK, maybe thats a bit over the top, but I made my point. The president should act.... well...presidential at crucial times and seems to me like he just doesn't get that.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tasteless humor removed.

5. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is it possible, perhaps, that the President really does care? The vitriol and sarcasm from the left just reveals the true depths of their bitterness and hatred.

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ms. Coulter would make you red-faced and you'd whack off all night and the next day you'd tell your 5th grade buddies you actually saw a real woman! Indeed, if she graced her presence your way you might even manage a word edgewise out of your mouth, while she ripped you a new one with her rapier wit! You couldn't handle Ann's shadow in a boxing match, much less actually compete with her on even terms... go back to your hole...

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coulter ... edgewise ... hole.

There's a website I ain't gonna provide a link to.

8. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he cares, see how he canceled absolutely every other activity since the disast...

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Could the WH have released a worse picture? It just begs for the caption "wow, look at all that water! and those people look like ants!"

The press conference when he got back to DC was just as bad. Honestly, he sounded like a third-grader trying to describe his trip to the Grand Canyon.

I know it sounds like piling on, but he makes it so damn easy....

10. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No, it doesn't sound like piling on...it just sounds stupid and petty.

11. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you're right. Commemorating the victory over Japan for the 60th time obviously takes precedent over a huge natural disaster, but hey, when you've got an unpopular war to sell...

12. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Clay, there's a new reason for the SPW war (Gots ta keep the Jihaddis away from da oil)!

13. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What did you want him to do, fly to New Orleans and stop the wind from blowing?

14. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The country is looking for leadership, so what does he do? He does a fly-by, followed by a ridiculously limp speech. The guy is so disconnected, it's scary.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Latest Republican slogan:

Bush sucks, Rove swallows, and Coulter leaves it on her face.

16. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I notice that you didn't say what he should have done.

17. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I really have to? Is it absolutely necessary for me to point out the obvious?

*sigh*

For starters, cancel any and all meetings/conferences/photo ops that have nothing to do with the hurricane. I'm sure the hundreds of hand-picked audience members at NAS North Island would understand.

Secondly, get as close as you can - on the ground - to both NOLA and Biloxi. Yes, it's a disaster area, but Brian Williams and every other network talking head is there - why not Bush?

Third, show some leadership! Did you even watch the speech Bush gave when he got back to DC?

18. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    And what have you contributed to bigSoccer?

The things you said here are absolutely low class.

Boo

19. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Getting a president into and out of a disaster area takes a little bit more planning than getting Brian "Freaking" Williams there. Are you serious? Do you understand the logistical nightmare of tying up law enforcement for a presidential visit? It would only slow down recovery and relief efforts.

It was the president who made the evacuation order before the hurricane hit. The Lousiana governor and NO mayor have been slow to respond. The governor, in particular, looks way out of her depth. Somebody needs to slap her to get her to snap out of it.

20. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Ann Coulter is worthless. She uses you, exploiting you conservatives by writing garbage that pisses you off. Her type of communication is destructive; America would be better off without her.

By the way, it's cute how you're in love with a 43-year-old woman. Try worshipping someone worth worshipping.

21. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    If ITN was 45, that would be a good match! ;)

22. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow's lead editorial in the NYT:

Ouch.

23. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Revolt wasn't misguided in pointing out the lack of leadership.

Rush Limbaugh today used Katrina to deride the left wing, claiming liberals were going to use the disaster to move forward their political purposes. Revolt message got out to maybe 200 people. Rush's to a few million gullible dittoheads.

Coach should switch to decaf.

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001051313

25. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he was ignorant of it! Revolt did not seem to mention what the President has already done to aid the victims of Katrina in the Gulf, nor what he plans to do. Nor did Revolt mention what other state agencies are doing, in coordination with the Federal government. Revolt would prefer a president with a fat intern in the Oval Office ignoring the nation, rather than the current president who is, in fact, helping the nation. Revolt used this post to launch a cheap political attack.

To answer the title of post, what Katrina means for GWB is three to four states to rebuild, thousand of people to assist, and the total rebuild of our Gulf infrastructure. That's all. Nothing political.