Howard/Spector: Crewe v. United, 10-26 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by IMOX77, Oct 24, 2004.

1. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/s...united_look_to_avoid_derailment_at_crewe.html

-quote From Sir Alex Ferguson
    Howard may also get a chance to get a game but is not a certain as is Spector

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Spector To Play Tuesday In Carling Cup

Ferguson always plays his reserves and younger players in this competition-- and should United advance with a win over Crewe, I would continue to expect Spector and possibly Howard to see action here.

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

That Spector is playing isn't shocking, I expected it really, but its good to hear none the less.

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
  5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You sure could-- that's hardly a "B" team at all. That might even finish mid-table in the top-flight, provided that it stays healthy.

All things considered, chances would be pretty good that both Howard and Spector will crack the first XI tomorrow.

What time is kickoff, by the way? Sounds like I might have to wake up pretty early for this one over here...

6. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003

pretty sure its the same time as the cl games.

would be nice to see rossi there. Read that the coaching staff rated are as excited by him as ronaldo and rooney.

wouldnt go as far as saying that team would be certain of some good position in the league. There are some decent players there but most of them have it all to prove still

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Make sure to check www.socceraudio.com to see if the game is being webcast.

8. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY

If your talking about an audio feed http://www.1054centuryfm.com/ brodcasts every Manchester United game. You have to register to get the feed but its quick and fee.

The game is at 2:45pm eastern time.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like a good opportunity for Spector to once again show off his skills. With the length of the EPL season and the odds of injuries I think Spector will again have a chance to get some 1st team minutes. I see where his potential in unlimited and I really have this gut feeling that he'll earn his spot at Man U for seasons to come. Hopefully it will be sooer than later. BTW, what's the deal w/Rossi, have we/he shown any interest in representing the States?

10. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

I don't want to take this from Spector (unless Rossi also makes it into this match) but want to address the last line.

To my knowledge (and I keep checking every week or so) many posters (including myself) have asked the same thing. So far, I have seen nothing from Rossi to say he has made any statement claiming he "would" or "would not" desire to play for the USA. What is understood is that his father wants him to play for Italy, and thats what he has done in the youth system. But is is not tied to Italy. While he's not yet at a point for either country's national team, if he continues to progress as he is, he may become good enough for either. If he stays in England, it may bode well for the USA as Italy doesn't often call in players that play outside the country and if he and Spector can form a bond...

Ok, now back to Spector.

11. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA

Spector'll just keep taking his starts and biding his time....He is Man U's future at L. Back, and I'll bet we see him play in early FA Cup matches, as well.

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know that the BBC's website had audio on a lot of the Worthington Cup matches last year. Not sure if they'll do it again this year, but it too is worth a shot.

The Beeb's main Sport site

Also, if it starts at the same time that a typical Champions League match does, that would make the kickoff at 4:30 a.m. Melbourne time for me... yikes!! :eek:

At least I have to be up early to get the train into work in Melbourne anyway...

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Quote From SAF

Basically the same quote as before but this time he states Spector "will...play."

While I think SAF would like to give Howard a start here I think he needs to play Ricardo. Howard should get the early FA Cup matches.

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point, that. However, seeing that Man Utd and all Premiership teams do not enter the F.A. Cup until the 3rd round that takes place in January (usually), that would be too late if Ferguson wants to put Howard on display for other clubs, in terms of the transfer window opening.

In that spirit, I'd hope he gets the start in the League Cup.

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the pending charge against RVN. With RVN likely possibly receiving a 3 match ban, Smith and/or Saha may not see the pitch tonight. This has two implications for us here at YA.

1. Rossi probably will play. While none of us know if he will ever play for the USA or Italy (or either), the sooner he makes a name at United, the sooner we will have our answer.

2. United stand a better chance at losing this match. This would be a shame for Spector, Howard, and Rossi...especially Spector. Howard has had his chance to shine (and will again). Rossi will get his soon enough. Spector though, needs these matches badly. He is at the point now where a few good results in Cup matches would send a few of the guys ahead of him packing during the next two transfer windows.

16. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Bellion is good enough for this, esp. if one of Smith/Saha can play.

17. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you are too lazy to do all that, I think the listen live link for Manure works on the England page of socceraudio. Six and one half dozen really.

18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I certainly get where you're coming from but I don't think United needs to display Howard now in order for other teams to be interested in his services. I doubt United would sell him yet, so they wouldn't be boosting a transfer fee by playing him.

You're right about the FA Cup being a little late to bring Howard back, but this match seems to be a little early. I would start Ricardo as he deserves a look. Howard should then get some reserve action in the next few weeks. United will learn a lot more about Howard's form in a reserve match than they will against an overmatched (possibly) foe today.

That said, I certainly wouldn't be upset to see Howard play today. :)

20. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.rednews.co.uk/
    Its nothing definite but it seems SAF is leaning to play Howard.

21. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Howard needs these matches now. They cant wait til FA Cup. Right now its best if Howard plays these matches tthats way more teams will want to buy when the transfer window opens. Right now Carroll is the #1 and he is better than Howard right now. Unless Carroll lest in 10 goals in one match he will be the #1 for the whole season. If Howard can play League Cup and have some good matches then teams will probably want to buy in January. He had some bad matches this year and he needs to prove that he is still a quality keeper.

22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Why do you guys think ManUtd would sell one of the best young keepers in the world? They may loan him if they buy an in-form vet during the window but I just can't see them selling him unless he requests it or somebody offers 4-7 million pounds. Neither is likely to happen, regardless of him starting this match.

23. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Possibly because Roy Carroll is only 27 years old (Howard is 25) and playing much better than Tim these days. If Carroll continues his current form, they'd be nuts to let him leave just to give Howard another chance and I don't see Carroll going back to a backup role unless his form drops severly. Bottom line... Carroll is a good keeper.

This is pro sports ... sometimes you only get 1-2 chances with a club. It doesn't make Howard a bad player. Lets see... what other American keepers abroad have been dropped only to have success with another team: Keller, Friedel, Hahnemann, Feuer, Cannon, am I missing anyone?

Selling Howard might be a great thing for them financially as they didn't pay much for him at all...

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They won't get much for him, as it stands now.

He's got to play for him to be worth something.

25. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Carroll is easily a top 3 keeper in the premiership right now. He might even be in the top 15 in the world right now. He has not let in a goal in 3 matches. He kept Arsenal goaless that is like the biggest thing any keeper can do.Tim had a great first season but, this season he was horrible. He cost United alot of points like the Bolton match.It would be best if he went somewhere else.