Howard Wants To Avoid USA Row

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Nov 7, 2003.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the folks at USSoccer noticed this...

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, because Costa Rica who had a good showing at the World Cup (eventhough they didn't advance out of the first round, but were in a bracket with Brazil & Turkey) lost to Barbados. It can happen to anybody.

3. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In June MLS has a busy schedule, we have four goalkeepers in England, i am sure two of them will do and not many MLS players will be called up.
    I think we could almost field an entire team from the yanks abroad. A good team. Go ahead give it a shot.!

4. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    With all due respect to St. Kitts, the suggestion was to play solid MLS professionals, not minor leaguers. If we wanted to challenge ourselves like Lasorda's team did, we'd just play a mix of Chicago Stingers, my nephew's U12 team, and that guy on my recreational league team who's a pretty decent goalie.

5. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
  6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June
    June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June June

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think the English cannot grasp the fact that we have 3 qualitiy keepers in the EPL, another bunch in the MLS, and before I forget 1 in the English 1st Division. Hell we could rotate calling in Timmy, Keller, and Brad along with calling up a MLS keeper (Brown, Walker, Hartman, Cannon, etc) for all the games.

8. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    I know i just wanted you all to see it.

The planetfootball article which triggered this whole thing said iirc that it was a game against germany. Is a friendly with germany on the agenda?

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Nothing official. If there was we would all know about it.

10. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    this part of the english media has problems with everything and if they dont they make them up

How many games in england did keller and friedel miss due to wc qualifiers?

And do you think that the keepers from england will be called for every or most of these matches?

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jan. 18th is a friendly against Denmark, why would he pulled for that when we could very easily have somebody else do it like Nick Rimando or something.

Also, qualifyng doesn't start until June. Maybe this is an older story? Other CONCACAF nations begin qualifying in January, but not the USA. If this is very recent, this journalist needs to have his credentials revoked for not being vaguely aware of the USA's qualifying schedule.

12. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    How do you know it is Denmark?

Rimando is recovering from ACL, but yeah Brown could do it.

And like other people said, the English media is known for making stuff up if nothing is there, with a few exceptions.

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it on another thread and I think that guy had gotten it from ESPN's site. Speaking about speculation as fact is a BS specialty :D

14. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Arena was quoted as saying Johnny Walker would get a chance with the nats. Maybe call in him and Adin.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    who cares? from what i recall baseball and the abomination of a sport "soft"ball were cancelled for at least the greek olympics because there were NO suitable venues and the greek officials have no desire to WASTE money on baseball/softball fields.

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Every Tim Howard prediction I have made has been wrong, but I don't think Bruce Arena would be stupid enough to call him into anything but the most important USMNT games at this point. To interfere with a 23 year old GK's career at Man utd would be almost unspeakabe folly, both for Howard himself and for the future of the men's national team.