Howard's progress surprises Ferguson

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Soccerholic, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he gets braver on high balls in the box he'll be much closer to the greatness expected of him.
    That's the one aspect that he has an obvious "weakness" in.
    I'm sure he will. Especially with someone like Keane getting on him. :)

2. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I havent read the article but Im not surprised at all, Howard is outstanding, I was a little skeptical since I thought there was a lot of hype but he is really good.

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Timmy strikes me as the kind of person who will work his ass off to improve his game. I remember people were worried that he was giving up a lot of rebounds early on, but I don't hear that complaint anymore. He is a player that I am looking forward to watching for years to come.

4. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    Doesn't surprise those of us who got to see him week in, week out for the Metros.

5. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    yeah but it suprises the english United fans, we had never heard of him never mind not seen him play. The thing that has suprised me is the fact he already seems part of the team, he hasnt needed to settle in and he looks like he has been playing for United for a couple of years. Most players especially from foreign backgrounds need time to settle in

6. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hated to to see Timmy go, as he kept the Metros in many a game. I hated even more to see him go to MU, but he will always be the king of East Rutherford. He was much beloved here, and I hope you people up there give him time to show you why.

7. NYmetrofan

NYmetrofan New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    NY
    Well Howard didn't have to make a save against Arsenal but i like the way he ahs played so far

8. angusmcpresley

Jun 6, 2002
    Melbourne

That's what's surprising to me too... Here's this
    kid -- 24 years old? -- thrust into the most
    intense team in the most intense league in the
    world. He's hanging out in the locker room with
    Ruud, having to yell at MU's veteran defenders, and turning away shots from Thierry Henry. He just seems so unphased by it all.

I'm still nervous as hell whenever the ball goes down his way. Like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm dreading the first time he muffs a game, which is just a matter of time for any keeper. I'm just glad it hasn't happened early on...

--Mark

9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far he's only been there a couple of months. If he does continue to produce at ManU, how big an effect will it have on the impression of US Soccer players and MLS? How long till he can overtake Keller as the #2? Or is that more of a function of how Keller holds up as he ages than it is a function of how much Howard improves?

10. angusmcpresley

Jun 6, 2002
    Melbourne

I hate to say it, but Keller's star seems to be fading at present -- through not much fault of his own. Tottenham needs to get their act together. He's still playing well, I think, but it'll be hard to overcome the perception that comes from playing for a losing team. Thankfully we still have Friedel as an easy first choice...

(Sorry for off-topic Team USA discussion...)

11. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Hey, a little more balance guys. He's done what he has to do and he's done it well. But the defence in front of him has performed superbly - 2 goals conceded so far in 7 competitive games and they've reduced a team like Arsenal to virtually zero attempts on goal over 90 minutes. Let's wait until we see him really deal with attacking pressure before we cannonise him :)

12. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "But the defence in front of him has performed superbly - 2 goals conceded so far in 7 competitive games and they've reduced a team like Arsenal to virtually zero attempts on goal over 90 minutes."

I am pleasantly surprised at the defensive play this year. I didn't expect such a solid effort seeing as how we didn't sign any defenders. But O'Shea and Ferdinand have been spectacular and Silvestre has been solid...and Howard has made some good saves when the back four break down.

13. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    Im not, Man United didnt have the best defensive record last year for nothing

14. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Howard is God.

15. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    hes not quite there yet ;)

16. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how long before you guys attempt to buy him? ;)

17. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Never. Madrid only spends huge amounts of money on offensive players. :D

18. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    First a save is against a shot on goal.

That could be misleading as the keeper can be very busy and active handling crosses, and leaving the line to get to ball before they actually become shots on goal.

------------

BUT, Manchesters team defense and I am not just talking about their backs now, is excellent. The team is full of hard working defenders when that team loses the ball. They must get a lot of credit for that keeping the shots against them low.

I never thought Manchester with that team defense needed a great keeper. They just need a good keeper, and Howard has proved to be a good keeper over time.

He had weaknesses with the Metrostars especially with his distributions. Too many clearances, punts and long goal kicks in my view. He throws more now, rolls the ball more now, and passes to team mates with his feet more now so he has improved in that area of his game. Plus the manchester players really fight to get to the longer 40/60 distributions much more the the metrostars did. I don't call a long distribution when players a just waiting for the ball a 50/50 ball because the opponent is facing the ball.

I said this before and I am sure Howard just before he goes to bed thinks "I most have died and went to Soccer heaven" Playing for that team.

19. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Utd have the best defense - by far - in the Prem, with their #2 CB out (though, I admit, I prefer O'Shea or Silvestre to Brown... but SAF doesn't).

All the criticism that suggested they had to sign an elite defender was ridiculous. The defense played poorly against Real Madrid. Gasp!

Over the course of the year, they were the best in England. And they're young and getting better. Defenders don't really peak until about 30 for the most part. This rear guard, along with Howard, is going to dominate for a long time.

20. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I prefer O'Shea or Silvestre to Brown"

O'Shea has made some unbelievable plays this year in defense. Good golly he is just going to get better too.

Silvestre is solid but a little careless with his backpasses at times.

And Rio is finally showing people that he was worth the money. So calm and cool and gets the job done.

21. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    dont rule out Wes Brown, i have no doubt if that Wes had stayed clear of injuries he would be the best of the lot. I just hope that when he returns this time he can stay clear of injuries and show us what hes got

22. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You gotta wonder -- Man U paid 2.3M pounds for Howard, but what's his market value now that he's played with the team? It must be at least four times that now.

23. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite yet. His price may have doubled by now in market value, and United might have a higher than market value price tag on him if somebody actually wanted to come in for him. But it's still early days for him and he hasn't been called on to really make a ton of saves yet since he's playing behind such a great defence. The times he's been called into action, he's been superb, but he hasn't really been tested all that much either.

24. akhman

akhman Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Hyde Park, MA
    fixed your post.

(from what I hear, Tim's a pretty devout dude... Let's not piss off the Lord on his behalf!)