Howard Wants To Avoid USA Row

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Nov 7, 2003.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was an article on Planetfootball today about how Timmy wants to aviod a possible row with club vs. country in Jan. The article said he could miss a league match against Wolves and a Cup match because of W.C. qualification. I thought this was odd because I remember reading that we didn't start qualification until June.

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well what makes him think he's first string? Or second?

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    "row" :rolleyes:

yeah no kidding...to me he's still a DISTANT third...however...even if he WAS first...Well gee Tim, it's only the World Freakin Cup we're talking here...

4. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    The possibility of Brad's current [lack of] form lasting through the entire EPL season (which probably won't happen).

5. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    The fact he has 9 shutouts for a little club called Man United, beating out World cup winning goalie Fabien Barthez for the spot in the process might help.

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    He has fewer saves all season than Keller had against Manchester City. (give or take a few)

Think maybe that defense has anything to do with it?

7. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Link? Too lazy to go find it myself.

8. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
  9. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
  10. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had been assuming (and had read other indications on these boards) that in the first round of qualifiers, we wouldn't be calling in our top-flight european players. Seems like a wise idea considering there's no reason to create club v. country issues (such as this very one) when we're going to be up against the likes of some very weak competition. I'm sure Adin Brown or Zach Thornton could do just fine against St. Kitts/Nevis, Granada, or whichever other tiny island we play.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason I posted the thread was to figure why it was written if we don't start qaulififcation until June. If we do in fact start in June, then there's no club vs. country issue. I was just wondering if this was a "real" article or one that was a fabricated to create a little stir, which planetfootball has done a time or two.

12. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could probably do just fine against them - and I am a 5'-9", 150lb weekend warrior.

13. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    there shouldn't be club v. country issues in June unless they're MLS club v. country issues. And that hasn't been a big problem in the past.

14. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    SAF does get a little bitter if he feels his players are playing too many matches because of national team duty. But with qualification starting in June, we should really avoid that, at least for now.

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was before CONCACAF decided to change everything at the last second. Now we no longer start in January, but now we face tougher competition. Our qualifying campaign starts (and hopefully doesn't end) in June.

I also think you generally get a lot more leeway from managers with a Goalkeeper than a field player as there's less issues regarding fatigue and such.

16. Tom T

Tom T New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Soccer Wasteland
    Yep, beat me to it.
    If you want to make points with Fergie, avoid the international games if you possibly can.
    Seems to me that international duties have helped push some out the Old Trafford door.
    But, I guess when you consider the big money involved and possible impact on the season, an argument could be made..........

17. 18214

18214 New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    new jersey
    You guys are really reaching now....all he said was if there is a clash between club/country he would rather Bruce and SAF figure it out....he never said anything about being number 1....just relax!

18. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    How have we changed? I must have missed something. Could someone please explain this?

20. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Try the link in the post before yours. It explains the new qualifying system, which still has to be approved by FIFA.

21. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because he is the best American goal keeper since Robert Hatch.

22. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Agreed. Bruce picked Tony Meola during the road match against Barbados, leaving Brad and KK with their club teams.

23. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    And he came up with a huge save in the 60th minute or so to keep us in it. Sure, we eventually won 4-0, but it was getting awfully dodgy.

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    if we assume that we can beat st. kitts etc. with out second stringers, we may go the way of the u.s. olympic baseball team in mexico yesterday. they're the defending champs and they've been booted out of the big dance.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROFLMAO!!!

and if your not sure who he is talking about...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083284/