Hurricane Katrina: What does it mean for Dubya?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Revolt, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the coming weeks, I think BushCo will take another broadside due to Hurricane Katrina. Why? As the suffering along the Gulf Coast continues, Americans will be asking why so many resources are being spent in Iraq. Case in point:

Froomkin

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think he'll have a very difficult time winning in 2008 because of his handling of this matter.

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    WTF??? Can't we even finish gathering the dead before you start some kind of political thread about it?

Have you no f'ing shame? Seriously, it's a disaster, people are dead, dying, and need help, and you f'ing want to make a political spectacle out of it??

Holy hell, how long after the Twin Towers fell were you on BS trying to find a political angle to further your hatred for the President? Had the dust even settled?

Get a grip on what's important rather than a grip on furthering your agenda..

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238884

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in all honesty, and seeing how his administration 's spin machine works....

maybe he'll find a way to blame a possible economic recession on KAtrina (oil prices can go up only so much before hurting the economy) , or that oil price increases in general are due to it (never mind that the price has been steadily progressing up for a long time now, w/o the help of tragedies such as Katrina)
    And of course let's not forget Bush's amazing gesture of sacrifice, not vacationing the two extra days he so very much deserved :rolleyes:

8. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Coach, I think you've overreacted. His post is untimely, but I'm not sure it's intentionally untimely.

9. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
  10. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Seriously, Revolt, this is is in pretty bad taste..

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. There's gonna be a shock to the energy system, which is gonna make people think about the vulnerability of our lifestyle. Also, the problems getting oil out of Iraq, and the effect of that on oil prices, are gonna get more attention.
    2. One of the side effects of global warming will be more and stronger hurricanes.
    3. Many of the Guard units that could help out ain't here. Further, the re-enlistment problems in the Guard (and Reserves) are gonna make governors in states that are disaster prone think about the Iraq adventure in a slightly different way.

Coach, I know that this is all gonna be bad for your boy, but it's a topic worthy of discussion. He's a bad president with bad policies, and this is another iteration of that.

12. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded!

Revolt... Bush is doing what he can! He declared disasters well in advance so material could be pre-positioned. He stopped his vacation. He is touring area! He is managing Federal response! What more can he do?

You want him to set up a Bed & Breakfast in the Superdome?

13. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I'll repeat for everyone: I don't have any "boys". I support the President, voted for him twice, but if he's being a jackass I'll be the first to say so. If you want to bash his foreign policy, his energy policy, fine, but don't use a f'ing disaster to do it with, at least until the dead are buried.

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I supported the president directly after 9/11.

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    So you are aware of what's in good taste, then? You now have a 50% rating on "Appropriate responses after disasters". I applaud you.

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the newspapers are filled with articles on this topic. You and some others may feel its inappropriate, but its news and I do feel its useful information.

17. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want proof of this! Just your say so doesn't cut it! Say something respectable about the Chief Executive rather than using a tragedy to further your political agenda.

18. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are putting into doubt the fact that all of us rallied around the president after 9/11? please, just because years later some of us can't make much sense of many of his policies does not mean we were not loyal to the man!

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ITN, I have the support of Dubya on 9/12 notarized on my wall.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a difference in that there are some decisions Bush has made that people were pointing to BEFORE the fact. For example, the overuse of the Guard. The energy policy. Global warming. The diversion of money from the levees to Iraq.

It would be as if before 9/11, Bush had made some very public decisions about international terrorism that many people intelligently critiqued, then turned out to be right. Then you'd have two analogous situations.

21. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Just wait til he starts posting every story about someone dying

You are one sick fvck Revolt

22. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd railroad Mother Teresa if it meant you could score the least political point; I have no doubt you'd hang First Lady Laura Bush in the first tree you came to if it meant you could put Bubba back in the Oval! I know your kind... Scruples to you is a type of hard candy!

23. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WH is already trying to spin this as an opportunity to show Dubya as a concerned, thoughtful leader (see here for an example), so comments by the plebes saying that he's still a buffoon are fair game, IMO.

Political spin is always happening.

24. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Whatever you need to do to feel good about having zero qualms about it, fine.

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still with the zippy one-liners and nothing of substance.