Hurricane Katrina: Aftermath and Cleanup, Continued, Again

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Coach_McGuirk, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of off-topic, but when I was on my way home last night the local firefighters were standing at the intersections, doing their annual "fill the boot" collection for Muscular Dystrophy. While MD is certainly a terrible disease, and at any other time I would gladly contribute, I found the timing of this particulary bad, with the Red Cross and other organizations making desperate pleas for donations to aid NO and the gulf coast areas.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

3. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the extent that the Army Corps of Engineers is responsible for the levees and their maintenance, the Feds have always been involved.

4. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's in charge of the port of New Orleans and the tariffs collected there?

5. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the city of NO has been refusing repairs and upgrading of their levee system?

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but they work with the city in setting construction guidelines which must be met in order to receive those permits.

Come on Mike, we can play this all day.

7. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might be the most terrifying thing of all. We still don't know how to respond adequately to a crisis, especially our leaders.

8. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the important step that you've made is that you've stopped blaming the actual citizens of NO and moved up to local and state government. We'll get you closer to the big picture my friend :)

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take it a few steps further, and imagine how fvcked all of us are if/when a nuclear device ever goes off.

10. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Very true. However, let me give you the case of St. Bernard. The residents of St Bernard are contained within the levee system. Small, lower middle class city. The corp came in and decided that the ship canal needed to be dredged. Not just redredged, but dramatically deeper than it was already. St Bernard residents opposed this because of the huge volume of water that would be created in their frontyards. The corp patted the residents on the head and went ahead and dredged. Turned out the residents were right. You can probably find the images of lake St Bernard.

12. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just found out that my brother in law, a chef, is helping out..

email snippet...

Kudos to him....

13. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, are you suggesting the COE is in charge of the port of New Orleans?

The Federal Government is in charge of the tariffs levied there (of course, as per the Constitution). What of that money has been put back into the surrounding infastructure to guarantee that the port remained open through all weather conditions?

14. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You call them stupid for building their houses below sea level. Sounds like you're blaming them to me?

15. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So beforehand you were complaining about the building contractors and city government crying about the houses they built being destroyed, and not the actual people that live in them?

I'm sorry, I didn't see Joey Numbnuts from the Building Commission on FoxNews crying that all the permits that he gave out were being washed away...

16. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a cashcow for the Federal Government and they have apparently done fvckall for ensuring its continued operation by protecting it and its workers with upgraded flood protection systems.

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of Mike's specialties is goalpost shifting.

18. cnoc

cnoc New Member

Dec 19, 1999
    up the airy mountain
    doesn't need a caption

[​IMG]

19. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Bush has arrived in Mobile to take a look at the damage. Better stay away from NOLA, with all the people shooting at the copters.

20. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is completely contradicting your entire post referenced above:

You didnt mention anything about builders or city planners, you said that people who buy in New Orleans are stupid and shouldn't complain. Why can't you admit that you have changed your mind, trust me, its a noble admission.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One was found 65 miles away on Dauphin Island in Alabama, it slammed into a bridge.

22. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Bush is on TV right now being briefed about the damage in AL. Chimpy has his "I'm concerned" face as people tell him what is going on, wearing his business casual attire to make him look like he is one with the people.

Meanwhile. reports are coming in that those stuck in NOLA are having to resort to canibalism to keep alive.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm sure it had been planned for quite some time and the amount the contribute is probably a line item in someone's budget, so they plow on.

24. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Holy Crap

NG troops have been given TEN rounds total each

For personal protection

WTF ?

25. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    CNN just called bvllshite on Bush, saying he should be spending more time observing the damage rather do a photo op where GOP govenors brief him on the situation and then Bush praises FEMA for their work.