Howard/Spector: Crewe v. United, 10-26 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by IMOX77, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Fire-Chop

Fire-Chop New Member

Jun 8, 2004

Obviously Howard did not start well this year. The Bolton and CL mistakes sent him to the bench, and he probably deserved it.

Admitedly, I am always happy to see ManU drop points, but to blame the dropped points early this season on Howard is assanign.

Is it Howard's fault that ManU only scored five goals in the first five matches? No. Was it Howard's fault that Dickov was given all day to turn and shoot? No. Was it Howard's fault that Gudjohnsen was left unmarked in the box? No.

Blame the 2 points dropped against Bolton and the 2 points dropped against Lyon, but Howard wasn't the only guy out there early this season.

As far as Carroll being a top 3 keeper, a month is a pretty short time to judge a keeper. But in that time, I do not think I have seen anything from Carroll that would cause me to put him ahead of Cech, Robinson, Lehmann or Sorensen

2. mtkstriker

mtkstriker New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Montauk,New York
    For those of you who haven't seen Rossi play, your in for quite a treat. I have MUTV so here is my assesment of the youngun. It seems to me that he is a lefty, yet he can also shoot just as easily with his right eveidenced by the goal everyone saw about a month ago. His dribbling skills are immense, reminds me of Giggs, with his speed and control of the ball. He justs puts his head down and blows by people all the while never losing touch of the ball in front of him by touching it with his left constantly.Its amazing how he has that much control on the ball. Very good control in tight spaces. Good shot,can pass the ball well.He's gonna be a star.Just hope he picks the US.Imagine if Weah and Rossi didn't choose their respective countries instead of US, we could have a frontline in 2010 with the options of Adu,Weah Jr.,Johnson,Rossi.Incredible,it still could happen but the odds are against us.

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I edited your post so that it would make a little more sense.

4. pivo6

pivo6 New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    IIRC, Carroll hasn't signed a new contract with ManUtd yet. so the chances of Howard moving are pretty slim. Unless, of course, the price is right, or Howard demands out.

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mtkstriker, are you referring to Weah Sr.?

Carroll wants to leave if he is not named the No.1 GK. If SAF brings in a 3rd keeper (after booting Ricardo); whom is allowed to compete and does win the No.1 Job. Then Carroll will definately leave.

6. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    regardless of ruuds ban id expect one of rooney, saha and smith to start. Saha and smith more likely and since both of them havent played that much lately a few games wont kill them.

carroll has done well and a few might be changing their opinion of him. I cant see what lehmann, robinson and sorenson have over him (current form) and cech is a strange one since they play so defensive he hardly has to make a save.

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how many saves has Carroll had to make? Against Arsenal?

I thought Carroll played well against Arsenal, with his one save being very good, but Ferdinand was immense.

Once again, this in no way implies that Howard got a raw deal or has a future at ManU; it is soley a comment on Carroll.

8. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    I simply can't agree. Carroll is enjoying the same solid defensive line that Howard did at the beginning of his tenure. Just like Howard during that period, he's rarely been tested, and has made the occasional great save when called upon. His distribution is not particularly strong. Still, provided MU continue to win, you have to stay with him in the side.

9. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    The arsenal game didnt make or break my point about carroll but hes had a few 1v1. He did well in the game at highbury last season as well as the semi final in the fa cup. From what i saw he saved them in europe last week and made some good saves vs birmingham. I also give him a plus for standing up to henry.

And also to clarify im not saying carroll is the only reason they are doing better in defense im saying hes a good keeper and hardly ever lets them down(think they only lost like 2-3 games with him in goal since summer01)

10. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    read this is the mutv´s probable team

Howard
    Spector, Brown, McShane, O'Shea
    Bellion, Djemba, Fletcher, Richardson
    Smith, Saha

so its pretty much as they strong as they could put out with that squad

11. Fire-Chop

Fire-Chop New Member

Jun 8, 2004

I am not denying that Carroll has done well and played solidly.

I think Carroll is a solid premiership keeper that will do well at United or another club (probably another club). However, I have seen Lehmann, Robinson, Sorensen and Cech make fantastic saves for their teams and helped to pick up points. I have not seen any great saves from Carroll, a testiment to his defenders.

Only Lehmann has a defense that is on the same level that Carroll had over the last month or so.

But, the real point is, a month is not long enough to truly judge a keepers worth. So it is a pretty bold statement to put a keeper that has a couple of month's experience as the top 3 in the Premiership or top 15 in the world.

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Rossi played for Italy's U-18 team earlier today (game ended at 11 am US time). I don't know how many minutes he played, but he was in while I was watching in the second half (and yes, IMOX, it was definitely him and it was definitely today). He may have come on as a sub. I imagine he COULD make it back to be on the bench for this game, but I'd be surprised if he sees action except perhaps as a late late sub.

13. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is this on .. MUTV ?????

14. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, tape delay. After the game ends thats when MUTV will be showing the game.

15. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for clearing that up because i know on the Italian u18's roster there was a Rosi from Roma. I guess he probabley was not going to get any time tonight and was allowed to go and play for Italy's u18's. He was part of the original Carling Cup squad for today thats why i thought there might have been some confusion.

I wish SAF would release Spector with so much ease to play for US u20's when he is called upon as he did Rossi. Last spring SAF denied Spector from playing in game against Brazil in Florida even though Man Utds season was over.

16. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Spector seems to be the new O'Shea, if that probable team is correct. Useable at any place in the back four, which at this point in his career can't hurt his chances of playing time.

Just don't want to be known as the jack of all trades, master of none, in the long run.

17. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am watching MUTV right now thru soccerstreams.com , but they said the game is tomorrow, which makes it sound they are 24 h behind ?

they about to show sunday's the Man U - Arsenal game

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    It's surprising to me, too. I can only think that - fearful of getting lost on the radar of the insular Italian system - Rossi might've insisted on including in his contract that he be released for x number of friendlies.

19. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I think they just said Spector is on the bench? And Howard to start in goal

20. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I wouldn't go to Master of None ... yet. I think he's still being considered for possible positions. It might be easier to break into the ManU first team on the right rather than in the center right now. Remember 2 years ago this kid was a forward.

If he's not used in the center, it would be natural to use him on the right. O'Shea is more suited to the left from what I've seen, and from what I've read... McShane is NOT a candidate to play as a fullback.

But I agree... being "good at all, but not the best at any one" can lead to a journeyman career... and I'd like this guy to be a standout.

21. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Im not sure when i was watching the Reserves team highlights last night they said tommorow they will show the game. You might be right though i guess we will just have to wait and see.

22. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Correct.

Howard; DJ-DJ, Brown, O'Shea, Richardson; Bellion, Fletcher, Kleberson, Miller; Smith, Saha

Subs:

Spector
    Blake
    Ricardo
    Pique
    Eagles

23. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Thats a strange lineup, only 2 pure defenders in the lineup. I dont know if this is an experiment or if SAF doesnt trust the younger defenders. I would be shocked if Spector doesnt find his way on the pitch sometime tonight

24. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Now that is a messed up lineup.
    2 defenders in Brown and O'Shea
    2 forwards in Bellion and Saha
    2 defensive mids in DJ^2 and Kleberson
    2 attacker/mids in Miller, Smith
    2 mids in Richardson and Fletcher

The often feared 1-2-2-2-2-2
    Was this something Steve Sampson faxed to Sir Alex this morning?

25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    You have got to be kidding! I thought he (SAF) said he was through tinkering???