Howard's #18 to be "put on the shelf"

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Jul 30, 2003.

1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    "We are putting it on the shelf, so he can reclaim it when he returns," said GM Nick Sakiewicz, who added that Howard "was taken by that gesture."

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I hope for his sake he doesn't return to soon....

3. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    GAY!

Either retire it or dont.

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't retire the # of someone who hasn't retired yet, so officially "retiring" 18 is foolish. But if the team doesn't want to give somebody #18 for the time being because they hope that (a) he needs it again or (b) he becomes such a megastar that they can formally retire it 15 years from now in a lavish ceremony where he shows up with all of his World Cup medals and Champions League trophies, it's no big deal. There are other numbers for other players to wear.

5. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    Wash it first.

6. Goalkeeps7

Goalkeeps7 Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Just be glad their not selling it on EBay

7. Chunas

Chunas New Member

Jul 15, 1999
    linden, nj, usa
    retired # 18 but why please this is not basketball or other sport this is soccer so why retired #18 ?

8. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Good call.

9. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet someone has it next season!

10. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY

....yet

11. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Does anyone have the same feeling I do, that Nick feels Howard will sit the bench at Man U, become frustrated and rejoin the team in a year or two?

He has been unusually accomodating and supportive on this transfer in his comments to the press, which is obviously not his personality. Even before reading the article, I always felt they thought he will fail and return soon.

12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    The gesture also works if it's a triumphant return after 3 Champions' League titles as the starter, though. I think you're way off on this one.

13. Jahmakya

Jahmakya New Member

May 28, 2001
    NYC
    NO. I think he is accomodatine and supportive because this is what Howard wants, and Nick knows it.

14. Jahmakya

Jahmakya New Member

May 28, 2001
    NYC

I second that.

15. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet

16. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Re: Re: Howard's #18 to be "put on the shelf"

Its the real fans that keep the league going......
    :rolleyes:

I don't believe in retiring numbers...period so, I'm glad they didn't jump the gun on this one to try and create some tradition.

17. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yep...Timmy wore 18. I he stayed with it for the same reason as Thorton. They were 2nd string keepers, but were able to outplay the 1st string during the season. I guess they just wanted to stay with the number they gained success with.

BTW...the Metros have only had three goalies that wore the #1: Tony Meola, Mike Ammann, and Jonny Walker.

18. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the tradition of certain numbers in soccer and that they are traditionally the low numbers, I don't believe soccer teams should retire numbers.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool when a new player comes in and takes the number of some greats -- it's almost like they now have to live up to wearing the number -- like Harry Kewell taking #7 for Liverpool and striving to live up to legends Keegan and Dalgish.

19. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    im not much for retiring numbers but i thought it was right when manchester city did it after foe died

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Sounds like the Metros are trying to milk every ounce out of this story, which isn't such a bad idea.

21. Stop all this nonsense now. I have the Metro game-worn shirt from HELL. I'd post a picture of it here but if you see it you turn to stone.

You'll just have to take my word for it.

22. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    There is NO REASON to retire #18. Tim was a starter for what.. 2 maybe 3 years? Never made the championship match either. Sure hes good, but retiring his jersey is rediculous.

23. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Oh crap, I agree with soccerscout on something....I am now going to set myself on fire.

24. nolram

nolram Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Bayonne, NJ
    It took me a while, but then I realised that even Pele's team in Brazil didn't retired his number, accordintg to some Pele v 2.0 is wearing it.