Hurricane Katrina: Aftermath and Cleanup, Continued, Again

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Coach_McGuirk, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just returned from New Orleans, repositioned there on a relief flight, worked back to San Antonio, and flew back home.

I am going to have a beer and watch the USA/Mexico match that my wife graciously TiVO'd for me.

I'll come back and post. It is more fvcked up than anybody could possibly imagine.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add me to the list who believe the federal gov't. just flat out failed the city of NO, and really all areas devestated by the storm. Most of the focus is on NO, but all reports coming out of other cities and towns are bad, just plain bad.

IMO, this president must resign. He has failed and it is has cost, is costing, American lives both abroad and now at home.

Yes, this is a top to bottom problem we are facing. But in the days leading up to and in the days following the storm, NO ONE on this planet can defend the inaction of our nation's leaders. Inaction that without doubt ended lives and has ripped a gaping hole in the confidence of a nation.

This has been despicable, it has been shameful and there are no excuses.

3. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spent a little more than 2 hours of my day Saturday at the MSY airport.

The human tradgedy of this event has in no way been fully conveyed to the american public. I've never thought myself an emotional man, but I really haven't slept much since spending a little over an hour and a half trying to take care of 120 New Orleans residents trying to figure out what life still holds for them.

I haven't been able to go an hour without nearly breaking down. What a terrible, terrible nightmare this is.

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

That is what I have thought based on comments I've read. It seems terrible from the pictures but I know we are not getting the full brunt of the effects of Katrina.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy to report the last friend of mine I hadn't heard from from New Orleans just sent me an email and is located safely in Nashville. :)

All of my friends...accounted for. :)

6. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I would put myself on this list: govt at all levels failed. the storm was more than expected.

7. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

Saturday was the toughest. It was also my only trip into New Orleans, but that was more than enough. The Airport nearly resembled the scene from the Confederate hospital in Gone with the Wind. Its not even much of an exaggeration.

In the past few days, I've been to Corpus Christie, Salt Lake City, Peoria, Battle Creek, San Antonio... all over. We can do all of the News stories about celebrities hugging and kissing and crying and sending money, but you know what? Nobody really cares. Nobody's down there and REALLY doing things for these people, providing the emotional support that they need. They are kind of being treated like dogs - and I hate to play the race card, but its being played on a constant basis by those who are "in charge" of the rescue and recovery efforts.

I don't know. All I can say is that in my last almost two weeks of dealing with FEMA and some of the individual Federal agencies that are running this sh1t... I don't know. I can't believe that this effort and coordination is the BEST that this country has to offer its citizens.

8. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best the country has to offer are making tons of ca$h in the commercial sector.

Those who hate risk, can't make decisions, and love processes are in our government, covering their asses.

Sorry, but the Republicans are right about one thing: government is really bad at most things, and if you're depending on the government to save you, educate your children, or bring you out of poverty, good luck.

Too bad Republicans also seem to be increasing the role and scope of government.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anybody wants to contribute to relief efforts, but can't afford to make a larger monetary donation, here's two ways you can donate much needed items that don't cost a lot. Assemble a Health Kit or a School Kit. Basic items needed by everyone and some school supplies for the kids starting over.

Also, it is a good, tangible way to show your kids charity in action as smaller kids don't understand as much the concept of writing a check or a credit card donation.

10. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number one thing that every single resident I've dealt with over the last 5 days has been begging for is clean clothes. I dont know what efforts are underway with regards to that but if there were any way to send clothes I would look into that absolutely first, even before money.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately a lot of charities are saying "cash only," but I know some are taking clothes. I'll see what I can dig up regarding those.

12. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

I'll second that

That and trial sizes of deodorant. PLEASE

13. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Guys,
    I have some clothes to donate but have no idea where to.

Secondly, I wanted to volunteer at the DC Armory where they're housing a few hundred refugees. Could anyone advise me how to go about doing that.

Thirdly, my roommate, who's from NO, is trying to convince me to go down there over Thanksgiving to volunteer. Does anyone have any idea what that might entail at that point?

Thanks!

14. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Call your local Red Cross chapter for all of those

They will pre-screen you and then if you aren't a criminal and can give two weeks, you'll get on a list to go after some training

15. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats melodramatic ****************.

There are good people in government. Really good caring and effective people.

And there are jack offs.

Just like in the private sector.

Thats life.

You try to find the good ones in government, and give them as much responsibility as they can handle. And you find the incompetents and you run them out of town on a rail.

The people of Louisiana will have their day to decide whether their governor did her job.

But to me, George Bush put 3 incompetents in charge of FEMA. Political appointees who worked on his campaign. People who were completely overwhelmed by that responsibility. And their responsibility wasnt some dog and pony show, it was about saving lives. And they ********ed up, and ********ed up good. And for that you can sure as hell bet Im going to hold the administration responsible for that.

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DynamoKiev_USA: Today's Washington Times has an article about Katrina Victims at DC Armory; apparently the D.C. Department of Health is managing the effort, along with the D.C. Department of Human Services... you might try to call them...

17. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD

Two weeks?!

18. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

That's what they are looking for to go to NOLA

I'd call and ask

Most volunteers I've talked to are in it for two weeks

19. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm. Definitely can't do 2 weeks...

20. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

I hear Sean Penn needs help

Can you bail out a boat quickly ?

;)

21. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    No, but I take wicked photographs!

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go in a heartbeat, but I can't go two weeks between school and taking care of a newborn. :(

23. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Now is not the time, Gosh!

24. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump, on this first anniversary.

25. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I would have liked to quote this entire article about Harry Anderson's decision to finally leave New Orleans which was in the Times today. I found it moving and on the level. Instead of reading more about political bickering and seeing pictures of fools dancing around with musical instruments in yet another silly parade to "prove" to themselves that all is basically okay, I think it is refreshing to read a piece about someone who comes across as speaking to the realities of this situation.

For Harry Anderson, the New Orleans Magic Is Gone - New York Times