How's Martino doing?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ursula, Sep 29, 2003.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    No, I am not trolling. I am wondering, since our two teams have a date next Saturday, how Martino is lately. I'm thinking of Kyle in particular since the Crew will be catching United without both Petke (central defense) and Kovalenko (d-mid) in the lineup due to (suprise!) caution points. I'm thinking that driving down the middle of the field against a makeshift DCU defense will be easier than normal.

So what are your realistic thoughts?

2. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    You showed up at the wrong time. I'd come back later.

3. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Ursula, our team is in such disrepair that we have no clue of which Crew team will show up. We all were hoping on two good showings in our away matches to the East Coast and ended with two sour defeats. We still don't get enough shots or SOG so KMart is really not the dangerous attacking mid we all expected this year. I'd like to see APC in there for this match and for us to come out shooting from the hips. Maybe we can get back on track by taking down DC at home, just like in the old times, but DC's (or any other opponents) injuries and absences have not been exploited by us and I don't see it changing for this game.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I like the Crew's talent.I think a coaching change might help. Your attack is a shambles for such a talented squad.

5. doliveti

doliveti New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Martino has not been playing well at all recently. He is supposed to control the offense but has done very little in the past few games. Some of it has to do with the lackluster play around him but overall I think he is overrated. YES I said it. Everyone seemed to anoint him the savior from just a handful of good games but he has yet to consistently perform at a high level. Hopefully for the Crew's sake and for the National Team he lives up to the hype and finds some consistency.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, i really hope that KMart isn't overrated and is just going through a stretch, because he played really well in the couple of internationals he had. Anyway, DC is as decimated as any team in the league now between suspensions and injuries. A season that was looking great 5 days ago is now looking like another loser. Anyway, let's hope that KMart improves after this season is over. LOL

7. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Thanks for the understatement. See below...

8. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    he read too much of his own HYPE, IMO. He is talented, but easily taken out of the game by physical play and plays "toe poke" type D. The league has his number (see fouls suffered by game) and marks him out of most matches. He hasn't discovered how to get the ball on the move to get turned upfield and runs out of gas in the 75th + min. of most games. Tough sophomore year - he needs to get better or sit,and Greg wont sit him.

Making the "All Starr" Team did nothing to bring him back to reality, either.

9. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    simple answer: he's been *#*#*#*#

10. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *#*#*#*# = Dung

11. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I don't think any of the above is wrong but I think overated is a bad word. He's definately got talent. But he was found out quickly and we don't have the tactics to give him his space.

And maybe he is basking in his own hype.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd rank Martino as the top disapointment of this season for the Crew.

13. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Freddy Garcia.

14. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe I'm just being soft, but I don't think Martino has recovered from the Cameroon match during Confederations Cup. Since getting hacked down he's seemed slower and not as aggressive. Plus, I think the constant pounding he takes during MLS play - even though he missed a decent amount of time through injury - is wearing him down, too.

I think Martino's play this season epitomizes that of the Crew - they're just a step slow seemingly all the time. However, to call him overrated and basically say he's a failure is pretty ridiculous, but then again I've come to expect such things.

15. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Tough to blame players when the team does not appear to have a coherent strategy and is unsure what roles it really wants them to play. Sure their have been injuries, but the better caoching staffs have allowed their less experienced players to fill specific roles that the team needed them to play.

Diego comes to mind here and Freddy's demise seems related. There has been no theme or style framework that develops cohesive play and allows players, particularly younger ones, to develop priorities for their roles.

16. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Torres

17. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the entire roster from thecrew.com

Capital letter represents player's position.
    Bold letter repesesents player's status.
    D = Developmental
    T = Transitional International
    S = Senior International
    P = Project 40

0) M, D, Murriagui, Andres
    1) G, Busch, Jon
    2) D, Hejduk, Frankie
    3) D, Clark, Mike
    4) D, Williams, Mark
    5) D, McCarty, Chad
    6) D/M, Denton, Eric
    7) M, T Walsh, Diego
    8) D/M, S Oughton, Duncan
    10) M, Maisonneuve, Brian
    11) F, Cunningham, Jeff
    12) F, Buddle, Edson
    15) M, Garcia, Freddy
    16) M, Paule, Ross
    17) M/F, West, Brian
    18) D, P Akwari, Nelson
    20) F, McBride, Brian
    21) M, Martino, Kyle
    22) G, Presthus, Tom
    23) F, Chacon, Alex Pineda
    24) M, D, Matteo, Jeff
    25) F, D, Ritch, Michael
    28) D, D, Traeger, Jake
    31) G, D, Ueltschey, Michael

Here's who should not be on the roster next year.
    Brian West
    Chacon (get someone younger)
    Jeff Cunningham
    Freddy Garcia
    Daniel Torres
    Mike Clark (retirement)
    Brian Maisonneuve (retirement)

There's some scenario where Presthus retires and gets some soccer-related job, either with the Crew or elsewhere in Central Ohio. Michael Ueltschey moves up to be the Crew's backup GK. But Presthus still has gas in the tank, and I don't see him retiring. I think he'll be back unless we find someone really good. I'd rather have Presthus as the backup instead of Ueltschey.