How's AIK Doing?

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Olesh, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Olesh

Olesh Member

Jul 24, 1999
    South Bay
    I used to follow Swedish football pretty closely in the late 90s, and kinda adopted AIK as my team of interest (hey, they were the only club at the time who had their website in English and were great in Championship Manager).

In any event, I know they were relegated, but my interest has been rekindled and I'm having a hard time finding info about Swedish Football below the Allsvenskan.

Any links or information would be appreciated. Specifically, if anybody can give me an idea of how AIK is doing in the table, and if they look like they will be promoted again. Also, I'd be interested to learn who their key players are these days, as their website seems to have regressed in quality.

Thanks.

2. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
  3. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    They had to get rid of their farm club, FC Café Opera. I really liked them. A "SpVgg Unterhacing" if you will.

4. vanessdada

vanessdada New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    I think AIK are surely going back to the Swedish premiership.And i also think that their most expensive player Derrick Boateng hasn't lived up to expectation maybe due to a psychological effect with AIK relegation to Superettan.That has affected Boateng so much especially when he was earning something like $25,000 monthly and now cannot earn that much due to relegation.

Does anybody have an idea which 2 or 3 clubs from the Superettan can make it to the Swedish premiership?Lets debate this,ladies and gentlemen.

5. trondheim

trondheim New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Canada
    I'm an AIK fan myself who sort of lost touch with the club saw them play Arsenal in the CL a few seasons back in my first trip to London. I got my hands on a player worn jersey from the Valencia match during the UEFA cup when I was in Spain but didn't really follow the team last season so was shocked to see that they had been relegated!!! Being in Canada it is hard to get decent AIK news but forum members might find this amusing that I ran into a few Swedes in my fare city who absolutely detest AIK and made there opinions quite clear to me and my (new found) AIK shirt! I didn't realize they were such a hated club afterall they haven't been burning up the league in the last several seasons.

6. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
    You have to understand that AIK is a club that inspires very strong feelings - More so than any other Swedish Soccer club. Most people either really like them, or they really hate the club. These strong feelings have nothing to do with their results. :)

7. Olesh

Olesh Member

Jul 24, 1999
    South Bay
    Out of curiosity, could you clue me in as to what inspires those hard feelings? That way maybe I'll understand if a random Swede decides to attack me while wearing AIK apparel.

8. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
    I suppose it is mostly due to the hooliganism which has been associated (fairly or unfairly) with AIK fans in the last few decades. Not many like a club with rowdy fans, which causes a lot of people to root against them. But the situation seems to have improved in the last few years, from what I can tell.
    (Although there was an incident a few months ago where some AIK fans caused a fight at a game, which could have led to penalties for the club, but the club was judged to be not responsible for the incident)

9. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY

There was also an incident last season during a match with Hammarby that resulted in AIK playing their final home match (in which their relegation was officially clinched), behind closed doors.

10. Olesh

Olesh Member

Jul 24, 1999
    South Bay
    Thanks for the info.

I was aware that AIK had a pretty rowdy hardcore supporters group, but was always under the impression that Hammarby was the Stockholm club with the most large-scale hooligan problems.

I thought the antimosity towards AIK was because Solna was more of a suburban club, while clubs like Hammarby have a more working-class supporter base, creating tensions.

11. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Actually Hamarby probably have least hooligan problems of the three big Stockholm clubs (wich make them one of three clubs in Sweden with actually have a problem with it).
    Yes, part of the reason is the old dislike from the two older of the three big Stockholms clubs. Traditionaly Hammarby was the working class club, Djurgården for the Middle and Upper classes and AIK for the surburbians, butthat wasn't really true anymore even 20 years ago.

12. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    aik fans have bad reputation but they are not only ones causing troubles

but back to topic it's great to see aik on their way back to allsvenskan :)

13. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    for your info

nowadays all the working class is living in the suburbs. the inner city is filled with the middle and upper classes

14. trondheim

trondheim New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Canada
    Just curious does the Black Army have anything to do with the hooliganism associated with AIK?

15. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    it's mostly a small group within the black army called "firman"

16. trondheim

trondheim New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Canada
    thank you... so generally the Black Army is just a supporters group?

17. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    yep the majority are quite harmless nice people

btw good to see more swedes on this site, this forum used to be dead so i haven't checked for a while now i think i will post more often :)

18. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, it was a bit different twenty years back or so but they tried to get ride of the hooligans with rather good success.

19. trondheim

trondheim New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Canada
    So if I were to wear my Black Army stockholm t-shirt when visitng would I be generally safe or would it be foolish to venture into certain parts of Stockholm? When I was in London I was told to avoid certain areas (based on following Crystal Palace and being told to avoid Millwall, etc.)

20. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    you'll be quite safe

but don't visit the pub "kvarnen" located in södermalm :D

21. trondheim

trondheim New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Canada
    you have peaked my interest! Why should I avoid this pub?

22. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It is the hangout for Hammarby fans; entering it with a Black Army t-shirt could be seen as a provocation.
    Although that is probably only likely if AIK recently beat Hammarby (in any Sport).

23. Benton

Benton New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    South Carolina
    This is off the topic but can any of you Swedish football fans tell me anyting about the club IK Brage?

A guy I used to play with is trying out for the team and its incredibly hard to find info on them in English. Primarily I was wondering what division the team plays in (I think its Sweden B).

Any info you guys can pass along would be great.

Much appreciated.

24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    IK Brage, is a club from Borlänge where I used to live so I know something about them. They have have a rather long and glorious history, being in Allsvenskan several times, but are currently down on their luck and have the last years been going up an down betwen Superettan and Divison 2.

The top of the Swedish leauge system:
    Allsvenskan, 14 teams
    Superettan, 16 teams
    Divison 2, 6 series with 12 team each

I have no detailed informations but I think the will be trying real hard to get back to where they think they belong, that is at least Superettan but are currrently doing badly.

Tabell:
    http://www.svenskfotboll.se/Table.asp?TournamentId=29570
    First place team get a chance to reach Superettan.
    Place 2-4 will play in the new Divison 1 series to be formed between Superettan and Divison 2 next year (2 series of 14team/each).
    Place 5 get a chance for the new Divison 1.