Huge game in NE this Sunday (potential R later)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by FlashMan, Sep 26, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Metros and DC having separated themselves a bit from Clb & NE, this weekend's matchup between the Crew and Revs takes on added significance.

Kamler (RC) & Pierce (YC accumulation) are out for the Revs, which hurts the Revs' starting 11 and their depth significantly, while Oughton (YC accumulation) is out for the Crew, and I think Cunningham is still questionable with an injury. Neither of those hurt the Crew as much as I think Kamler & Pierce missing hurt the Revs IMHO, especially with Buddle & McBride up front for the Crew. Will be interesting to see how TT responds after his sub-par performance v. the Rapids last week.

The Revs finish the season with two games v. the Metros so depending on how things play out they will still have their chances. But this weekend's matchup could easily be crucial in who "doesn't get relegated" from the East before the playoffs.

Gut feeling? 2-1 Crew, but should be a good one.

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Huge game indeed.

3. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    could be a springboard into the playoffs for whichever team wins. the loser of this game has no momentum and points to make up fast. i'd guess loser of this game misses the playoffs.
    oh, and cunninham is out for this one.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just can't fathom that the Revs make the playoffs. Columbus is the better team, and I think that they are going to lay the smack down on the Revs this weekend. If not for the serious injuries that kept Buddle, Martino and McBride out for a good chunk of the year, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Columbus would be fighting for 2nd (or possibly 1st) instead of fighting for 4th. My money is on the Crew.

5. PFSIKH

PFSIKH Member

Nov 1, 1999
    ClarkVegas
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What of Adin Brown's injury? Reis got 1 of 12 points during those games.

Bottomline: If the Revs miss the playoffs, they have several games such as 3-3 vs Metros, 4-2 and 1-0 losses to DC, in which they should have had at least 7 points instead went home with 1.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Realistically there is no reason the Crew should lose this game. But it has been one of those years...

7. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    all this spectulation....they'll probably tie.

8. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Crew have two overtime losses, and the Metros have three OT wins. Without OT, the Crew would be above the Metros in the table.

Too bad it's between these two sides, because they are both better than KC, I'd say.

9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was quite a game...even while being a Metro fan, and admittedly neutral, i could see that the Revs really wanted it more.....Those two picture-perfect free kicks...wow

10. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    What would the table look like if no OT goals had been scored this season?

11. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. I decided to start a thread about that. https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74747

Someone in an above post said that the MetroStars won 3 OT games. That is wrong. They won 2 and lost 1. Columbus, though, lost 3 OT games.

- Paul